Which has better graphics, AoE3 DE or AoE4?

I really think it is subjective. I belong to the gang that really likes AOE IV graphics.
I honestly find them a treat to my eyes.
It is its own thing and I don’t get the constant criticism and comparisons be it to III or II.
Why not like both (all three) anyway?

4 Likes

Both AoE III vanilla and DE.

AoE I also, due to nostalgia.

1 Like

I think aoe4 dev started a long time ago and for whatever reason they paused along the way. So assuming they have an up to date engine is done for. This explains the terrible, horrible graphics.

3 Likes

I vote for Age of Empires III

1 Like

Of course AOE3.

I won’t buy AoE 4 because of the graphic, it is reaaaaaally bad. It seems a 2015 game.

3 Likes

I really love the terrains in Age 4! Thank god it’s not flat anymore

9 Likes

have you try to put geometric levels in high? because aoe4 models are even better than aoe3 de models my dude imo

3 Likes

If thats the case I would play too, I have played the same game since 2007, I can resist it.

AOE 4 DE > AOE 3 DE > AOE 4 > AOE 3 lol

4 Likes

While aoe4 don’t look like a 2021 game it’s very clear it has more advanced graphics than aoe3 de. I’m not even sure if those saying aoe3 de looks better are trolling or not.

Not sure on 4de>3de, let’s wait for that, the rest I agree with :smiley:

AoE3:DE is better.
But I don’t care about crews on artillery.

5 Likes

As someone who’s never been into AoE3, AoE3DE looks horrible, muddy, with a stark contrast between realistic colors and cartooney accents. I would never play that game based on graphics. AoE2 aged much better than 3 and looks much better, and I don’t even know how you can even compare AoE4 graphics with AoE3. You probably haven’t even played the game, but if you did and this is the conclusion you arrived at, be my guest to continue playing AoE3.

5 Likes

I would say the landscape looks better in AoE 4 then aoe 3 de but units and buildings look a lot better in aoe 3 de

2 Likes

I am fairly certain there will be a mod to add AOE 3 DE like graphics to aoe 4 within 6 months of release.

2 Likes

Personally I prefer 4.

5 Likes

I played a game of AOE 3 DE after the beta was over and to my surprise it looked worse than AOE 4. I did not expect that.

AOE 4 is going to be a success.

8 Likes

Nonsense.

1. Water
  2. Arrows originating from feet
    Aoe2 has nostalgic charm, Aoe4 looks good with some weird blind spots, and Aoe3 looks the best.
5 Likes

If I had to compare when it comes to fidelity and- I guess maybe

• IV: console port of og, vanilla Far Cry 3
  • III:DE: mix of maxed out PC version of something between Far Cry 4 + Primal

Overall the same basket, various levels of stylization, but most people would know from the start screenshot from what game they would use for their desktop wallpaper.

I care first and foremost about mechanics, strategic depth, content. Honestly, for me AoE IV can look like ‘SimCity 3000’ or ‘Rise to Ruins’.
People don’t play graphics, people play games, and people get used to even the best visuals, eventually.

AOE 2 DE, even the old version looks better