[WIP] Ancient Civilizations - Total Conversion Mod

Some Praetorian Cavalry and Legionary :slight_smile:

Still need to complete alternate idle, attack, death, decay and unit card for this last unit.
Hope to release all units with cards this weekend if all goes well.

5 Likes

doesnt the in game centurion already pretty good fit for aoe1?

1 Like

@thieftdp8498 the Centurion like the Cataphract cavalry unit has the symbols Khi-Rho (XP) which is from Greek alphabet and are the first two letters of Khristos. The symbol allegedly was seen in a vision by Constantine before the battle of the Milvian bridge and is Christian. This period would be late Antiquity/Early Middle Ages and consequently not belong to the AOE period.

The Praetorians were also disbanded by Constantine after his victory. As a result, both Cataphract and Centurion belong more to a Eastern Roman/Greek/Byzantium period when Christianity was on the rise. The Legionary unit with its large scutum shield and Praetorian Cavalry belong more to the 2nd Century AD, when Rome and Latin culture with their Pagan Gods still dominated the Military.

2 Likes

Roman Fort (replaces castle) with custom destruction animation.
Was able to use FX editor to overlay some of the animations from game to create.

Like the Town Center, inspired by original content in Rome at War Mode created by WFS years ago.

I am thinking about ideas for other unique forts for some of the other civs 2 - 3rd Century AD.

5 Likes

I have published a BETA version of Roman Antiquity MOD that is not the original vision of Ancient Civ total Conversion mod (this thread). This is what I currently play with in my personal game it is NOT balanced, not final, and still a Work in Progress (WIP) but I thought I had enough content to start sharing. There are 5 files.

This is published for the communities enjoyment and for those who want to see more of AOE ported in a playable format to AOE 2.

Mod includes a combination of ported AOE assets (in correct size for UHD) covering Egyptians, Roman (using both Greek and Roman AOE), and Babylonian building sets. Also includes custom modeled and rendered Roman units, including a couple custom buildings Roman Town Center and Fort (replaces Castle) both with custom destruction animations.

@xWHIT3W0LFx xWHIT3W0LFx I borrowed some of the great work you did with ported UI and sound objects as well. Thank you for sharing these with the community.

Age of Empires - Mods - Roman Antiquity Mod 1 of 5 (UDH Support only)

Age of Empires - Mods - Roman Antiquity Mod 2 of 5 (UDH Support only)

Age of Empires - Mods - Roman Antiquity Mod 3 of 5 (UDH Support only)

Age of Empires - Mods - Roman Antiquity Mod 4 of 5 (UDH Support only)

Age of Empires - Mods - Roman Antiquity Mod 5 of 5 (UDH Support only)

List of Changes (not comprehensive) and WIP, no balancing either:

*** Romans (Medi with String Files for Italians - Romans (Western) and Byzantines - Romans (Eastern)**

1. Medi set is replaced with Combination of Greek AOE buildings for Feudal and Roman for Castle Age. Includes Custom Town Center (Castle Age and UP) and Fort with Destruction Animation.
  2. Custom Units: Roman Pilum unit replaces Italian and Byzantine Spearman and Pikeman. Legionary is replaced and trainable at Barracks to both civs now. Centurion is now replaced with Praetorian custom cavalry unit trainable now at Barracks. Praetorian Cavalry (replaces Cataphract) trainable during Castle Age. Also Praeotrian Pilum unit trainable at castle. (All units come with custom Unit Card)
  3. Scout, Light Cavalry and Knight for both civs are now replaced with non hero version of Alaric. Looked more appropriate for Civ.
  4. Crossbowman are now not trainable for civs.

*** Huns, Celts, Goths, Slavs (Barbarian Tribes)**

1. These civs now have Castle Age Tech Disabled along with Stone walls and Gates. Supposed to be played against as Feudal age opponents. (Understand this is incredibly unbalanced, but that was accurate for period and subject to changes.
  2. Mills replaced with AOE graphics. (These didn’t arrive till around 800 AD so not right for period.
  3. Spear/Pikeman and sword units in Feudal age are replaced with combinations of norse warriors, berserks, etc to keep them looking more visual accurate for period.
  4. Scouts are replaced with non hero version of Jarl Graphic.

*** Babylonians - Persians**

1. Middle Eastern (Persians, Saracens, etc) use AOE Babylonian Buildings.
  2. Persian - Knights, Scouts, spearman, pikeman etc are replaced with other existing game units to make them look more appropriate for the period.

*** Egyptians (String edited renaming Ethiopians Egyptian)**

1. African (Ethiopians) use AOE Egyptian buildings
  2. Knights, Cav Archers use AOE Chariots.
  3. Other units, Spearman/Pikeman replaceed with other existing game units to again make them look more appropriate for the period.

Other changes:
Include renaming some strings (Castle to Fort), Cataphract, Centurion, and Condottiero to Praetorian Cav or Praetorian.
Add Roman Eagle Flag/Standard (Replaces flag F)
Most ships are replaced with AOE Trireme.
Ages Rename (Iron Age, Early Antiquity, Middle Antiquity for Dark - Castle Age)
General UI Changes, game sounds, and some Civ Icons from xWHIT3W0LFx work.

7 Likes

you have done a wonderful job! well done!

1 Like

Thanks for this awesome mod :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ambush in Teutoburg Forest!

7 Likes

Should have added some woad raiders too.

1 Like

Thinking about adding via DAT mod a Greek (converted Spanish) civ that will be restricted to Feudal (Early Antiquity) like the Barbarian civs.

They will be able to train Hoplites and more Greek like infantry.
This would allow for Early Republic Campaigns and Give Rome more enemies to fight!

This looks like the AoE1 we deserved but never got, lol

3 Likes

Feudal only civi is a bad idea.

1 Like

@Mahazona yes this is true if your aim is to have a balanced fully playable civ to go toe to toe with other civs in game. This of course is ideal but my purposes are more narrow due to limited resources and time:

To have a Scenario Editor/Custom campaign centered on Roman Empire. With that in mind, I am focused on early enemies of the Republic - transition to Empire, and then deal with the long time foes/antagonists of her rule namely the Germanic and later Hun tribes to the North of Danube/East of Rhine and the Persian Empire(s) to the East.

All I want to do is conquer a few enemies, build my Empire, and then fortify my position, march my legions along the Rhine defending against an ever growing horde of barbarian invaders, and countering a persistent threat in the East. Maybe even put down a few rebellions/civil wars within the Empire.

I hope to one day finish a Grand Scenario showcasing all this, and share it with community. However, it sort of feels like a labor of love that will never be completed :slight_smile:

WIP - New Content

Roman Army Tents to add in Scenario Editor (ETA April):

5EA7EB17-AF87-4456-A386-73093F00BCFB

New Caesar unit to replace King unit for Romans (ETA April - May):

Other possible Units (Suggestions Welcomed):
Looking to expand content. Potential to focus on enemies/allies of Rome (100 BC - 200AD).
I feel AOE units do a good job covering the Greeks, Egyptian chariots but, game didn’t cover Barbarians, Romans (units looked Greek), or Persians well.

Roman:

Light Roman Cavalry Unit to replace Scout, Light Cavalry units for civ.

Unique Spear Units other civs:

Egyptian:

Persian:

64c9db039f37bb3d73896cd49f56e122

Germanic:

1 Like

You can use some of the ingame units like woad raider berserker huskarl as barbarians. You can go for more exotic units like numidian cavalry ibrian soldiers like slingers or thrasian flaxman.

2 Likes

@Mahazona I agree the Woad Raider, Beserker, etc does fit well for Barbarian. I like your idea about more exotic units. These have no good stand ins from either game to represent. Do you have any good reference images that you think captures the look and feel of these units? Looking for the most iconic representation of them to base a model off of.

I always look at pictures from the osprey book for ref as they are historically accurate.
Thrasian units you can see here
http://patriotii-moldovei.narod.ru/index/0-39

Numidian cavalry

This would also help

2 Likes

Excuse me… is this project still going on?

1 Like

@LapinVicomte this project as far as I know died but I transferred/borrowed many of the concepts/assets to my own project: ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept - #230 by TheConqueror753

I think I may be the only surviving member still working on a mod set in this era.

3 Likes

Thank you for your hard work