What would you like to see in Myth Retold?

I really hope it isn’t an issue. I thought I remember trying to play AOM online and the opponent spammed a bunch of forts and I quit playing.

A Fortress is not as strong as an AoE2 castle and weaker then a Town Centre. Town Centres are a lot more important for map control in AoM.

I’m personally divided about the AOE3 build restrictions. I personally dislike restrictions and prefer other solutions.
For example increased damage against enemy buildings close to your own TCs or something like that.

In AOE3 buildings take a lot more damage while they are still being constructed, I’m not sure if that’s also the case for AoM or will be for AoMR.

I hope they rebalance the New Atlantis campaign. Some of the scenarios there cannot be completed on Titan difficulty without cheating.

I assume they will completely remake the campaign anyway because of the differences between the AoE3DE engine and AoM considering they want to utilise those new features.
I’m mainly thinking about the new cliffs in AoE3 that work completely different and look way way better then AoM cliffs. It would be a shame if they don’t use them so I assume they will.
But every single mission in the AoM campaigns has cliffs in it so they all need to be remade from scratch.
I don’t think there is a way to convert them automatically.

AoMR will be a much bigger jump from AoM visually then AoE3DE was from AoE3 because AoE3 was a lot better looking then AoM.

3 Likes

yeah the aoe3 cliff system would be nice for aom retold

First, I’d like to see female pharaohs as a random alternative to male pharaohs.
It would also be nice, after picking the ‘New Kingdom’ tech, to see one pharaoh wearing the crown of Upper Egypt and the other that of Lower Egypt.

Secondly, I’d love to see the Mesopotamians added as a new civ. The three chief gods could represent the three greatest empires of the region: Enlil, chief god for the Sumerians; Marduk for the Babylonians and Ashur for the Assyrians.

Since the king was as important to the Mesopotamians as the pharaoh in Egypt, I’d like to see him as a starting hero with dynastic names as well, but with a different game mechanic. He could be paired with one of the three only Mesopotamian heroes I know of (Lugalbanda, Gilgamesh and Enmerkar), so that each starting god could have two heroes in the game: the king and a hero with a special ability (something like Perseus).

2 Likes

I would love Titans to be amphibious without the ‘TITANIC’ cheat code. They were said to be able to hurl mountains at the gods. It’ll be cooler if they had aura effects or special attacks like Prometheus throwing clay men around.

4 Likes

That’s a very cool idea, they need to do that.

I think the King should be more of a military leader then an economic boost.
So buffing units instead of buildings.

Those are all Kings though.

Maybe each major god has one specific King.
The King can’t really die like heroes in the campaign or Explorers in AoE3.

Yeah Titans need an overhole.
It would be cool of you could either choose between different ones of of every Major god had it’s own Titan.

1 Like

That would be cool indeed!

Well, my idea was to have the King die and be automatically reborn like the pharaoh (with names with progressively higher numbers: Sargon I, Sargon II, III, etc.)

My idea was to distinguish clearly between the ordinary King, with a buff mechanic akin to that of the pharaoh and the Heroes working more like Greek Heroes, having to be retrained to be reborn.
Otherwise the Mesopotamians would be left with only one hero per god, unless they made priests heroes as well. But that would be too similar to the Egyptians.

There are some other possibility to add secondary heroes.
Chinese have Monks and Immortals.

Would they even have enough options, especially for the Greek since the actual titans were already given to the Atlanteans?

Also I’d love if Cerberus was fully quadrupedal this time. lol

In my opinion the “Titans” should be very different and unique between the civilisations and not actually be Titans for most of them.
The Atlantian Titans should just be their major gods.
Gaia and Kronos already have a model anyway.

Every “Titan” should have at last one unique ability and they should all be able to go though the water but maybe not attack when they are in water.

Well, Atlanteans already grabbed all the really big creatures in Greek Mythology

Hekatonkheires could have been interesting as the Greek titan(s) but there’s already a myth unit based on them.

What if we replaced heka gigantes with geryon so we could have hekatonkheires as a titan?

Titans recommendations:

Greeks: Typhon

Egyptians: Apep

Norse: Ymir was cool but I think Fenrir would be more fitting. Afterall, Fenrir was the one who killed Odin.

Atlanteans: Cronus I guess but change his appearance. The original one seems a bit boring, imo.

Chinese: Sun Wukong (The Monkey King)

1 Like

Always like many of your ideas and this one is no exception.

Especially support Fenrir and Typhon! (Cerberus still should be a myth unit in my personal opinion!)

Sun Wukong is an interesting idea!

About Atlantean I am personally quite uncertain too

1 Like

What about this one for Egyptians?

1 Like

I think every major god should have it’s own:

Atlantians

Have Titans.
Titans can be healed by Town Centres when they are nearby.

Kronos: himself

Ability: Deconstruction attack that does a lot of damage against buildings but refunds the build costs

Gaia: herself

Ability: can plant Carnivora plants (or something similar)

Oranos: himself

Ability: functions as a mobile Sky Passage (exit only)

Greeks

Have different more smaller “Titans”.
Heal them by having Villagers pray at a nearby Temple.

Zeus: Arkantos

Ability: Self heal (but lower HP) and boosts nearby human units
(Not sure about this one but I like the idea to use things from the campaigns)

Posaidon: Living statue of Posidon

Ability: Earthquake attack that does damage in a wide area and knocks back human units.

Hades: Typhon or Cerberus

Ability: can attack multiple targets at once (either with the many snakes or heads).
(Replaces the Cerberus Titan in the campaign)

Egyptians

Not sure about their theme.
Monument heal nearby Titans.

Ra: Current Egyptian Titan

Ability: not sure

Isis: Guardian Statue

Ability: Freezes into a statue mode where it gains extra Armour and can be healed by the Pharaoh.

Seth: himself maybe?

Typhon and Seth where considered the same by later Greeks.

Norse

Their Titans are mostly giants.
Heal by nearby human units fighting.

Odin: Suttung (Important Frost Giant)

Ability: Freezes enemy units and buildings (they gain a lot of armour but can’t move/train units)

Thor: Surtr (Important Fire Giant)

Ability: Leaves a trail of flame behind him where ever he walks that damages enemy units and buildings.

Loki: Fenrir

Ability: Has bonus damage against other Titans and is faster then most Titans.

Chinese

They will likely get a major rework so I’ll I don’t know what would be the best way to design them.

4 Likes

Just saw this, and thank you for reaching out to the community and ask what they would like to see in an Age of Mythology Retold game.

Personally, and I feel I am in the minority here, but one of the biggest reasons why Age of Mythology appealed heavily to me, is because of how it focused more on the FANTASY and MAGICAL elements of Myths and Legends but in an RTS form. It was more fun just seeing fantastical elements wage war onscreen for a change, compared to the highly detailed and realistic take of Age of Empires.

Age of Empires = Serious/Realistic
Age of Mythology = Fun/Fantastic

That was the key take away I had in playing Age of Mythology and why I am fond of that title.

And since Retold will be more of a remake than a remaster, I suppose my suggestion would be to lean in more into what makes battles FUN and COOL than REALISTIC and SERIOUS.

As for specifics, it would be nice to have:

• Reusable God Powers that aren’t limited to one-time/three-time usage only.
  • Increase population cap and remove town center limitations. I’d like to have as much population as I had in Age of Empires 2 please.
  • Include more pantheons/mythological groups/races that weren’t in the original (ie. Sumerians, Japanese, Indian, etc.)
  • Love the Titans and it would be great to keep em in-game. That said, I was actually thinking, instead of summoning a Titan, why not summon the actual mythological god you chose instead? Like if you chose Zeus, then you summon a gigantic Zeus in the battle to help. Or if that is too much work to do, then assign a specific “Battle God” from said pantheon/mythological group/race to be their default “Titan”? For example, for the Egyptians, they can summon Anubis (god of death). For the Norse they can go for Fenrir? For the Greeks they can go with Ares (god of war). That should atleast keep it more feasible and easier to develop methinks.
  • Have the campaigns be like Age of Empires, where the campaign isn’t just specific to one character’s story. It would be a great opportunity to introduce brand new myths and legends to new players via campaign. Instead of following a specific actual story (ie. Arkantos) just have different protagonists per pantheon/myth group.
  • Keep the dynamic 3D menu screen please. Preferrably with beautifully rendered water/shores. :smiley:
  • I know this is a long shot, but is there any way to add controller support for the PC version of Age of Mythology Retold, similar to what was done with Age of Empires II for Xbox? Would be nice to enjoy that kind of gameplay on PC with Age of Mythology Retold. :smiley:

I suppose that’s it for now.

Arkantos is nice and all but he was made up for the game. I don’t think he should be a titan.

For Egypt they could also use Ammit.