This game won't be a hit

No. This model has the head to Big. And dont have a human proportions.

Like units in any other game from Blizzard.
Blizzard’s RTS have always been cartoonish and not serious, they chose this design to maintain the visual style of their games, thanks to which their games look good to this day.

6 Likes

“Blizzard […] cartoonish and not serious”

And you use WC3 as example. Well, SC1 had better visuals (better shadows, light, fire effects and other sfx, animations, etc) than AOE2 for that matter.
And so far it seems SC2 has better visuals than AOE4.

What I’m saying is that AOE-3 dared to go further from the standard of that time. Now standard PCs can run well-designed games without inconvenience.

I meant it has details without sacrificing performance and competitiveness.

Same. While playing the beta, the graphics became less important and moved into the background, although I wouldn’t say that the game is ugly.

1 Like

Yeah well, WC3 was released years later, so no surprise that the visuals look better. Especially in the timeframe when these things were really moving fast.

As for WC3 looking cartoony, I have to agree with @MrPREKrasny, but I dont think anyone was bothered by it, or saw it as a problem, because the game itself was a lot of fun, and the MP was a lot of fun, and also the Editor was great so there was a ton of fun custom scenarios as well.

2 Likes

Where did I claim those were the lowest settings? The only person lying here is you unless you truly still don’t understand my argument -

I am saying that AoE4 looks bad on the highest settings. People here excuse that by saying it needs to run on low end machines. I argue that this excuse fails because PC games have multiple visual settings, you can have low settings for minimum system requirements and ultra settings for recommended system requirement. I gave Doom as an example for variable visuals and Spellforce 3 as an example for a great looking game that has low minimum requirements.

Not only does your image not disprove my argument, is strengthens my argument. Variable visual quality in PC games is my argument.

I am assuming you won’t be responding since you have no argument to respond with.

1 Like

I think this is already too deviant, using references to support my points. Is it too much to ask for siege operators and non-magical transport? Some birds hovering over the landscape (Apart from those that appear on the fish)? Units a little more refined? Better scale of buildings? Better looking water? If they say that I am very demanding, well I take it as a compliment. $ 60 and being called AAA do not justify the mediocrity.

Ignoring the fact that ‘bad’ is just your subjective opinion, the game is not even out yet - what makes you think you’ve seen anything on the “highest settings” it will have at launch?

3 Likes

Fair enough. AOE2 is from 1999, and WC3 from 2002.
I edited my post.

I’m assuming PR videos and images are captured on the highest settings, everything I’ve seen so far, which has been meticulously produced by the PR department, has been extremely lackluster.

Are you reading what I write? Blizzard games have always adhered to the cartoon and cartoon style, WarCraft, StarCraft, WoW, Overwatch. But it was a distinctive feature of Blizzard games, it’s not bad, it made it possible to preserve the visual component of the games longer than if they were trying to portray a realistic picture, thanks to the cartoonishness, these games look good to this day.

2 Likes

And are you reading what everybody else is writing? How do you think all this mess about “cartoony” started?
The models not being proportional, cartoony and lacking operators for cannons aren’t the main problem; just to name some common complains. If only the colors, the animations, the sfx were better and more realistic, people wouldn’t be complaining so much.

It all started with the fact that some people began to deny the cartoonishness of Blizzard games.

AoE 4 is far from complete, we had a closed beta test, there is another beta test ahead, developers are collecting feedback, submitting polls, and so on. Things like animation, lighting, or post effects can be done a little better. But such fundamental things as the design of the game, around which many elements of the visual component are built, cannot be changed at such a late stage.

This is where the problem lies. If the final version is not supposed to include our requests, the game will simply not be worth what it weighs to me.

OK, that’s fair to assume they are trying to show the best images they could at the time but within the limitations that it’s still a beta build and the fact that they will look different on different machines and devices. We should also distinguish art style/design (not going to change) vs. graphic settings (textures, lighting, etc.) that will change and can be improved. A lot of people like the style but would also love to see improvements. And, again, if that’s the biggest issue for people, probably not really the target RTS audience to start with. There have been so many RTS flops in the past 5 years and tons of players waiting for a good one - most dgaf about whether a siege engine has ‘golden ghosts’ or actual units manning it - completely minor detail (just as one example). Just give me a good RTS with fun gameplay that has depth to it.

1 Like

Yeah, but remember that people weren’t complaining so much when the first trailer was released in 2019. In fact many people liked the game as it was presented then. Darker tone and better contrast.

Now everybody complains “cartoony, cartoony” because of the saturation, the animations, the shadows, the sfx in general (the attacking lancers for example), the color pool, etc. Who knows, maybe after the game releases, people will be complaining about the metallic color of the weapons or the contrast of the buildings.

2 Likes

2 months? And for promo videos they could took out there “secret” builds.
Or they doing secret GL strat “pretend loosing and actually losing”,(pretend have build, and have none).

Overall models are okay(imho), but u cannot defend them with “they prep secret builds”.

1 Like

…this is a game…not a reinactment ffs…

Only those who can actually be completed in the current period, I do not think that the game is going to be transferred anywhere. Microsoft needs full game pass.
I am sure that there will not be such changes as gun operators or the removal of “golden silhouettes”, as this will require a complete redesign of the entire game, these things are used in promo and trailers, it is too late for such changes. We can see the changes in the form of improved lighting, post effects, maybe detail.

1 Like