Teutons change: Crusader Knight upgrade replaces cavalier - remove paladin plus other changes and some for a few different civs

My problem with it, beyond judt feeling unnecessary and better off making it a skin people can use being the right approach is that right now teuton paladins are the paladin thst wins 1v1 against other paladins (or ties lithuanians if they have 4 relics). With this change they lose, or tie if you increase attack speed to 1.9. And they are nerfed vs archers and pike line as well.
For a civ thst is middle of the road it feels like thr wrong direction to go. He also nerfs their castle age knight play, making them worse in castle age.

1 Like

Vs archers, crusader knights and paladins are the same

How much they can tank yes. But they are slower to get to archers. (1.2 speed instead of 1.35) Which is a nerf.

1 Like

That’s true, but considering that usually in 1v1 (besides arena) Teutons hardly make it to palas, I’d consider it a buff

2 Likes

Well considering 1v1 have less palas then tg then it might be a plus but i think the speed deficit is still important

2 Likes

It’s a cool idea to replace cavalier with crusade knight, but I doubt they will ever want to do this because the bonus armor works just fine and having access to paladins is still better overall. As for the TC change for Teutons, that’s kinda too much. I do agree they need light cav upgrade however.

2 Likes

Why is it so hard to make people understand this?

1 Like

And how about CA? 45 vs 40 is a huge nerf along with speed reduction. On top of that CA is already a big trouble for Teutons.

2 Likes

Defense-wise - the +tc range will help push back early cavalry archers from the farming eco or at least cost the enemy more micro of the archers which should help with economy which should help with putting out counters to the mounting enemy forces. It should help to offset the weakened late-game, that being said the addition of light cavalry would help vs archer types greatly.

Yeah you wouldn’t get extra range in early castle age, its just not balanced.

It isn’t a nerf if you compare it to what you normally are able to do on arabia as teutons, which is cavaliers (that can tank 28 shot from full up heavy cas).

Normal tcs already do that. Extra range on tcs would totally kill those kind of pushes, especially considering the lower range of cas compared to xbows. The reason teutons generally sucks against ca is because of their lack of mobility, but if you buff up the tcs that much the problem won’t exists simply because there’s not an effective push against that. When going ca you accept your eco is gonna suck, but you are trading that off for a mobile unit that can exploit a greedy boom. The extra range makes the greedy boom literally the best option possible

If they gave teutons the extra range heal wants they would be hard to push and my guess is it won’t be implemented at all.

They’d istantly become S tier on arabia simply because their boom with extra tc range would be unpushable

3 Likes

The thing is, that is how @HealFortress normally plays, super defensive for the first part of the game, then builds a really weird army comp, and somehow steamrolls people. Hence the push for the range back. It was removed because it was broken, especially how people would start doing the Teutonic Douche and stuff, but by all means, Teutons can be broken again, just because it benefits how one person plays the game.

That ruins part of their identity as the one non-Meso civ that lacks light cav. Also, they don’t really need it I don’t reckon, because they already have buildings like castles with lots of LoS, they have conversion resistance as a bonus, and their army isn’t really a raiding one, it tends to be a massive deathball that pushes really slowly, but it hard to stop.

1 Like

I saw one his games that was casted by pooplord or how he is called, I don’t remember it exactly.

@HealFortress is actually playing far below his potential, has way higher macro and even micro than his opponents and could easily reach like 1600 or even higher elo if he would play meta.
So it’s no wonder that a lot of his games play out like this, he is one of the classical underrated players because of his weird strat choices.

But that’s fine. The game needs this kind of “paradise birds”. That’s entertainment :D.

1 Like

I’d argue that it was removed due to exactly the early-game deathstar tcs and not for any other reason as well as not nerfed or aged up due to limited patch times available so hence switched out for something safer rather than fixing and risking a bad balance change during the time where testing balance changes by the masses wasn’t exactly what I’d call common.

Now it’s back in a balanced(weak) state in the lithuanians and is due for a buff anyways - I see no reason as to why it won’t be brought back to the Teutons in its (weak) state before buffing of the lithuanian version.

If it takes a nerf to the farm discount than so be it

The problem is the only way to bring it back balanced is by locking it behind a castle technology.
Which basically makes it lithuanians unique tech.

Just because you are okay with nerfing their economy to get what you want doesn’t mean otger teuton players want that.

4 Likes

We need proper red cross Templar(lancers) and Grey cloaked Hospitaller (mace maybe?) knights. In addition to the Teutonic Crusader knights.

2 Likes

As scenario editor units? Absolutely.
As skins people can use? Sure why not.
As units added to existing civs. No thanks

5 Likes

Tbh I would like to see some new generic units, or at least some regional units

Particularly for water, I think more variety could help

2 Likes