[v.0.5] Resource Manager - Viewing, comparing, creating and extracting files from Age of Empires III .BAR archive

Awesome tool!!

I’m new in this thing of extracting data from the game and I need some help from you guys. I want to know which is the file with the relations of Card → Image, i can’t find any relation with the cards in the homecity files and his image card.

1 Like

This is Data.bar, techtreey.xml

In the next version I will add feature to extract from BAR file list of paths.
For example, you want to extract large list of images, but it is really annoying to select them all in app. So, you create txt file in Notepad and put list of paths of files you want to extract:

resources\images\icons\techs\infinite_native_villager.png
resources\art\units\hc_native_villager_icon.png
resources\images\icons\techs\infinite_food.png
resources\images\icons\techs\hc_food_crate\hc_food_crate_128.png
resources\images\icons\techs\hc_team_2_surgeons\hc_team_2_surgeons.png
resources\images\icons\techs\team_food.png
resources\images\icons\techs\infinite_wood.png

2 Likes

Version 0.4.5

• Improved auto-updater. Now it shows more details.
  • Added feature to extract entries from list of paths (.txt file).
  • Added ability to copy entry path to clipboard.
  • Extraction Dialog remembers its own settings.

Download: GitHub - KevinW1998/Resource-Manager: Utility for viewing, creating and extracting files from Age of Empires III .BAR archive

4 Likes

Version 0.4.6

• The hash of the contents of the bar file is calculated when opened. This may increase the opening time.
  • Added XML<->XMB<->JSON conversion.
  • Removed the option to extract PNG as BMP, which was used to extract portrait icons without a transparent part. It has been replaced with a more convenient option that does not change the file format and allows you to choose the overlay color.

Download: GitHub - KevinW1998/Resource-Manager: Utility for viewing, creating and extracting files from Age of Empires III .BAR archive

5 Likes

Version 0.4.7

• Added TGA → DDT conversion.
  • Added the option to extract PNG images in WEBP format.
  • Added the option to compress PNG images when extracting.
  • Fixed a bug with color overlay on portrait images.
  • Fixed a bug with storing extraction settings.

P.S. In the current update, the ddt file conversion algorithm has been completely redesigned. If you find a bug, please report it in my Discord: Commando Squad

8 Likes

Give feedback

4 Likes

Version 0.4.8

• Added BAR structure caching and versioning combined with fast hash algorithm.
  • Added a link to the Google form for leaving feedback.
  • Accelerated opening of BAR files and checking for updates by using a faster hash algorithm.
  • Fixed freezes when extracting files from the list.
  • Fixed incorrect behavior when comparing BAR files.

What does Caching and Versioning features mean:

• Tracking modified, added and deleted files in the BAR file compared to previous versions of BAR file.
  • Faster opening of BAR files than now (app used slow CRC32 algorithm and didn’t cache BAR structure).
    NOTES:
  • It stores only the structure of the BAR file and the hash of entries, not the BAR file itself.
  • It does not show the changes themselves (was → became), but only identifies the fact that they were.
  • There is no reliable way to keep track of the correct order of versions of BAR files. For example, if you first open the most updated file and then its old version, the application will think that the first file is old and the second is updated.

Download: GitHub - AOE3-Modding-Council/Resource-Manager: Utility for viewing, creating and extracting files from Age of Empires III .BAR archive
Join my Discord server to stay up to date with the latest updates and news about my current developments and projects: Commando Squad

2 Likes

Version 0.4.9

• Fixed a bug with the conversion of TGA to DDT.
  • Fixed a bug with previewing TGA files.
  • Fixed a bug reading some DDT files.

Versions below .NET 6.0.5 had a bug with displaying tooltips. Be sure that you are using an updated version of .NET (you need Desktop Runtime version) if you find this bug.

Download: GitHub - AOE3-Modding-Council/Resource-Manager: Utility for viewing, creating and extracting files from Age of Empires III .BAR archive
Join my Discord server to stay up to date with the latest updates and news about my current developments and projects: Commando Squad

3 Likes

Version 0.5.0

• Fixed a bug with the conversion of some PNG to WEBP.
  • Fixed a bug with previewing some PNG files.

5 Likes

Hey first I like to say thank you for this tool and for the work you put in to creating it.

Also, I was wondering if this tool also works with age of empires Online as those are written in .bar format too. But when I try to create a .bar file it only has the options for DE and legacy. I tried both versions and they made the .bar file same size as the original one but my game won’t read either version even though it’s written in. bar. Is there a program that can do that or is there a way with this one to making it happen??

Currently app doesn’t support AOE:O but it’s possible to add. Where I can download game to start?

I was able to see all the info and textures so i thought it would work but when i tried to create .bar it was the only thing that didn’t work for me.

steam://install/105430

You need a steam account to DL it. That should give you the files you need.

I made some changes, can you please check it?

Ok I just checked it here is update

• I am on version 0.5.0 of resource manager

• Both did not work (Legacy or DE), as I put them into the folder the game says files been corrupted etc.

• Legacy seems to create .bar file size the exact same size of the original… DE makes .bar files a bit smaller in size than the original. I am assuming Legacy is more accurate with .bar files with AoE online. But Legacy or DE still aren’t working as of right now.

EDIT: As of right NOW it IS WORKING… The problem was I had a copy of the original file in the folder as a backup and it was saying the game was corrupted, I moved that back up file to a new location and it loaded right up… If i run into any issues, I’ll let you know but as of now it is working like a charm… Thanks so much Vlad

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m new to modding and could someone tell me how to access the “data/wpfg/resources” folder?

I looked at some existing graphics mods and it seems all UI images, such as unit icons and national flags, are stored in that folder. When I use the Resource Manager to open the Data.bar, I could not find the folder.

I looked at the Github page, one of the screenshots showing Resource Manager can indeed access the folder (see below) Could someone please tell me how to access the “data/wpfg/resources” folder? Thank you.

open those .bar files in Art and UI folders

1 Like

Thank you! The “data/wpfg/resources” folder is stored in UIResources1.bar to UIResources4.bar instead of Data.bar. Problem Solved.

Hi, I would like to export all EN and all FR texts from AOE3DE and then create sheets so I can quickly check if I found translation mistakes.
It looks like most data is stored in XML and can be exported as XML or JSON? But I’m not sure where I should look for the actual strings in EN and in FR. Can somebody give me a hint on which folders/files to check and then which XML TAGS to watch for? I’ll somehow figure out extraction later. Just hoping it’s somewhat isolated and not spread around all files.
I’m interested in all texts. UI/menus, story, subtitles, tutorials, anything ingame…
Much obliged!

Open the Data.bar and type : "English\ " that will amke you find all text files in english
Do the same as : "French\ " that will amke you find all text files in french

To open the XMl files, best of use is Notepad++’

Greetings Maxy

2 Likes