Siege engine crew, workhorses

Siege engine crew, workhorses

I think it’s too late for the workhorses. But the development team has selected the feedback for the siege engine crew during the technical stress test.

There is hope. But you shouldn’t ask too much of them. The game will be released in a month…

In the worst case. Hope they add the golden ghosts to all siege engines when they reload (like the trebuchet). It’s better than nothing. And it gives a little life to these units (even though i prefer real people).

7 Likes
2 Likes

that would be cool, to bring more realism to the game.

2 Likes

I remember cannons being lugged around like that in AoE3, and if you clicked away after the siege engine crew/horses had already started their slow animation to prep the cannon for firing (the moments where you can take your hand off the mouse and take a swig of your favorite cola to watch the animations unfurl :)), if you were to change your mind and want them to attack elsewhere or move a little bit, the crew/horses would spin around again to have to pick it up, then spin around again to prep the cannon for firing, then spin around again, and again, and so on – depending on your mouse-clicks. It felt a little sloppy, in my opinion. When there’s a whole battle raging on, having to micro the cannons so much and wait for their slow and laborious animations to play out was a little frustrating, imo.

AoE3 is all about speeding up the gameplay, favoring offense rather than defense, and engaging in battles. I’m surprised they let siege engine crews slow the game down. There would be more cannon explosions per minute if siege engine crews weren’t constantly spinning around and slowly lifting/dropping mortars all the time

If AoE4 does siege engine crews, I hope that they are the yellow highlight ghosts rather than actual units, are toggleable (on/off), customizable (transparency, color, etc.), and hope they don’t affect the siege turns/movements at all like they do in AoE3

that’s the point, they should not release the game in it’s current state, they need to realized they made some mistakes with UI, siege crew, unit graphic details also game play issues like input delay and others… releasing the game in current state will just affect the sales a lot.

1 Like

Age lll physics! amazing

2 Likes

Cause embarrassment not own.

But it was not because of the operators or the transport. That was fixed in the last patch. The problem was that it changed from siege mode to transport mode every time you selected a target even if it was close.

The siege must be slow. With heavy weapons and that is why they were operated by many soldiers. In real life it would be much slower. (Hours and days)

AOE-4’s siege weapons are also slow and clunky, taking time to set up and fire and disarm. This is how siege masters work.

They are actually more clumsy than the AOE-3 siege weapons, because these weapons do not rotate like the AOE-3 siege weapons. If the target is not in front of them, you must depoise yourself and install yourself again to be able to aim at the target.

6 Likes

I think they did pretty good research on the Battle of Mohi when the Mongols fought with the European army and tried to cross the bridge. The Europeans fortified the bridge and defended it with archers and crossbowmen so the Mongols couldn’t cross it. But after a few days, the Mongols brought catapults to kill the archers and it actually worked. The European archers couldn’t reach the siege engines so they received a huge casualty from catapults. Soon the Mongols crossed it and defeated their enemies.

We’ll see how it goes. AoE4 hasn’t launched, and I didn’t pay a ton of attention to siege movements in Tech Stress Test.

I’m okay with siege being a little slow and lumbering. They are siege, after all. I’d cringe, though, if I had to watch horses and siege spin around 180 degrees to slowly drop the siege, deploy, and shoot it, and then the same again to move it 10 pixels to the left, and so on. Or watch 4 guys slowly lift a seige up from the ground, move it, then set it down, shoot… and the same again to move it 10 pixels ro the right. (AoE3 I’m looking at you)

AoE2 has a good balance for my tastes. Trebs need to pack and unpack. That’s an enjoyable unique trait compared to other siege units in the game that are speedier. Trebs have gotten maybe a little too fast and easy to use for my tastes in AoE2.

1 Like

funny you say that… cus they actually are making CoH3. And they’re being a lot more transparant with their fanbase about it’s development than they are with this.

Um, how does this have anything to do with me saying that AoE is not CoH?
And even if your comment was relevant, the post was from April 13, CoH3 was announced in July

I know, so thanks for making CoH3 a reality :slight_smile:

You’re welcome

what game is this?? :heart_eyes:

I would just keep in mind that creating a bunch of new models, textures, rigging them and animating them takes a lot of work and time, especially when the team is in crunch mode because the game releases in 11 days.

Just my 2 cents :smiley:

Its a big studio, they have prerendered animations, textires, models, etc, 11 days is a lot of time for such a big studio, but I think they will just not add them, bad decision IMO

when it comes to something small like crew for siege, they most likely did not make any, so there would not be anything pre-rendered. Models, they could probably reuse, but animations would need to be made, as well as new textures since if they decided to go that way, they would make them look unique.

11 days is not enough, especially when the team is in crunch mode to get the game finished. Id rather them take their time to sort out the bugs, rather than make new models and animations. They can do that later if they want to add it in.

2 Likes

Guys I know this is not the first time that me or someone else does this call out but seriously… we need men moving those medieval magical engines (lol)…

We can certainly see some visual upgrades in the latest stream, especially on units. The game is looking sharper (crispier) and smoother and units are looking much better now, but having unmanned siege units looks so cringe (respectfully) in a realistic atmosphere, it is just a NO. (they even look abandoned or inofensive)

/and please stop the excuse of performance or visibility because there are golden annoying almost not noticeable boys on them, which mean you can add a crew on them instead of those golden boys/. We are 2021 and we have beautiful art design and graphics, please add a crew on them. It really makes the game lose its credibility and look cheap if you dont…

And again please add better siege destruction animations and bigger stones/cannon balls on them. It is really hard to see where they fired their bullets or stones or what they hit. Oh and speaking of that, in age of empires 3, when the cannons shoot against a building, that part that has been hit goes flying in pieces, in age of empires 4, it does not happen like that; the hit part remains the same and rather other pieces fall from some place that has not been hit…

That is the only thing I ask for, it is a deal breaker for me and I am sure many other people too. The great graphics and art design definitely are not matching with siege weapons.

Plus it was a great step forward to have crew and great siege animations in AoE 3, I am quite sure that anyone who played the 3 games of the saga would expect another step forward and not backwards…

And here are some comments from people asking for them…

Capture4

12 Likes

Than you will have to have melee between the crew and attackers instead of torches which would complicate things. Also this is not squad type of a game.

4 Likes

You don’t need to beg lol, they don’t listen, just don’t buy the game is the only way to talk to these people…

8 Likes