The graphics are too much in AOE 3 DE

AOE3 has FAR more standardized unit postures for the same unit types.
Basically it is almost the Rise of Nations’ regional skin level. All musketeer units unique or not are limited to two or three postures (and they are very similar). And unit upgrades never change their poses.

For the examples you listed here, even the hoplite and the phalanx have different poses and they are by all means the same unit. And I wouldn’t think anyone would look at the bazooka, the fusilier and the pikeman separately and immediately conclude they are the same unit. Also the AT rifle sits on the ground while others kneel even though you call it “the same pose as everyone else”, while the “despite the melee ones” you are leaving out make up half of the list. You cannot leave out 50% and say “look they are clearly the same posture”.
For the “obviously ranged” light infantry you are intentionally leaving out the other ranged line (archer) and I don’t want to guess why. Not to mention every light infantry upgrade has a different pose. You cannot force them to become easily recognizable however you try to word it.

I would like to put the light horse, the carabineer, the knight, the cuirassier and the helicopter in one image and assert “look they are clearly the same unit type”. Of course they are not. But the image would not look much different from the true ones you listed here.

And the brazenly obvious double standard you are using.
Something AOE3 does - confusing. Cannot remember. Gimmicky.
Something other games do even more - I don’t need to remember.
No you do.
Rise of Nation has SIX entirely different regional skins for the exact same unit with exact same stats, literally. And two or three unique variants that also serve the same role, literally. According to yourself:

It should be a very bad design.
I don’t know how you can keep a straight face when saying “look they are clearly recognizable as the same unit” pointing at images like these.
Yes you don’t need to remember a sling, a javelin, an arquebus, a musket, a rifle, an automatic rifle, all held in different poses, serve the same role (while a bow and a crossbow do not).
And they are actually NOT the same unit type. The counter between light infantry and heavy infantry suddenly inverted after gunpowder.
But you have to remember the PISTOLERO! otherwise you’ll be wrecked in pvp.

Like before if you just said you think this or that aspect of the game needs improvement I would agree with you.
But the specific points you are complaining and the “positive” examples you use make me question the direction you want the improvement to be, so I disagree.

BTW have you noticed the post is about graphical settings?

2 Likes

I wonder how you can keep using examples in the exact opposite way as they should like you’re being sarcastic.
AOE2 has simpler civ designs. Yes. It is easier to generalize between civs. Yes. I wouldn’t call it better or worse but it is the fact.
You: AOE2 has simpler and easier-to-remember unit counters.
???

Rise of Nations has even simpler civ designs. Yes. It has fewer unit types. Yes. I wouldn’t call it better or worse but it is the fact.
You: Rise of Nations has more straightforward unit poses.
???
Out of all things you choose this one to praise?

That’s what I’m particularly pissed about. You are twisting the nature of “every other game” into your reasoning, games you are not familiar with, games you never looked deeper into, games you know little about the details, to the degree that makes me womder if I have been playing a totally different game, and only nitpick on AOE3. Unfortunately I happen to have played Rise of Nations longer than AOE3 and I can’t say I know the game better than AOE3 but at least better than you do.

This is clearly a light infantry because it does not have the pikeman pose but the same pose as an arquebusier right?
This is clearly a light infantry because it does not have the fusilier pose but the same pose as a musketeer right?
They clearly have nothing to do with these guys right?

You can’t “but I don’t need to remember” this time. This is the only heavy infantry Spain has and is one of their major strengths.

4 Likes

Please. No. I hate saturated colors and enormous weapon to human ratio. That just looks ugly to me.

AoE4 has like 6 units (being sarcastic here, but its all archer spear horseman and knight) in the whole game and a few unique units which nobody trains. So maybe this way works here.

AoE3 has way more. But you can still look at units and tell what they are. However, a good tutorial for this is needed. And I hope they make one for this.

2 Likes

…and AOE4 man at arms/spearman/knight also have different weapons and completely different visuals across civs…Hell I cannot remember!

Joking. We know our friend here won’t criticize that.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the same engine (Bang Engine), in fact when AoE 3 came out they called it the “colonial version” of AoM, the only thing that AoM, unlike AoE 3, doesn’t have the Havoc physics of the latter, although maybe with Retold they have it…

AoM Extended Edition

AoE 3 Definitive Edition

???
To be honest I don’t understand what you are against.
It feels like you are opposing for the sake of opposing.
I just ask for a better units identification. And I just take this game for a example.
Don’t you think it’s easier to tell the difference between a squatting person and a standing person?

It is like if a game has some nice feature, why not add these feature to another game?
Maybe AoE3 can make it better?
I really don’t understand why a reply like this make you so pissed off.
:thinking:

By the way I have played over 3000+ RoN multiplayer games when GameSpy still alive. I doubt if you really know more about this game than I do…

From you who is throwing all these under a discussion of graphical settings?

Your example ruins your point.
If you say AOE3 can have better UI, more standardized animations (though already) - okay.
But you are pointing at the light infantry line of Rise of Nations and say “look it’s clearly the same unit type, and I don’t need to remember they have different weapons”, while AOE3 already has far more standardized pose than this (which unit of AOE3 changes animation with every upgrade?)
It makes me really wonder what part of the “better feature” you want to add to the game. Does not look like it’ll end up being the same thing I understand.

And you “don’t need to remember all the armor type based counters” or “don’t need to remember the weapons of the light infantry”.

Then the development team probably transferred most of the manpower of AoE3 to the AoM department I guess?
I think AoM will probably be more fun for me than AoE3. If I remember correctly. It doesn’t have too many units. The identification degree of mythical creatures and cold weapon units is much higher than hot weapon units in AoE3. I think this game is probably more suitable for people with visual impairment like me.
:smiley:

Same weapon. Same pose. Clearly the same unit role.

WHAT?

You can identify 30+ different mythical creatures all with totally different animations and special ability.

But you cannot identify a guy with a pistol and a guy with a musket.
And shock infantry and pikemen you whine most about are clearly “hot weapons”.

I plead you. Go to “every other game”. Don’t ####### ###rself in this blasphemous orphan game that noble pvp players despise anymore. It is not made for pvp nobles. That will give everyone a better time.

2 Likes

I don’t think I need your permission to make suggestions in a game forum.
:smiley:
說真的我覺得你就是一個死纏爛打,一直玩文字遊戲的神經病,我實在不需要浪費時間理你…

那你不要回,讓這串沉下去就好了嘛。一直離題的說別人離題,你不覺得你很可笑嗎?
遊戲要怎麼做,是開發人員決定的,你一直纏著我幹嘛?
我又不是製作團隊,怎麼感覺我每po 一個留言,
你就要主動湊上來找麻煩啊?你是有問題嗎?
:smile:

Disagreement means you need my permission. Funny.

从始至终我反驳你任何东西,你要么换个地方复读,要么满地打滚,如果您对您的高论这么自信的话,建议您拿出具体理由,而不是“反正我就是不需要记住这些”。

那您单独开个串咯?
您看到有人抱怨,都不看别人抱怨的是啥就开始找队友,要么把您的高论单独开个串让全世界品鉴而不是整天拿别人当肉盾?

多大脸这是。
您自己看看您有多少流言我回复了的?
有没有可能是因为我觉得您某几条留言说的不对?

我所有的言論幾乎都是你在回好嗎?
然後我覺得我解釋得很明白了,你還一直挑語病。
AOM每個怪獸長相差異那麼大,你跟AOE3一堆小人擺在一起一起比?
到底是我要看眼科還是你要看眼科?

然後我就不懂啦
讓單位更好辯識是有什麼錯?
怎麼感覺你就是為了反對而反對而已?

我們打住好不好?
你覺得AoE3現在這樣很好,
而我覺得AoE3單為外觀可以更有一致性、更清楚一點。
那就這樣。

說真的我每個留言都已經想打住了,
從來沒有你說的什麼我要找隊友的想法,
單純就只是想給一點建議能讓官方看見而已。
要不要實作也是官方決定。
我也說我可以改玩AOM,
怎麼你竟然還死纏爛打說什麼AOM怎樣?
奇怪了?我都說要玩別的遊戲了你還一直靠北是?
到此為止吧。

你看看你其他发言我是不是都回了的。
难道不是因为你关于所谓“辨识度”的所有言论都和我理解的完全相反我才一直回这个话题的吗?

哪个现实RTS不是一堆小人?
我记得你抱怨的点是“同一功能的兵种太多”,要么是“克制关系太复杂”,问题是AOE3同一功能的兵种就那么几种动作,为什么AOM的神话单位各方面基本全都不一样的反而更好记住了?

让单位辨识度更好没有任何问题,要是我说了半句反对让单位辨识度更好的发言,我自愿滚出这个论坛一个月好不好?
但是你举的例子有几个是真正提高了辨识度的?或者和AOE3有本质区别的?
你举的例子让我感觉你想把AOE3的同类单位全弄成一种动画,或者把相似动画的单位全弄成同类,这个我反对。

问题是AOE3已经为了提高单位辨识度简化很多了,AOE2里每个单位升级后都有一套完全不同的动画,属性和加成都有一套自己的升级路径,AOE3已经全部弄成一样的了。
你要么在这里简化,要么在那里简化,但你不能都简化。AOE3搞出以上这些简化的设计、以及采用标签计算克制,等等等等,就是为了能够容纳更多类型的单位、以及同类单位的不同变种,这是AOE3的特色。如果再把这些也都简化了的话,那结果就是一个有不同皮肤的简化AOE2或者RON,那我还不如去玩AOE2和RON。

突击步兵近战步兵这个问题都是老生常谈了,我自己也提议过把这些统一(但西班牙这种十几年的老文明要改估计pvp玩家意见更大),我甚至建议过把佣兵和土著统一,但除此之外AOE3的辨识度问题(不管是克制上的特例还是外观上的特例)都不比其他历史RTS更多。即使是突击步兵一共也就那么几种,各个兵种的特例一只手也数得出来。

或者更具体一点?你觉得pistolero这样的单位要改成什么样子才能一眼就认出“这也是火枪手”?给个刺刀吗?

whats wrong, imo nothing, but given after all this time you can’t tell apart units as evidently different as dragoon and cuirassier there’s no pleasing you regardless of what change is made
feel free to respond in whatever language you see fit, just makes you look incapable of standing ground in an arguement

edit: using aoe4 as example of it being done well is also a straight up joke, i mean that game has way fewer units to work with, and yet everything looks the same and some of it being actively misleading

给個刺刀也可以
又也許加個小icon?

我是真的覺得很難分,每次看到一個新的拿槍的單位我還要想一下,
他到底是重步輕步還是突擊步兵。
我玩英雄連再怎麼樣也不可能把虎式和豹式搞混,
玩星海不可能把陸戰隊和火蝙蝠搞混,玩AoE2不可能把槍兵和劍兵搞混,為什麼?
因為載具和武器的的剪影輪廓很明顯就可以讓我知道他們是不同單位。
就只有玩AoE3會讓我猶豫一下 :expressionless:…如果你不覺得有差
那我也沒話可說了…好吧可能這遊戲真的就不適合我。
只是我覺得不會只有我覺得這樣而已就是了。

以英雄連步兵舉例,製作團隊的作法就是直接打上icon
不過我覺得不是所有人都會喜歡一堆icon在畫面上
然後有的人又不喜歡武器為了辨識度變得很大隻,
那我就不知道有沒有更好的方法了,
也許你有更好的想法?
其實只要能讓我一眼知道某單位是什麼類型要拿什麼去剋,
而不是在緊要關頭我還要需要花個一秒看一下面板了解這是什麼東東的話,
其他我都沒意見。
只要可以在畫質和辨識度取得平衡就好。

然後你說 “你也提議過把這些統一”
那我們看法應該是一致才對吧!!!沒必要一直抓我的語病打吧?
我從頭到尾就一直說我不太喜歡製作單位為了創出一個新單位,
又把目前的分類系統又分出更多單位標籤,。
AoE2的單位數量少倒還好,AoE3都已經有這麼多單位要去記憶了。
不覺得又繼續增加新標籤是雪上加霜嗎?
我是認為在增加新標籤把生剋關係弄得更複雜之前,
先把單位辨識度的問題解決好會更好,就這樣!! :slightly_smiling_face:

不是语病,而是我感觉你想要的“辨识度”和我想的完全是相反的,或者你认为“问题”的所在和我不一样。
首先我认为你提的很多具体要点就不是问题。比如pistolero这种,兵种设计就是手枪,那你觉得应该把他设计成什么呢?轻步兵(那跟设计成重步没有区别)?还是另开一个兵种(那你肯定要说更复杂了)?还是给一把带刺刀的火枪(那还是pistolero吗)?
而且这种设计在其他同类RTS里已经再常见不过了,尤其是历史类,AOE3反而属于里面简化得比较多的。有些单位和装备就是真实存在过的,游戏里不得不把很多东西强行塞进几个“类别”里,事实上历史上同是skirmisher也千差万别,arquebusier完全是另一种战法,AOE3把这些东西和弓弩一起全部打包塞进同一个兵种,这已经简化得过分了,另外我也一直觉得AOE3把剑士类取消塞进反骑兵单位(所以我建议要么把剑士类单开一个兵种,要么融进突击步兵里)、或者把原本的“重骑兵”取消而和hussar变成一个类别这样的设计为游戏性妥协了太多,但历史题材你又不能没有这些兵种。

而且制作组已经在规避过于复杂的设计了,大部分特例兵种要么是土著要么是佣兵,一共也不会出场多少次。比如TWC版就有的fusiliers。TWC之后也没有实质上增加过任何新的兵种类别。我还希望AOE3能像AOE2那样有更多独特功能的单位呢。

突击步兵确实是个“问题”,但最多也就是AOE2鹰武士的水平,鹰武士的克制关系还和骑兵完全不一样,突击步兵类和骑兵基本一致,而且一共也就那几种。所以这也是很常规的做法。因为历史上美洲文明就是没有骑兵,也只能这么设计。这已经是最简化的结果了。这类情况也就那么几个文明,记忆量也没多大。
我倒确实觉得ethiopians没太大必要也给个突击步兵。

比如说AOM里的神话生物,狮子是类似近战步兵的定位,怎么看也是狮子的manticore却是射手,和看起来完全不是一种生物的medusa是同类。我可没见过AOM玩家觉得这是个辨识度问题。

我觉得提高辨识度最好的方式就是把标签加进UI或者单位头像(不是英雄连那样的漂浮icon,那个只适用于小队制)。
然后微调某几个单位,我觉得大概就四五个:
把rodelero改成突击步兵(pvp玩家肯定会反对)
把strelet改成轻步兵的动作(这的确是一个错误,因为strelet原本设计为重步)。
我可以单独开个串讨论这些问题:

但其实也没有太大必要,虽然确实有提升空间,但也不是“比其他同类RTS更差”的程度。你要和SC比那我没什么好说的了,这种完全架空的题材可以随便设计单位。AOM都还得参考下现实神话呢。

BTW你认为一个不了解二战的人能很快区分三号四号虎式豹式吗?说不定ta会觉得“都是tank,为什么数值和功能差那么多”。AOE好歹还能按帽子、配色和盾牌区分一下。
有没有可能是因为你不够了解AOE3时代的武器和服装等历史背景?

1 Like

The op has no problem with the units in aoe3. His problem is the foliage in DE.

That’s right…the team that developed 3 DE (led by Tilanus) is now in charge of developing AoM Retold; that’s why I don’t expect patches for the first one that often… And about the units, especially the unique units, there are many, counting, naval, human, heroic and mythical units are between 200 and 250 (between 30 and 50 per mythology), but since there are few mythologies (there are only 5: Greeks, Egyptians , Nordic, Atlantean and Chinese), are easier to learn… But don’t be afraid, AoM is a masterpiece… it’s the only game in the series where everyone agrees that it’s a great game with no differences between those who play AoE 2 and 3 (since it’s obviously in the middle of both games)… And regarding visual problems, I have myopia in my right eye and astigmatism in my left eye and I have no problem differentiating the units…

Yes, the topic of recognizing units is a long topic of debate in AoE 3, don’t worry…

Yes, it could also be because there aren’t many games in the colonial era of AoE 3.

It could be that too…

The op literally said that, it isn’t any interpretation or anything like that.

I thought that was already in the past, but as I can see this thread has once again devolved into the topic of how to alter aoe3 mechanics and features to make it be like other games for some weird reason, which by the way has literally nothing to do with the topic of the thread, since the op was just talking about terrain and foliage in DE, not ranting about aoe3.

well, Kuoting can’t help it but make any thread about his personal problem with the game (not saying all areas of aoe3 readibility are perfect, but this guy doesn’t know what the hell he even wants, nothing will cut it for him)

2 Likes