You were dropped from the game because of a sync error

Game Version:

• Build: 38862
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: splittlefield

Issue:

I’m playing a multiplayer game with some friends against computers. We usually play 2v5 or 2v6 and at least 80% of the time the game seems to quit midway through and we get the following error message" You were dropped from the game because of a sync error. Your network connection may have been lost." However our internet connections are fine so it’s not that.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

1. Simply play a multiplayer game, usually 2v5 or 2v6. The game drops midway though.

ATTACHMENTS:

9 Likes

For me the same yesterday :pensive:

2 Likes

same for me, almost every game nowadays… play 2v6 and 3v5 a lot and if we survive the initial onslaught it crashes mid game quite often during the large battles

3 Likes

Yeah, mine was also 2vs6 :astonished:

2 Likes

Thanks for the report splittle!
This is now being tracked.

7 Likes

Sadly still getting this error on both LAN and Online. :frowning:

2 Likes

I have started getting this error in the vast majority of my games now, ever since the July patch was released. The game is basically unplayable. There isn’t any warning - the game doesn’t lag or slow down or stutter the way the original did, just an immediate drop to the scoreboard with the sync error message. Please at least give people the option to roll back to older versions of the game until you fix this!

Edit: We usually play 3 humans vs 5 computers

4 Likes

I bought the game through steam with a couple of friends. But it’s unplayable. I think 90% of the games we get this error “you were dropped out of the game because of a sync error”. We are all on wired internet, stable and fast. Why does this happen? Why no retry in connection?

2 Likes

Hi BBQTurkman, any updates yet?

4 Likes

Please not so fast! Only one update per year!

4 Likes

This game (my favourite game) is no longer usable because of this error 80% of the time I play (regardless of how many players there are - e.g. 2v1, 2v2, 2v3 have all generated this error - on the Steam version of AOE DE too). Looking forward to a fix soon…

4 Likes

One thing I discovered that I think is causing the issue, but haven’t had a chance to test is if someone has altered the PER files. I didn’t have this problem until after the last server update on 11-24. I had changed my random map PER file so that the computer will not resign, but did not think to check until after the 4th drop that was the problem. Check with your teammates and see if any of them made changes to the file(s). I suspect deathmatch.per and default.per may be to blame as well. I know custom maps will get you as well if you make a change to it and forget to send it to your teammates. Unfortunately when going to change my brother’s per file, I crashed his windows since he has the microsoft store version, where I have the steam version, so I have to fix his windows before I can try it again.

1 Like

Problem is happening for me too. 2 humans vs 6 computers. Online mode, not LAN. So frustrating. I wish they would fix this.

8 Likes

The problem persists. We tried to avoid EU servers with better results. Almost unplayable.

4 Likes

Is this issue even being addressed? This bug has been around for so long. My friends and I are frustrated because we all love the game and this keeps happening. Whether we change the servers or not or even reduce the amount of AI, the crash happens.

4 Likes

20 Feb 21
Same problem… multiplayer 2 human vs 4 computer crashes every time usually when a big battle starts up… after 20-30mins game play.
Always same error… SYNC ERROR
Not been able to complete a game since we started using Steam at Christmas.
VERY DISAPPOINTING

4 Likes

Hi BBQ… any luck with this? We joined steam and downloaded AOE DE at christmas and have not had a single successful completion of the game yet when playing multiplayer online.
Game is unplayable.

2 Likes

I also get this same issue very often.

I bought this game to be able to play it online with my kids while I am on business trips, but it has been nothing but a frustration and disappointment with most games getting dropped part way through.

Either fix it, or stop advertising multiplayer, as it does not work.

2 Likes

This is ridiculous. Happens randomly so will be in a game for 45 minutes or more and get kicked out with the same message. No warning, no slow down. nothing…

“You were dropped from the game because of a sync error. Your network connection may have been lost.”

2 PCs networked on a LAN, this is not even an online game.

Are you telling me the network stack in this game cannot account for any lag, any possible issues, even on a LAN connection? How does it even function online?

How are other games able to stay “synced” for hours at a time online with literally thousands of players but this game that is a re-make and should have ironed out simple network problem still cannot work properly on a LAN connection. No routing, almost zero lag… Jesus tap dancing Christ.

I’m sorry but I have to quote AVGN on this one:

“Did anyone even test this sh*$load of f*&$?”

I want my money back.

1 Like

Hi all, me too have the same problem. But only in the last 4 weeks and i ask to me, why, me and my friend we have never this problem before? very strange

2 Likes