The AI is terrible

That’s cool. I haven’t had a chance to test all the hiding AI changes yet.
If you find anything else please write it . Thank you!

They always hide tiny things in the updates not mentioned in the patch notes lmao

1 Like

Some other stuff I noticed with and without Jakcie using 2v2 and AI battle mod

AI seems to be way more interested in capture points. Even when the win condition is off they keep capturing them

Byz cicsterns are still capped to 3 or 4 with the landmark

AI build waaay more siege than before. I saw armies with 10 trebs+springs.

Regarding siege AI still has some stuttering with attacking but seems to be way less than before

AI still has the drop off building bug where they spam mining camps / lumber camps. Hard to say about the percents but this happened for 1 civs in 2 games of total 8 civs

1 Like

For each point about my ai

1. Idk if its my ai or the vanilla ai, I try to have the monks capture sites more frequently already

2. idk how to change that

3. That is just my ai, I always wanted to make the ai make more siege. Maybe I should tone it down as the vanilla ai seems to want to do that more each patch

4. Its nice that the stuttering is less than before, its the dev’s win for sure

5. I think that its a specific ai civ problem, I see newer ai civs like byzantine and japanese almost never have this problem compared to the older civs.

1 Like

Last patch AI never captured ccs when the win condition was disabled and now they seem more interested so there seems to be some change regarding that

AI seems to be able to collect from guild hall which they did not do in previous patch
It seems that they collect at around 1000 rescources and change between stone/gold

Default AI walling has also seen some changes, they seem to wall a bit more and if there is forest or something as part of wall which is then cut the may at some point rewall that

I have not seen any "attacking with monk carrying relic since monastery is full bug but that may be rare anyways

1 Like

It seems to me that the AI code that was made with the release of new civilizations was written from scratch and the old AI code remained and it was slightly improved but did not begin to rewrite completely. But I could be wrong.

New Patch coming out soon :slight_smile:

Some new AI improvements

AI

• AI players now have a unique identifying number in the pinned player information.
  • AI villagers now flee when attacked by enemy units.
  • Corrected an issue where certain buildings would prioritize Battering Rams as targets.
  • Japanese AI now makes better use of Shinobi units.
  • Malian AI no longer get hyper focused on building a pit mine to the exclusion of all else.
  • Fixed an issue with Mongol AI not unpacking their starting Town Center.
  • Byzantine AI now place more cisterns.
  • Ottoman AI will no longer turn off military school production.
  • Easy AI no longer produces more than one Scout.

Developer Note: We have found that Easy AI can sometimes be too efficient at using Scouts to explore and take Sheep at this difficulty. We hope this change allows players to have more chances at securing Sheep when exploring the map.

• Adjusted how the Easy and Intermediate AI chooses to advance to the next Age.
  • Easy AI is now adaptive, speeding up or slowing down its Age-up based on the other players in the match. The Easy AI will never surpass the Age of another player in the game.
  • Intermediate AI Ages up slower but can also adapt to faster Age-ups and catch up if needed.
  • Easy AI can now research Wheelbarrow and tier 1 economy technologies.
  • Easy AI can now research tier 1 Blacksmith technologies.
  • Intermediate AI can now only research tier 1 and 2 economy technologies.
  • Intermediate AI can now research tier 1 and 2 Blacksmith technologies.
  • Hard AI can now research all economy technologies.
  • Developer Note: Easy and Intermediate AI are being tuned to help players with ramp up in difficulty. The Easy AI would previously Age up too slow where the Intermediate AI would do so too fast. Additionally, Intermediate AI would research much more Blacksmith, economy, and other technologies compared to the Easy AI. These changes aim to create a more natural difficulty progression.
1 Like

Patch 10.1.48

AI Updates

• Unique AI names have been shortened to use less screen space.

AI Updates (Nomad Mode)

• Fixed a problem in Nomad mode where building your Town Center close to an AI’s Town Center could cause the AI to stop playing. Now, the AI will still start building again in a different location.

Is it me or after the patch 10.0.57 the hardest AI (or higher) wont rush anymore? Even if they have double you army they won’t attack before 15-20 minutes if they are not close to the base. The AI was once much more aggressive

1 Like

I noticed that too!
I hope the developer will fix it in the next patch.

Hi, i had a response from a dev who marked this issue and reported i believe for the next patch.
Thread: Patch 10 Broke AI Rush capabilities

1 Like

Well, All I can say to those who think that players vs. A.I. isn’t important to the community…
That is basically all my friends and I play, almost everyday for months.

I cannot explain why, I love to chill and play AOE~ :smiling_face:

I also want to mention, about the A.I. experience.
I don’t see any difference between hard vs. Hardest, other than, players who join hardest mode, beat the game too fast. So, I tend to join hard mode, because I get to team up with noobs sometimes, to give me more of a challenge. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think there is actually much difference between hard and hardest. The main thing I found is that hard would have a lower cap of villagers and a delay of about 10 seconds per villager made. Pretty much their villager creation is around 30 seconds instead of 20. I can also find the fact that the hard ai retreats much more later compared to hardest and is worse at kiting with archers.

These changes actually makes the hard ai the best ai at around minute 5-10 with the fact they dont make villagers. The 30 second production time gets worse as time goes on so they actually have more resources than the hardest ai and thus a bit more army. Don’t get me wrong, the hardest ai will always beat the hard ai eventually but its interesting to see.

Also the hard AI will try to rush more in the start of the game, but only with 3-4 units just to snipe your villagers. After that nothing, they won’t attack with their army anymore. I usually play from hardest AI to the maximum difficulties with Friends (i don’t remember how they are called in the english version). After 10 - 15 games on patch 10 they just won’t do anything to you, we played a 4 v 4 game on max difficulty and the AI just sit back all the time… we were all under 8k score meanwhile the AIs had around 14k score and could just wipe out us with huge armies, but they just stayed in the base until our team maxed out the army and killed them. A developer reported this anomaly after patch 10 as the AI lacks aggression but they didn’t tell to me that they are going to fix it sadly. I hope with the next fix that the AI’s will prioritize making large armies since age 2, so they will also rush the ages less and give us more fun.

1 Like

if you want, I have an ai mod that I like to maintain that tries to fix some of those bugs. Right now im focused on army timings and sieges if you would like to try

Honestly, aside from “its really good” I dont really get a lot of feedback on the differences between my and the vanilla ai, maybe also from painstakingly comparing the two in random games. Would like to have some sort of actual comparison, especially with problems that can be fixed. If you would like to do that, especially if you have extra friends that would be great.

I also have a modding forum to talk about it too. The op of this post likes to post there too.

1 Like

Hi, i would take i try, but i have also a mod i olay with friends. So i don’t think we can combine them, it’s 300 pop and more resources (more than 20k download). If we can mesh the mods that could be very cool, i also would like to try to learn AI modding, like making it slower at aging up and creating big armies with also lot of villagers since age 1-2. I noticed that AI’s with my mod will always use the 300 pop by the end of the game, but they will not pump all the villagers needed for the economy an army of 200 pop or similar would require. I’d also like to learn scar edit as i think unit and building abilities behaviors are there (Rus hunting cabin gold ability, english abbey king healing aura ecc.)

1 Like

unfortunately, ai modding is pretty limited as there is no access to scar files which means the furthest to my knowledge of ai modding is me modifying what is there in attributes/ai or ai_tuning which is pretty limited or game modes like battlegrounds which the author describes as overriding the ai can do with custom scar files which is currently just fighting.

Its not like current ai modding is worthless, theres workarounds and things like prioritization in fighting and building can be heavily influenced.

I can help you with the villagers, in attributes/ai/ai_statemodel_tunings there is a file that represents each difficulty. In each one they have a hard cap % of villagers that they will make.

Without me doing anything, you can always download it and see the compiled version in your aoe4 modding folder in documents/mygames. Thats how I learned how to get started.

1 Like

As for villagers, do you know how to make the AI mass large armies and attack before aging up?

Thats where you get to the limits, In a way to describe what you can do and cannot do

Programming on why ai should build > XML on how important it is based on numbers

I cannot influence the first part of the decision making process, the ai’s actual reasoning. In my mod, the ai still sometimes goes for fast castles and sometimes even fast 2nd tc, but to slightly avoid stuff like this if I want I could jack up or down the “importance” of buildings/units in the XML file to make ais think its very important for its specific purpose. For example. Infantry units use a decision making process tied to infantry in its code but the base importance number can be changed from vanilla’s 600 to around 1000 which does actually make them be made way more than vanilla. But its base “reasons” cannot be changed, if you can follow me :p. I think its like “I would do this because I have 100 of this” into “I have 10 of this”.

You can also lower the numbers which I do for aging up to imp to stop super fast age ups, even though there are strats tied to imp such as ottomans which I try to leave in.

All of this can be found in ai_economy under production groups. There is also utility entries which I think also works but it is different and does not cover all of the buildings/units.

Sooooo… A.I. doesn’t attack since this last patch 10.1.48. I tried around 30 games between Hard and Hardest difficulties in Quick match. This is what i notice in pretty much, every game: The A.I. will send a few units around 8mins in, but after that. A.I. will sit at their base… so the game experience is boring.
:frowning:
Not only is the A.I. failing at attacking, but man… dailies are broken as well. The two things i get hyped about, playing AOE4. It is starting to become unplayable. :sob: