-Standard Poll -Regarding Nomad being an entirely separate game mode that should not be inside the standard starts random script map queue. Among other suggestions - Standard Poll -

again, just because you call it another game mode does not make it true.

other game modes as they are seen in the game settings

empire wars - start in feudal with a small town
regicide - last king standing wins
king of the hill - control monuments
death match - start with hordes of resources and in post imp
battle royal - no villagers just control ‘bases’ and take over the map
sudden death - lose your tc and you lose
capture the relic - grab relic in center to win
defend wonder - player 1 has wonder. must hold to win
wonder race - build wonder to win.

now what do these all have in common? either alternate win conditions or alternate starting ages.
please tell me which of these applies to nomad?

want another way that nomad is obviously not a game mode? These game modes can be played on pretty much any map you want - meanwhile nomad has set maps designed for it.

1 Like

But I would take any bet that it will stay at 80:20 Ratio +/- 5 No Matter how Long we wait.
As i said in one of the countless Other topics where this got brought up: the Same arguments could Made about Arena. Arabia ELO doesnt translate 1:1 to Arena.
The only thing that stays is the non “Standard” start. In fact nomad start ist so much more relaxed. Not much to do, quite nice actually. Also the Standard BO ist the Same the First 11 vills or so No Matter what your strat is. I dont know. Maybe it doesnt translate but the Same could be Said about Other Maps. The non standard start is at least imo easier and after that its all about scouting and adapting. And big plus more is that its moslty Not the standard Knights/xbow Meta. Why i think its so popular in the first place.
Arena is an insta ban for me, nomad insta ban for you. I think thats fair. Or we give an elo for each map. Arabia and its Clones, Arena, Yucatan, für lakes, Islands, Team Islands an so on, since they all require different skills and have different gameplay…

3 Likes

or black forest, or water maps, or hybrid maps for that matter.

5 Likes

In age of empires 1 it was properly labled, and unfortunately it was unable to be added in properly in age 2, they had to make map scripts especially for it just for it to exist again without screwing too much with every single map script due to it being unable to be properly added via the button like regicide and death match.

Same developers, same idea, different implementation method due to the obvious; You wouldn’t want villagers to randomly spawn in resources where they may be unable to escape at the start of the game much like sheep and other resources and boar/deer would sometimes do.

And you’ll have to notice that nomad maps are specifically labeled as nomad and/or contain the nomad feet in the picture so that the game mode nomad is easily sorted from the standard map scripts.

this isn’t age one though is it? If you want age 1 style settings, you can have them. they exist. in age 1. age 2 is a different game in many ways. should we have 50 population maximum? no gates? No castles? Because that’s all age 1 settings too.

Map surroundings that you adjust and account for matter not, the standard start on the other hand matters a bunch. Nomad vs standard elo(ranking) does not trade 1:1, and the map could be forest nothing, still contain the standard start, and I would consider it fair game in the standard ranked queue. Arabia, black forest, arena, islands, socotra, runestones, 4 lakes, hybrids in general, etc all have one thing in common that bind them properly to this queue, and that’s the standard start, the groundwork for this game mode.

Nomad is not relaxed, you start without a scout, and without a town center as well as with very limited time to find a proper space or face falling behind severely.

All while wasting valuable villager time on scouting and trying to find the optimum way to scout with a villager and knowing when to stop.

Is it labeled as a different game mode under the lable of nomad and/or the nomad feet? Yes. No other map contains such labels because they are properly standard map scripts.

If another game mode required a map to be specifically tailored for it to exist, it would no doubt be labeled instead of being added to the standard separate mode drop box like regicide and death match.

this right here tells me exactly how little you play nomad.

no, its labeled a different map. just like a closed map is a closed map. an open map is an open map. a hybrid map is a hybrid map.

no, they have other labels like open, closed, water, hybrid, etc. just like some maps have walls on them

just because you repeat a lie doesn’t make it true.

1 Like

Yeah, you See, thats where your Argumentation ist flawed. It all comes down to Not having a tc and no scout. Thats it. The “ELO doesnt translate” argument is bs. Since ELO doesnt translate in many ways. But that only Matters for nomad. “Surroundings dont Matter” yeah but they do matter i think even more than the start. But thats just my opinion.
I would get it If you Said, yeah, Arena should have its own Queue its to different from Arabia, hybrid maps its own and nomad its own. That would make sence in some way. since being good at Arena doesnt make you good on Arabia and Vice versa, but it is only nomad that shall be shoved in its own Queue… That makes no sence at all and feels only Like personal preference

1 Like

Map contents as far as what the land contains and what lable those are put under for ease of user knowledge does not counter the fact that nomad labels showcase the direct changing of what the user actually starts with.

It would not make sense to put different land types in different queues. It does however make sense to place different starts and modes in different queues. Such as nomad, entirely different start from every map script out there.

they absolutely do. common start for a closed map includes walling asap. the type of map and your surrounds actively change how the game is played.

just like nomad label is there for. so yuo know that map is going to be a nomad start.

just like a hybrid map or a water map changes what the user starts with. or a closed map. different maps are played differently. just because you want to view it as a different game mode doesn’t make it so.

heres the utlimate test heal - can i play nomad start on blackforest? what about islands? What about arabia?
because i can play any of those game modes listed above on any map. but i can’t do that with nomad.

so i guess nomad isn’t a seperate game mode, just a seperate map type. much like closed or open maps.

OK i see, just build a TC in the First woodline you find and Scout with sheep.
For me its very relaxing compared to Arabia Start where you have to find your rescoures, Push deer, Micro Eco, Scout opponent, harras enemy vills while being harrased. Thats all pretty nonexistend on nomad. In arabia i have an eapm of 40-60 in dark age on nomad 10-30. I can Play with one Hand the First 8 or so Minutes of the Game. I cant do that on Arabia.

exactly. gives you a couple minutes of nothing more then way pointing sheep.

1 Like

How you account for map surroundings and change the way you approach the map individually is well and enough for standard map script variety. The standard start is the foundation of the mode, and regardless of surroundings it remains the initial building block for its standardized elo regardless of map surroundings.

Nomad requires a different elo bracket because it removes that very foundation.

which is what you do with nomad.

according to your view of standard start anyway. and no, its not standardized for elo. someone could play arabia only and get 2k elo, but that isn’t going to mean anything on islands.

it doesn’t though. it just modifies the start. much like a closed map. or a hybrid map.

again - can you play nomad on any map in the game? no. you can’t.
does it change the starting age? NO. it doesn’t.
does it change the victory condition? NO. it doesnt.
therefore its not a separate game mode.

My nomad elo is around 800-900ish, I would love to play it at that elo, not at 1100-1200ish elo where I will be defeated 99% of the time while I learn the game mode.

whats your water elo? your hybrid map elo? closed map elo?

Within 100 of my elo either above or below, which doesn’t vary much at all because I can adjust thanks to the standard start. Elo is variable, and your ability to adjust to the map surroundings starting with the basic foundation of the standard start is very important and basic to the mode.

Or is it because you Play them more often? Really If you can Play Arabia at 1200 ELO with a Bit of practise, and you basicly only need practise the TC, Dock and First 5 vills on wood stuff and Then you are fine. Its Not that hard and i believe ELO between nomad and Standard Arabia hybrid Players translated way better then ELO between Arena only and Arabia only Players

1 Like