So, Relic is moving on to something new, while World's Edge is procrastinating?!

I’m really on the fence about AoE4’s graphics as I can only judge via screenshots and videos by the developers. I would really need to try the game in order to see to produce a better judgement on it. What I can say is, in direct comparison, CoH looks more colourful and vibrant. AoE4 has its own style which isn’t necessarily bad, but there appear to be some scaling and unit animation issues - but it is entirely possible that is/has been addressed.

I eagerly await the beta so I can judge it more fairly once I am able to try it out for myself.

4 Likes

Yes, i wanna play Always with 4k because this Is the native resolution of my monitor but i read the message and i tried to chance setting on medium and resolution on 1080 but i didn’t see more performance improvements. So i played in 4k as well. The only thing that i found are performance issues but i think It’s pretty normale for a pre-alpha.

I’ll try to post some screenshot this week-end

1 Like

thanks for the replay :wink:
Always interesting to see others thoughts on topics dear to oneself. And its great to read about such honest and neutral opinions :smiley:

2 Likes

phew, I dont know, it may be just me. Or the coh formula :smiley: Or the artstyle actually being quite dark- who knows :smiley:

It’s not only a matter of different Styles but AOE4 seems not have “materiale textures” and this Is the One reason for the “plastic sensation”, i think.

I don’t have any problema with brillant or colourful graphic but models and units have to be detailed.

1 Like

Not sure if they are missing, or they chose said style. Because it can also be a part of the artstyle.
However I on the other hand seem to have that issue on Cohs side, it just doesnt seem fitting to me personally.
So I am not sure if maybe its more about artstyle then technical stuff like textures.

I agree that the first age 4 models of units were undetailed, but with the e3 Stream, the ones shown there I thought had enough details. After all you seldom see them in RTS from THAT clsoe. WHich in CoH changes now because of the pause option. Maybe a good reason for more details :wink:

1 Like

Yeah haha, CoH3 is “very readable”, to the point that each squad has a big icon showing what type of unit it is, because of “how readable it is”.
Nope, on the contrary, it is almost impossible to differentiate units in CoH, culprit here being the more realistic graphics, but that is by design. It is a squad based game with a more realistic gameplay than AoE and so they build on the edges of that unreadability by hovering big unit type icons on top of them. As a person who has also played a lot of CoH I can tell you that when you play CoH you are not going to click on the units, but on those icons, you mostly watch those icons - not the units, you basically play with the icons. The game is also a lot more slower than a classic RTS like Age and with less units on the field, so you have time to do that.

Lots of people here have no idea what they are talking about, they haven’t really played CoH to understand the differences, yet they just like to throw a tantrum with everything.

In AoE it wouldn’t work because it is about selecting and microing single units out of a way more lot of them.

3 Likes

Very readable units …

Honestly, this frame hurts the eyes.
You know, no. With all due respect to Relic, it would be better if they got into DoW or a new franchise, COH 3 looks bad.

3 Likes

This needs to be knocked out in gold in the cap of this branch.

2 Likes

To be fair it’s not a good idea to say COH3 looks better when it’s only in the pre-alpha state, especially when AOE4 has already given us a very decent beta public testing long before the release, so they have enough time to fix any problem.

1 Like

I actually played previous coh, but not a lot because I somehat dislike squad gameplay, but thats not the point.

You are probably right i wouldnt click sole units but the symbol. BUT the current MAX zoom level actually makes it VERY hard for me to not click singualar units. If i could zoom out 2 steps more the game might feel VERY different to me :smiley:

1 Like

keep in mind there is tsill 1 year to go and they just want us to test out the general gameplay ideas. of cours ethe graphics will be polished, but we are not nearly at that stage. However its ooks neat for what it is I think at the moment.
BUT in no way better than age 4 :slight_smile:

1 Like

ohh the irony. but its true. because it doesnt look better YET. It just looks more realistic. It may very well look better though.
And we dont know how age 4 looks at this point until we finally get said beta.

1 Like

The very first thing COH fans get after the announcement of their sequel is already better than anything we have got so far for AOE4 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Time to download this, and see if it runs on my PC.

1 Like

Duuuude, this looks awesome.

I don’t understand people at all. They compare the game about the Second World War and the RTS in the style of Civilization … Can you also compare ice cream with a cutlet? They’re both food. Finish, this branch starts calling cringe.
These are completely different games. And instead of being happy that next year we will have another new RTS, completely different gameplay, people are starting to compare their graphics, realism (I don’t understand adherents of realism at all, these are strange people) and so on. It’s just the finish …

1 Like

Wow COH3 looks fantastic!

1 Like

that entirely depends on your focus.

now thinking about marketing - I think there can never be a better approach than what coh3 does.
Because everyone can freely play and talk about their experience. this creates much more chatter and for longer than a simple stream reveal of 1 nation^^

2 Likes

I loved both Coh3 and Aoe4, but come on don’t compare a pre-alpha game with a game ready to be released.

1 Like