Which has better graphics, AoE3 DE or AoE4?

No comparison can be made at the moment :slight_smile:

1. Nobody has seen Age IV
  2. It is a Beta, they may have only let us see some things and the final can be very different
  3. AoE 3 DE was reshaped 1year ago based on already existing objects, it is of course way much easier to improve an existing object than creating one from scratch
  4. All those who played the Beta can’t share screenshot of what they have seen because of NDA to discuss the details of a specific graphic.
  5. No matter what, there will always be pro and cons and it is very personal.
  6. It doesn’t matter at all anyway, if you want to buy a game for graphics, don’t buy an RTS game.

7. Enjoy what you have, and take it as it is : a whole. New game means not only new graphisms, but also new mechanisms, new balance, new everything.

2 Likes

yes they have, they had a closed beta. not to mention they have shown a lot of footage, which we can assume only to be things they want us to see.

generally speaking no, it is extremely rare that there are significant changes between Beta and release, usually its only bug fixing or maybe slight balance changes.

arguably it is actually easier to start from scratch, esp since AOE3s engine is ancient compared to AOE4s. sure you dont have to come up with original guidance art and can generally reuse animations already in game but on the other hand legacy issues with the engine and its limitations will also be a persistent issue.

2 Likes

Yeah , there is much better screenshots btw , I agree that aoe3 is more realistic but aoe4 for me is much better

I was in beta , so I already seen the game

I AGREE :point_up:

I know, I was one of “them”. It was a Beta, not AoE4.

It is a lot to presume, depends in what order the game got developped, and nobody outside knows for sure if there will or won’t be graphical changes.

I was not precise enough, improving existing graphics is easier than creating new ones in the sense you already have something to work with, while, in the other way, you need to think of how to design the element without being to close of what already exists then creates it and create the whole movement mechanic. For AoE3, the mechanic already exist, makes images less angular is easier thant having to recreate everything including the moves.

But the general appearance of everything is similar to a normal game. Also scenarios like this where everything is well assembled are frequent in campaigns or historical battles.

Even AOE-1 DE has more attention to detail, which is what makes it appear inferior graphically, (the absence of detail). The things that bring immersion and fascination.

3 Likes

AOE4 got much better art style, graphics and readability than any AOE game, but they need to be improved in his own style.

2 Likes

Indeed! AoE 4 environmental and polygons are great, they just need attention to deailt, for me the game looks cheap, boring not inmersive and could add even more negative feelings

1 Like

Hard to believe at its core that’s such an old game.

In contrast, we’re getting static chicken in AoE IV!

You know what stands out for me in that video? Metallic surfaces and reflections.

Metal looks like metal and roofs and water reflect the sun. Those 2 things were true in AoE III even before the HD remaster. For a time period when steel, bronze, copper, etc. was so extensively used in armies, AoE IV surely does a very poor job at recreating it.

2 Likes

Since when readability was an issue? Lol

This readability thing was invented by Relic for AGE IV as an excuse for poor quality in a 2021 game, I am starting to think that in 2019 they realized their engine won’t handle age IV and reduced a lot the graphics with the excuse of readability, X19 trailer looks way better than this and people only complain was the bright/pastel colors

3 Likes

This is just an example of devs going for quality instead of no sense readability
 there are many games that you can zoom in and appreciate little details like, DOW, COH and many others, In AGE IV you really don’t want to zoom in jajaja, the lack of detail will surprise many

4 Likes

I think you dont know what readability is, buddy

3 Likes

I love both. Which will I eventually prefer? Ask me in a year.

1 Like

AOE3de’s graphic is piece of ■■■■.

You called this shitty graphich of AOE3de “much better”?

Is it illegal to prefere one or the other? What are you getting angry about?
Beauty is subjective.
But even then you can argue about texture detail, model complexity etc. and it’s hard to come up with counterarguments. If you have some about why IV is better- feel free to write them down.

1 Like

Not the graphics themselves. The details, the art in general is better achieved.

Hmm actually all these images reinforce my opinion that aoe4 looks better.

I can’t say that I like AoE 3, it makes me doubtful and I would say that I rather do not like it. I don’t like the era of the game (it’s not very interesting for me), I don’t like the gameplay solutions associated with simplifying the gameplay, then now our cities are not very similar to monumental cities. But it doesn’t matter, as far as AoE 3 DE is concerned, the game looks really good, it is well detailed, but this causes several problems, for a start it is difficult for me to distinguish units in mirror games, when you play against the same faction it will not be so easy for you to figure it out where are your units for big skirmishes.
But the most important thing that I didn’t like about the re-release was the optimization. I was surprised by the ratings in Steam, because many people liked the game, but when I read the reviews I understood everything, it simply did not work for people. On my PC, I was able to play the game, but many AoE 3 fans don’t have the most powerful computers, and I can understand their frustration at not being able to play their favorite game, and the reviews for the game have been “mixed” for a long time.
So, I think this is what - There is no point in good graphics if people cannot play the game, so the most important thing is optimization and accessibility. If simplifying the visual style of the game allows me to play with more people, well, I don’t mind. The main thing is that the game works for everyone who wants to play it.

1 Like

It heavily depended on training, but yes stick and spears have had a lot of successes against swords. A broken spear gives a great extra weapon that has off set swords and shield using the lighter weight gave speed and agility over the shield and sword Armor differences is what finally put the spear to a disadvantage no mater the quality or training. Throwing spears the guy also had a secondary weapon, but usually would use the spear for thrusting and like a staff unless opportunity presented its self for a demoralizing kill. Usually a throwing spear was mainly a hunting spear. Less likely to need your weapon as fast as one being in a war.

1 Like