Some fun sprite creation

But the feedback is still important, they have similar ###########

The kite shield unit looks great but it needs to be a bit more robust. Looks abit flat, esp the shield. Maybe a generic pattern on the shield would be better than the lion.

Good feedback! The shield is a bit flat yes, will look into it thank you.

I’ve changed up the Man at Arms a bit, giving him a few differences. I’ve tried to approach it differently, the kite shield is a bit smaller to make it more similar to the original MAA.

I changed the helmet and added the “hood thingy” since the colored helmet was very close to the Serjeant.

I might do a few more passes, but I think it looks quite solid. Kept the units quite simple to not overdo them and more detail towards the later upgrades.

7 Likes

For the legs, I might advise looking more at the crossbowman. The boots should be darker, and the pants should probably be white, as that’s one of the graphical conventions AoE2 units seem to have.

2 Likes

Ngl that man at arms looks beautiful, can’t wait to try this mod when it’s done.

1 Like

That looks beautiful. Got discord?

1 Like

Fair point I will look into your feedback, thank you!

1 Like

also would be nice if you give a proper pipeline process for it. Time taking to render and so on.

beautiful units both. How would it be possible to make them match the resolution and crispness of the crossbowmen for example? May be similar shoes/boots would help? Otherwise the unit looks stunning. Also the men at arms unit with the hero aura.

I can share some of it probably :thinking:

What takes most time is adjusting and fixing. Everything depends on how well you know 3D modelling and setting up cameras + lighting.

2 Likes

Are (at least some of) the animations reusable? If yes, maybe you can make some units like this?

1. Dismounted crusader with sword (or axe) and shield, wearing black clothes. Can be a Hospitaller…probably?

2. Swordsman with rudimental shield, wearing early Eastern European style armor, probably…like the pagan Baltic tribes?

1 Like

It will take some time :thinking: I have to 3D model everything and some animation sharing is possible!

But I will finish the reskin collection first and foremost :grin:

2 Likes

Want to see how the longswordsman is progressing now… :partying_face::

1 Like

I will work on it whenever I have time! Lots of work and was on a work trip away this week.

3 Likes

Will you make some vessel sprites apart from these, like the galleass or the fluyt?

With blender’s keentools geo-tracker it’s possible to change shield/helmets/parts of the body through object tracking. But it’s kinda hard to mask. Might need to edit frames manually. Idle frames will be easy but others can be very hard. With given enough time, its possible to have region diverse units working.

1 Like

Can someone make the Men At Arms and Long Swordsmen to have curved scimitars and round shields? That would easily make Eastern European/Middle Eastern swordsmen.

Seems that you can try to render these awesome models into AOEII format sprites and make reskin mods. There must be lots of players waiting for this.

If you meant for me, yes!

It is possible, it just takes a bit of time and polishing takes ages, there are some reskin mods already uploaded. I will link them again if any of you have missed these.

Unfortunately my time is quite limited and other projects to take precedence, specifically my own game development projects and ofc working does take a load of time :slight_smile: