Suggestions for The Return of Rome DLC

I made a thread about New Generic Unit ideas a while ago.
There is a lot of overlap between your list and my list.

1 Like
1 Like

With a Vietnamese civ appearing in Return of Rome, it should be just called Viets rather than Lac Viets because I donā€™t expect that any civ within AoE1 and 2 be having more than one word in their name.

2 Likes

I agree, I was literally startled by the name when I saw it in the trailer lol. Itā€™s a bit weird.

The Lac Viet are fineā€¦because they are the Vietnamese of the Iron Ageā€¦

All the other Asian civs have ancient names too instead of Chinese, Koreans and Japanese.

The problem with the name is rather it being two words, itā€™s very unusual and unprecedented in Age1 and 2. I donā€™t know what the designers were smoking but itā€™s funny nonetheless to see peopleā€™s reactions :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, yeah, you really need to be on drugs to have such a crazy idea asā€¦ checks notes ā€¦giving a civ a two words name.

Please rename Romans civ into Senatus Populus Que Roman^o^us civ.

2 Likes

AoE1 and 2 were traditionally not about civs using more than one word and that is fine. So yeah, the designers shouldā€™ve thought better. If a civ in AoE1 is a have a name with more than one word, then so should a civ in AoE2 as well.

Maybe they should have been called Luoyue, which is another name for the Lac Viet.
But I guess, that there isnā€™t the ā€˜Vietā€™ name in itā€¦ when we probably know that this DLC is heavily marketed to Vietnamese customersā€¦

1 Like

Just SPQR would be cool.

Luoyue wouldā€™ve also been good.

Why does it matter how many words civ name has? If that name is historical then its fine.

2 Likes

SPQR is the motto of the civ, not the nameā€¦Romans is fineā€¦

Yes, but Lac Viet is better known at a general levelā€¦ otherwise it seems like a Chinese name xdā€¦

"Senatus Populusque ########## (SPQR) is the official name of the Roman Empire.
Like ā€œEstados Unidos Mexicanosā€ instead of just ā€œMexicoā€. (Yes Maxico has states too not just the US)

1 Like

It is a motto: SPQR meaning is ā€œFor the Senate and the People of Romeā€, the official name would be Res Publica Romanum or Imperium Romanumā€¦

1 Like

No there is no ā€œforā€. Itā€™s just ā€œThe senate and the people of Romeā€. So it is the name of the Roman state.

A bit weird to use a motto as a state nameā€¦

These are all the names of political states, though, which isnā€™t the convention for naming AoE1 civs. (Not that Iā€™m opposed to the name Lac Viet.)

I find it quite weird that there are countries we refer to as ā€œthe United Statesā€ and ā€œthe United Kingdomā€. Those arenā€™t really the names of those countries, just a description of the type of country. Itā€™s like calling Germany ā€œthe Federal Republicā€, or calling China ā€œthe Peopleā€™s Republicā€. (Or, I suppose, like referring to the Roman Republic as ā€œthe Senate and Peopleā€.)