The Alt+F4 Multiplayer Problem

the long silence from devs about this issue is frankly disgusting.

The idea was that the escalating time ban would apply to disconnects or crashes (including alt f4) in AoE from as soon as the opponents are matched. If players aren’t intentionally causing it to happen, it’s rare enough for this to happen by accident that a 5 minute ban isn’t a huge problem, it would only have a significant impact on people deliberately using alt f4 or disconnecting their internet etc.

Sorry, you ended this paragraph going back to the map issue, which I somewhat agree with. What about wasting one, three or seven players time in a one-sided game, if that can be avoided? What is the point of even starting the game when there is a 500 1v1 ELO discrepancy between the players? Wont that be a waste of even more time, points and cause frustration between players?

Anedoctal:
Yesterday I had three matches with the same player on it (thanks matchmaking). From the waiting room I noticed his winrate was 40-45% for TGs. He was on my team twice.

Without going into too much detail, his average feudal time across all three games was around 14 minutes
 MegaRandom, Wolfhill, Budapest.

The Wolfhill game lasted 18 minutes
 he was dead by minute 12. The longest was 27 mins and that was a MegaRandom 4v4, his flank was dead in Feudal
 In all three he was a liability and to be honest, ruined the game for others.

Not that its his fault. It is not. It is the broken ELO system. But I spent my evening yesterday to play 3 one-sided games that could have been avoided if someone altf4 as they notice imbalanced teams. I still chose not to because its not the players fault, but I can understand the argument. I left the game yesterday very frustrated with the overall quality of the matches. On a day I am not as patient and a bit more selfish, I can see myself altf4ing away from matches like that.

I will try to find better games tonight.

yes, and conflating this with Alt-F4 claiming it can do well to help fix a system that is legitimately broken instead of just fixing the broken system is the worst argument in the history of arguments.

Fix the Alt-F4 problem, and rework TG elo so that it’s not constantly inflating itself, then reset TG elo, instead of acting like Alt-F4, a problem in itself, is a viable and reasonable solution if only it were used more. That’s asinine.

I dont think anyone claims that altf4 is a good solution
 But it is the only tool currently available to players to avoid wasting their times on games they feel like wont be what they are looking for when they click “Find a game”.

3 Likes

your time is not worth more than 7 other players’ time

this is what the alt+f4 people will never understand or accept

no other game allows this. why is aoe so backward? why are we catering to these disrespectful people?

2 Likes

Wish they would just make 2 ranked q’s already, arabia one and mixed maps for the other

They’d have to have separate rankings, which means resetting ELO.

You can’t have people at 2200 ELO who’ve never built a fishing ship and don’t know a water build.

I’ve made this point, and it’s been unpopular, so it’s not happening. They either need to split both rankings and queues into categories, or they need to punish queue dodging in the current system. Pick one.

1 Like

Problem is that the ‘mixed maps’ ladder would be mostly deserted, because Arabia is over represented in the game. If your idea is to become reality, the devs would need to figure out some way to encourage the playerbase to diversify and branch out to other maps, and that is unfortunately also not an easy task at all.

Probably the best thing to do right now would be to make a leave queue button, and add option for players to type descriptions as feedback for analysis.

Then they shouldn’t be playing ranked games. If you play lobby games you can play your map of choice everytime. In ranked it should be your overall ability. There has been a solution all along for those people that only want one map. They just dont want to lose elo because they don’t understand a map.

There needs to be more divisions tbh.

Like have seperate queues for closed maps / open maps / water or megarandom and nomad style maps

If the problem is there are not enough people in queue and 2000 Elo is being matched up with 1000 Elo, then the matchmaker should throw together more 3v3 and 4v4s with a balanced team on both sides. Too often it pits a bunch of 1600+ players against 1400- players and it’s just a waste of time for everyone.

Also team ranked ELO needs to be fixed.

Here’s the problem with the categories thing, and I don’t have an adequate solution (which is probably why it’s unpopular in general) for it: Are the very few nomadic start maps going to have their own category? Because if so, you’ve now got open land, closed land, hybrid, water, and nomadic queues, which is a lot of slices in the pie. If you don’t separate Nomadic start maps from the other categories (there is both a land only nomad and a hybrid nomad) then you’ll have nomad players either complaining that it’s too hard to get a game on Nomad (be it stuck in an unpopular queue or in one with a plethora of maps) or non-nomad players complaining that they’ve been issued Nomad in a queue that shouldn’t allow it.

I think it’s a vastly improved system than the current one and it solves the problems the current one creates but it won’t be without downsides. I think we could get away with pushing nomadic starts into hybrid and making hybrid more a “variety” pool where megarandom could also fit, but it’s far from a perfect solution. But, as I’ve previously stated, I’ve made this exact suggestion multiple times and gained no traction, so I don’t see it happening. It’d be nice.

Sorry, perhaps I wasnt clear.

My whole argument was in favour of altf4 when the team is imbalanced, like the examples I have provided where you have a team of 2x 1300 and 1x 900, and all three somehow have 2200 ELO even though the 900 ELO has 40% win rate.

Map pool should be fixed by allowing more bans. It equals longer queues, but people dodging maps creates the same effect. Cut out the middle man and everyone saves time and frustration. When ELO is so inflated as it is, which punishment would be reasonable per dodge? -50 ELO? -100? Who cares?

Besides the inflation, you now have the dodgers stomping on worse players on every Arabia game (40-50%?)

The funny thing is that the devs can actually use Microsoft’s own trueskill
rating system and fix the team game elo system. They might do a one time adjustment of the team game ratings and then they will balance slowly to the equilibrium.

About map dodging due to preferred map selection, they have to decide what’s best for the community, more maps or more alt+f4 incentives. Probably more ban options and punishing alt f4 would achieve a good equilibrium.

the more time passess without addressing the issue the more people uses the alt-f4 trick.

can’t believe a company that big as microsoft ignores this problem for so long.

1 Like

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/end-the-alt-f4-spam/126652/14?u=atafas

as an idea

All of those that play MP know that this days it takes quite a while to play any team game, the reason is usually quite simple, many peoples only want to play 1 map, or at least they don’t want to play most of the maps (most of them forced through the map rotation even though the majority of players don’t like them). What do this players do? alt+f4 every time the map is set is not the one they want.

It has been discused on AoEZone allready, and the easiest solution is simply to allow for infinite bans, if a player only wants to play Arabia or Arena, let them, ok, they will have to wait for more time, they had to wait for more time anyway. This way those of us who don’t care if it’s 4 lakes / mr / nomad / arabia won’t have to lose time aswell waiting for arabia/arena to show up, because it’s the only map the alt+f4’ers want.

26 Likes

It is already discussed here multiple times.

Just a recent example. You might wanna try the search engine first, before starting a new thread about the same subject. I think threads like will pop up weekly.

I prefer a different solution, that is time penalties for quitters. That makes much more sense. If you just want to play one map only, then you go to the lobby and host your own games with your preferred settings. It make no sense to annoy people by quitting, because the quitter dont like the rules of ranked.

5 Likes

Won’t work. Nothing to stop players from insta-resigning games, or even simply just going AFK in them. So it will just create a lot more problems if this is implemented.

I prefer a different solution: let’s make the ranked queue Arabia-only, and it’s people who want to play weird maps that go into the lobby. It makes no sense to have maps like BF or Team Islands in ranked.

If you don’t like this solution, well guess what, that’s exactly what you proposed, except this time you’re on the wrong side of the board

Can you detail why the Arabia players should not be allowed to play ranked, when it’s by far the most competitive map in the game AND the most popular ?

6 Likes