Which factions do you think should be added to Africa?

@Mahazona they should just rename India and Slavs

1 Like

Honestly, I wouldn’t be against renaming the Celts, Franks, Britons, Teutons, Saracens, Turks, Spanish and possibly Goths.

2 Likes

Maybe Italians could be renamed too

I’m fine with the Italians, it fits the Kingdom of Italy, the parts of the peninsula controlled by the Holy Roman Empire (which Sicily, the Papal States and Venice were excluded from). I know many people want it to be renamed Lombards, but it only really works for the Early Middle Ages, which isn’t what the faction’s design reflects. And if it’s meant to only cover the duchy of Milan, we end up lacking factions to represent Tuscany, Emilia, Genoa and Savoy.

1 Like

Rename one and people will ask for more, best thing is to leave it alone.

2 Likes

I would say that the Malians are one of the civs with the most ahistorically representation released in the game. The fact that the gbeto, an elite group of elephant hunters from XVII century Dahomey represents them as their unique unit is ridiculous, almost as bad as the Celts having Iron Age Woad Raiders be their UU in a Medieval game.

3 Likes

Yeah, the gbeto thing actually saddens me because it means we will probably never get the Fons as a playable faction.

1 Like

Don’t forget about Throwing Axemen for the French

If only they weren’t so against changing civs that are already in the game.

Ehm, the problem with Throwing Axemen is that they’re throwing two-handed axes instead of smaller Francisca axes (which the Franks did use in combat), other than that they’re fine. I don’t think it’s as bad (though still pretty bad) as the before mentioned “Medieval” Woad Raiders or the Bactrian camel riding, sword throwing Mamlukes or the Goths “Huskarls”, I think those three from the originals were the worst as far as inaccurate UU in the AoK goes.

4 Likes

Goths speak German and Aztecs also don’t speak their actual language (which isn’t even dead like Goth). The Wiki thinks Aztecs might be speaking some unknown Mayan language.

1 Like

Also, maybe civs could have a dark age UU separate from the castle age one? lol

That’d at least make them less anachronistic at first

1 Like

Ideally, I would see Africa divided into 3 or 4 areas, with each having 3 or so civs.
West Africa- Mali, Benin, Kanem-Bornu, Ghana or Songhai
East Africa- Ethiopia, Nubia, Somali
Southern Africa (Southeast)- Zimbabwe, Swahili
optional Central Africa- Kongo and any other contenders

3 Likes

Maybe we could have a Medieval Egyptian civ? If the Sarracens were de-umbrella-fied, I mean

2 Likes

I’m surprised Swahilis ended up being more popular than Somalis, given their similarities (Naval trading power of the indian ocean, muslims, relations with arabs and persians), and in all those points the somalis surpased the swahilis. Furthermore, we don’t have almost any information of the military aspects of the swahilis, nor any important conflict, unlike the somalis. As I see it, if we’re gonna have a representer of the east coast of Africa, Somalis are the better candidate. (And we can’t have both, it’s an overrepresentation with so little civs slots left).

Also, similar issues for Zimbabweans. We don’t know anything aside of the ruins of Great Zimbabwe and speculations about their trade relations with their neighbors. Any design would be fiction or overly based on the ruins of Great Zimbabwe.

I think if the Saracen umbrella is broken, the current Saracens would become the Egyptians, that’s why I didn’t list it as an option.

1 Like

Ah, I see.

(Character count)

The Woad Raider was added based on Braveheart I believe

Definitely.

They also had kilts, which didn’t exist yet in the time of either AoE2 or Braveheart (not to mention painting your body was a thing of the picts, which would be in AoE1’s time instead)

Please, anything but not Africa

Not even other underrepresented regions?