Why people are still leaving? I don’t understand…

releasing the game without the editor was probably the biggest mistake they made with AoE4, along with stuff like the zoom or the bad AI.

and with spring patch potentially still being 2 months or more away, there will still be many people leaving.

5 Likes

Honestly I just leave if the enemy builds a wonder a lot of the time. Cba to cheese my way all the way to the back corner of the map for the 13048234th time in a row.

That’s the spirit, it’s great as is and will keep getting better

I only leave if my ally builds himself enough houses to reach 200 pop before adding in some military buildings.

As for being on topic, unless somebody has friends to play with, I have a hard to feeling the same fun that they are having, if they are having fun playing alone.

I’m sorry but this is a personal opinion.

I for one don’t see that it has even half the QoL features and game modes that other Age games have.

I am pretty bored by the civ design where every civ has pretty much the same units except a few unique ones.

I do not like Landmark victories at all. It’s poor game design.

A lot of things have been written by people who have played previous Age games and I wouldn’t want to write the same things again. Good if you like the game.

But the others aren’t haters for not liking it. Sometimes, they just want an age of empires experience.

5 Likes

yeah its safe to say that aoe 4 was made by ppl who dont understand why aoe is fun and a good game/franchise

I agree with this but 4 years is too long. I think another 12 months for bugs/balance and a DLC can put the game in a good place. AoE2DE also roughly took about 12 months to get its act together. 4 years is far too long.

the difference is that aoe2 has already a functional game to retain meanwhile de version improve. 4 doesnt

2 Likes

While I agree for the most part I think the issues at hand are different from what AoE2DE had as problems. The most important issues DE2 had were poor performance and pathing which needed to be optimised. These were fixed for less than an year even together with the most needed balance changes (nerfing the Cumans) came within a month. AoE4 on the other hand has been running smooth from the start but it is lacking in more aspects (being hardly a finished product on release). The game needs design decisions actual development rather than optimisation. It is of course individual what players find satisfactory but in the most caaes I think AoE4 will need more than an year to be in a good state.

1 Like

I can’t think of any Age of Empires game that I didn’t like to play since launch with friends, this one included, but this one is unique for not being fun to play on my own due to the enormous whale holding back all of our important features. :frowning:

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of comments and ideas from people, its also nice to see that 99% of you guys don’t have your caps lock stuck on to be the loudest in the room

3 Likes

Please go ahead! Cherry pick everything you want . This game has good details and good graphics , it’s just that you guys don’t apreciate them.

It tooked 21 years for aoe2 to get everything aoe4 could have in 12 months lmao.

Eh, this is really subjective

I think the graphics are way too cartoonish and unrealisticly colored, I miss the photorealism of aoe2 and 3

But I don’t speak on it much bc it’s a personal preference, at the end of the day it isn’t too clunky/cartoonish for me to look past.

But to say the graphics are actually good and detailed? Yeah that’s a stretch.

What about aoe3 which was launched with all the features (except treaty mode) that most people ask for

6 Likes

Yeah it took 21 years for aoe2 to complete the herculean task of implementing color selection, random maps and map editors.

Sure they are. This is no slight on you not liking them at all, but they’re absolutely detailed. Some liberties have been taken (facial detail, for example, is very rough), but by comparison things like the Knight’s barding (and some of the later / metal armours on other units) looks nice and sharp. So do a lot of the buildings throughout the ages (with, again, some exceptions. Mainly the straw). All of the environmental art is compatible with a range of biomes (this is one of the more impressive things for me - being able to change the entire look of a map with a single aesthetic option).

There was a similar thing when Civ VI was released. It moved away from photorealism to a more stylised look. But there’s a ton of detail and craft in all of the art in that game. And I’d consider Civ VI to be far more stylised than Age IV, personally.

We seem to equate photorealism with quality, and I think it would be better for adherents of any visual style if we broke that association. Not . . . entirely sure how we do that though :sweat_smile:

It tooked 21 years to get the game as it is now . It is true that Aoe4 doesn’t have editor at launch , but what I’m saying is that this game in only 12 months could surpass a 21 year old project .

I am curious exactly what features of AoE2 you are describing as taking 21 years to get. I played AoE2 back before AoC was released, and I recall it being very much a complete game at that time and quite similar to how it is now.

It is my impression that AoE2’s long shelf life is a testament not to how long it took it to develop amazing features but rather a testament to how loyal players are to a game that is released with having amazing features all along.

4 Likes

It’s subjective as you say , I do think graphics are good and you can see them without getting an epilepsia by looking at them , Not as other titles did , it is right aoe3 DE? Really , in that game unit colors don’t match up with the environment and HEAR ME UP , because Aoe3 was my childhood game and I love it with all of my heart .

Aoe3 DE is a disappointment at least for me and ik about the good environmental graphics and nature the game has but those unit colors give me a headache and I’m sorry to say , but Unit color doesn’t match great with the beautiful landscape the game has.

Sorry for bad quality, these screenshots have been taken in the game trailers .

For me , units doesn’t match with the ground , but every player can have its own opinion , as well I have my own opinion about Aoe4 graphics , Simple but detailed graphics , if you stare at them for a few minutes you will start seeing things , if you tilt the camera , you can see hidden stuff in buildings and that type of stuff.

Hello andy , I think that many of you misunderstood my message and what I did wanted to say is that , in 12 months Aoe4 COULD have the same Feautures aoe2 has by now .