Which factions do you think should be added to Europe?

• Alan/Scythians (Kingdom of Alania)
  • Albanian (Principality of Arbanon, Kingdom of Albania, Albanian Principalities)
  • Andalusian/Moor (Emirate/Caliphate of Cordoba, Emirate of Grenada, Taifas)
  • Aragonese/Catalan (Kingdom of Aragon, County of Barcelona)
  • Austrian (Austria)
  • Avar (Pannonian Avar Khaganate; Caucasian Avar Khanate)
  • Basque/Navarrese (Kingdom of Navarre)
  • Bavarian (Duchy of Bavaria)
  • Breton (Kingdom/Duchy of Brittany)
  • Croatian (Duchy/Kingdom of Croatia)
  • Flemish/Frisian/Dutch (Frisian Kingdom, County of Flanders, County of Holland, Duchy of Brabant)
  • Hanseatic (Free City of Lübeck, Free City of Bremen, Free City of Hamburg, Hanseatic League)
  • Irish/Gael (Kingdom of Connacht, Kingdom of Leinster, Kingdom of Munster)
  • Khazar (Khazar Khaganate)
  • Lorrain (Kingdom of Lotharingia, Duchy of Lower Lorraine, Duchy of Upper Lorraine)
  • Occitan/Aquitanian (Duchy/Kingdom of Aquitaine, County of Provence, County of Toulouse)
  • Papal (Papal States)
  • Pecheneg (Pecheneg Khanate)
  • Pomeranian (Duchy of Pomerania/Pomerania-Stettin)
  • Rhenish (Electorate of the Palatinate, Archbishopric of Cologne, Archbishopric of Mainz, Archbishopric of Trier)
  • Savoyard (County/Duchy of Savoy)
  • Roman (Western Roman Empire, Kingdom of Soissons)
  • Saxon (Kingdom of Mercia, Kingdom of Northumbria, Kingdom of Wessex, Old Saxony, Duchy of Saxony, Electorate of Saxony)
  • Serbian (Serbia)
  • Swabian (Duchy of Swabia, County/Duchy of Württemberg, Margraviate of Baden)
  • Swede (Svithjod/Kingdom of Sweden)
  • Swiss (Swiss Confederacy)
  • Tuscanian (Republic of Florenc, Republic of Pisa, Republic of Siena)
  • Vandal (Vandal Kingdom)
  • Venetian (Republic of Venice, Republic of Ragusa)
  • Vlach/Romanian (Principality of Wallachia, Principalty of Moldavia)
  • Welsh (Kingdom of Deheubarth, Kingdom of Gwynedd, Kingdom of Powys)
  • Other(s)
  • I don’t know
  • I don’t care
  • None

0 voters

Second poll, how many factions do you think should be added to this region?

• 1-2
  • 3-4
  • 5-6
  • 7+
  • I don’t know
  • I don’t care
  • None

0 voters

Okay, now those polls have really gone all around the world. As usual, I may have forgotten/not known about stuff so don’t hesitate to point it out to me in the comments (and to vote for “other(s)” if necessary.

I guess I need to clarify something else here. Quite a few of those civilisations imply the split of an umbrella civ. In each case, there was one possible civ that I chose not to include because I thought if the umbrella had to be entirely broken apart, this one civ should be the one replacing it in name while keeping most of its mechanics. In some cases, the old campaign may go to a new civ, though. Here’s the list:

• For the Celts, Scot/Scottish (Kingdom of the Picts, Kingdom of Dál Riata, Kingdom of Alba/Scotland)
  • For the Italians, Genoese/Milanese (Republic of Genoa, Commune/Duchy of Milan/Ambrosian Republic)
  • For the Slavs, Rus’/Russians (Kievan Rus’/Principality of Kiev, Novgorod Republic, Grand Duchy of Moscow)
  • For the Spanish, Castilan (Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of León, Kingdom of Castile)
  • For the Teutons… Well still the Teutons, but more focused on the Teutonic Order if the whole faction is actually split apart
  • For the Vikings, Norses/Danes (Kingdom of Denmark, Kingdom of Norway)

It’s also worth noting that the inclusion of some factions would imply huge changes for others (the Burgundian would probably have to lose their Flemish Revolution UT if the Flemish were included, for instance) and the Saxons would probably steal most of the Goth tech tree and necessitate for the Goths to be basically the new civ, since they currently represent the Saxons way better than they do the Goths.

3 Likes

I really really dont want any Europe DLC until we get the rest of the world have proper representation.

Becaus in all honesty outside Serbs, Vlachs and Khazars and maaaaayyybe moors and Vandals everyone else seems to me like a bad idea

5 Likes

Oh, it doesn’t need to come before we get a big round of dlc from other parts of the world and I would actually be disappointed if it was the case.

Even though i would like Serbia to be added, I agree there should be DLC with Asian and African civs before that. I wouldn’t mind mixed DLC from each continent either.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t want any more European civs - at the very least, not until the Indian civ umbrella has been split up and some of the holes in Asia and Africa have been filled in.

I also don’t really see the point. The more recent European civs have been overly similar to existing ones, in my view, and I can’t see what another European civ could add, either thematically or in terms of gameplay. Plus the European architecture sets are all used by at least four civs, with a whopping six using the eastern European buildings.

But the current devs seem to love European civs, so I’m fully expecting the next expansion to be something like Sailors of Europe, introducing Venetians and Dutch, plus a Viking campaign.

3 Likes

I’d be fine with more eu after Africa Asia and other regions get more love, but not until then.

4 Likes

Once we get a good round of DLC for Africa, Asia, India, South & Central America, a few European civs, particularly Venetians, Vlachs, and something for Serbs and Croats would be nice to fill in a few gaps on the map. Also I want a distinct Andalusians sometime, Berbers do not properly represent them!

2 Likes

I believe that before adding new European civs, one should travel around the world (Africa, Middle East, India, Asia and maybe Mesoamerica & Andeas) and then finally complete Europe.

As for Europe, I would see such extensions:

• Balkan DLC - Croats, Romanians and Serbs
  • Germanic DLC - Bavarians (South German civ umbrella), Saxons (North German civ umbrella) and Swedes (also includes Finno-Ugric content to represent them in this game)
  • Mediterranean DLC - Catalans (also includes Basque content to represent them in this game), Moors and Venetians (also includes Albanian content to represent them in this game)

+Caucasian DLC - Armenians, Georgians and Khazars (The Caucasus is a region of Asia)

4 Likes

You literally have 9 civs in your non-caucasian set, which would fill up all 9 of our remaining civ slots.

But have you noticed that I wrote above that the rest of the world should be completed before Europe?

If the DLC sells well, the developers will surely increase this mythical civs slot limit.

2 Likes

Basques, in my opinion. They have had their own language since the Ancient age. Recently, you may have heard that they do not want to be part of Spain, and they have taken quite aggresive measures to achieve that separation. Tech-tree wise, they have always been known for their dairy products. So there you have an economic bonus.

1 Like

What does that even mean?

I am heavily against new European civilizations. Khazars were Asian. Croatians were so weak they were crushed easily by Hungary in the 11th century. Vlachs were also irrelevant and weak. The only options I see are the Serbs. The most other civs I see here are already well represented by existing civs in the game such as Franks, Spanish, Teutons, Italians, Vikings etc.

1 Like

This. So many significant civs and realms outside Europe are missing that a European DLC should only be considered after 2-3 other DLCs.
And if they ever decide to go back to Europe, they should never split up Italians, Teutons and Spanish. All those German or North-Italian microstates would be ridiculous (and too many to cover). I could perhaps see a DLC with Serbs and Georgians plus a Magyar or Turk campaign then. But that’s not the priority now.

1 Like

Nothing…Maybe Swiss but I have no interest in Europe.

2 Likes

Serbians, Romanians, Croatians and Venetians for one big expansion in the Balkans would be very neat.

3 Likes

I mean, if Cumans and Huns are asian wouldnt Armenia and Georgia be Europeans?

Cuman and Hun are culturally Asian, from Asian region. Armenia and Georgia may be in Asian region but culturally mixed.

2 Likes

Caucasia is region is Asia, so the DLC containing Armenia and Georgia would be an Asian DLC. Some people consider them European because their culture is “similar” to most European civs than most Asian civs.

1 Like

Georgia is surely culturally European, in the case of Armenians I get that it is more complicated because they were in the middle beetwen Persia, the Arabs and the Byzantines

But if we get into the culture thing, why is European culture so important when looking into civs that integrated themselves while Asia is such a big mesh of diferent cultures that doesnt get the same treatment? Seems a bit contrived honestly. Maybe its better to just look at geography in that case