Tools to edit / open / extract .SLD files

Hi Devs, is there a way to extract/opem/edit the new format .SLD files in AOE2DE? Also what are the measures to remedy the non-working of the colour mods? These are important matters which we would appreciate good quality tools for modding. Thanks!

2 Likes

There are no dev tools to open smx files also.SLX editor is a fan made tool and will in future support sld files as well.

1 Like

When is “in future”?

@Yorok0 already made a software of his own and converted all of his existing smx to sld graphic format by using the openage github. perhaps he can share with us how he did it.

his mod is the never decay corpse mod.

1 Like

The masterpiece is nearly finished, we still have to wait

4 Likes

Well, I already answered, that I just duplicated and removed frames from existing SLD files, which is much easier to do than encode/decode images to/from SLD.

I am also waiting for Tevious to update SLX Studio, because I want to change some graphics without being hindered by SMX palette restrictions but I have no idea how long is it gonna take him because he has his work and other modding project on higher priorities.

Btw, Spriteblood managed to import unit, tree, etc graphics from SLD files to his Overreign mod, so if you are interested, you can ask him how he did it in his Discord server

1 Like

OK Dude, let me walk through cause I had to figure this out last night:

Join the SLX Editor discord. THey have a way to get Steam to give you the old files in content packs. They are BIG, but you’ll get the old files in the X1 and X2 sizes among them.

Then create a local mod folder and dump/copy whatever old files in it you want

Modify THEM, and activate the local mod, which will be the name and seemingly first version name of the folder.

I don’t know what a color mod is but you’ll be able to access the old versions and modify them as you wish.

The color mod is the Spring player colours mod introduced by Microsoft as a reward for the Spring event for AOE2DE which made the player colours look better. This is a key mod which opened up player colour mod possibilities for everyone!

https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/14794/

1 Like

Oh OK
nifty. Did my solution work? Also
I’ve noticed UHD DLC can stop visual mods from working because they are using a different version than standard so you might want to toggle that on or off and see if that helps.

I hope the Devs help the community here and support creators with more tools. Incrediblely grateful for Tevious and Tapsa who created/supported SLX studio and Advanced Genie Editor. Ideally we shouldn’t have to be completely reliant on the community for tools.

Hopefully they look into this and consider investing in some user friendly tools for the community.

8 Likes

This seems like an important issue, you can’t convert edited SLX files into SLD to make a graphic mod

You can convert SLD into SLX using this program

https://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=13852

1 Like

This is a good tool, but is there some issue with the website recently? It just says processing and no zip file is created. Any advice?

Devs, any tools to open .SLD files?

There is technically an example file format in: Tool_Builds\Sprites\units\unit_template\unit_template_0000.psd. (I think
 I may have got this elsewhere but, im pretty sure the game included it SOMEWHERE
)

You then have to run ‘DESpriteTool.exe’ via command line and it should generate the sld file. (Not as easy of course but, possible. Even GNU Image Manipulation Program could do it if you name/export it correctly.)

But yeah, I would prefer an easier way too.

edit: You can read more info in the ‘readme.txt’ in the Sprites directory in Tools.

edit: here is the format:

Each PSD requires the following layers:

• Damage (for nature/buildings, clipping mask of Diffuse) OR Blood (for units, clipping mask of Diffuse)
  • AmbientOcclusion (clipping mask of Diffuse)
  • Diffuse (main layer, masked with white-on-black bitmap)
  • Decal
  • Background
  • Height
  • Normals

important note: however the contents of any folder starting with an underscore will be ignored.