The curious case of AoE 4 graphics (lots of screenshots)

Yes, that’s another song… same in AoE 3 OF the boats not only reflect the shadows but the whole boat…

1 Like

They did so for legibility reasons (cof cof competitive scene cof cof)…

2 Likes

Yes, also that there is a lack of fauna…I mean you have whole meadows and there are barely a handful of deer and 3 wolves on the whole map…it’s a f… joke?..

8 Likes

Because this game tried to reach the competitive scene firstly. Waiting to see if developers have listened all the critocs about the other non-competitive elements.

5 Likes

Yes, and you can tell that Ensemble knew what it was doing…Relic is used to making small buildings for the sake of doing CoH…

2 Likes

Yes, AoE 4 is a wasted potential…graphics, campaigns and even historical period…

8 Likes

Yes, they already had that in mind since 2017…

AoE4 was designed for pro play and esports. That is the main problem - The rest of the franchise was designed with casual players in mind and pro players had to take what they could and adapt to it. Now both games are strikingly unique in their visuals and AoE3 is especially gorgeous, and there’s no readability problems in either.

AoE4 went straight to please the pro players and I think they forgot that the pro players are a tiny percentage of their playerbase - Happy pro players means nothing if there’s no playerbase to watch those pros play.

18 Likes

Yes, I mean, it wasn’t even that hard to do it that way…

Imagine that I played the closed beta, if it were not for the Mongols, I would have uninstalled the game and never installed it again…

1 Like

Yes, i think It has been a big mistake. A competitive scene Is also important but AOE have been always for casual players: this Is the reason why every AOE game reached a new graphic standard: i’m not refering tothe artstyle but quality of textures, realism of weapons, physics, biomas, effects, diversity the maps with unique fauna, mercenaries and locale tribes. All of these elements mixed with history and beautiful battles which you can see more close with zoom. This Is what made AOE the king of RTS, not competitive scene.

Developers have time to change It. We Hope they Will do It.

17 Likes

Yes, something happened in the middle that decided to increase the size units and shrink the buildings…

1 Like

Easy, because Relic didn’t play it and only played and think about copying AoE 2…

Yes, exactly, I would not have said it better…

AoE4 used to be scaled well and had some nice detailed features on units.

But this is a case of what happens when a influental minority gets their opinion hammered through.

There were frequents complaints from a group of people who thought the game was to hard to read.
Due to the size of units being so small, and hard to see the weapons.

Why would they want the weapons to be visible? Because it makes it easier to animation cancel among other things.

Also performance wise they wanted to cater to as wide audience as possible with all sorts of computers down to your cheaped out school computer while still trying to maintain some competative level of play? if that were to phrase it right.

At a personal level, I don’t mind the graphics, the artstyle has grown on me.
Although I agree that something shud be done with the propotions. I wouldn’t mind smaller units.

5 Likes

They are not going to change anything, they are afraid of the pros…lets see what happens when pros left the game because there are not “enough viewers” (some already left ) then they will look for the normal players like sc2 did

4 Likes

No. They sacrifice graphics because the last moments of the development many things as sizes and proportions were changed in a hurry.

For example i showed here how production buildings was designed to be.

Original proportions for stables and barracks being as Big as a urban center*

5 Likes

Anti-aliasing is the destroyer of game graphics.
Most people use it at low or off as it simply rips off textures and makes it blurry.
However, some people like it as it makes textures soft and they don’t care about textures.

I swear the issue is the dead space inside the footprint of the buildings. They did not create the 3D models with the correct AoE scale, zoom, and camera angle in mind.

5 Likes

More like Anno 1404/ Anno 1800 :slight_smile:
But I get where you’re coming from.