A bugfix for Steam Italian translation by... myself!

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

  • GAME BUILD #: 101.101.45340.0
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED


A small premise: I’m not reporting a bug… but providing a bugfix. Let me explain…

In this thread:

Among others, I reported a bug in the Italian translation, about the text of the button for building a lumber camp (“Costruisci falegnameria”), which is wrongly shown as “R”:

I’ve found the source of this bug in the Steam version of the game: it’s in this file

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\resources\it\strings\key-value

in this line:

6464 “R”

There are other “R” strings in the file, but I’m sure the right “R” to be fixed is that one, because I’ve tried replacing it like this:

6464 “Costruisci falegnameria”

and it works:

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

  • 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

  1. Start the game with the unaltered original file;
  2. Apply my fix;
  3. Restart the game and check translation of button text.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Include the fix into the next release… and don’t punish me for having tampered copyrighted content, please!

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

  • This is the fixed file. Important warning: it’s for “Lords of the West” expansion, it may not work for users not owning it.

key-value-strings-utf8.txt (1,8 MB)

1 Like

Update: I’ve fixed other strings:

  • “Giovanni si ritirò in Borgogna allo scopo di riorganizzarsi, ma non avrebbe trovato il risposo desiderato.” in second scenario of Grand Dukes campaign (it should be “riposo”);
  • “NONE” treaty option in Skirmish setup screen (it should be “NESSUNO”)
  • The already found “Costruisci falegnameria”

These are the updated strings:

230252 "Giovanni si ritirò in Borgogna allo scopo di riorganizzarsi, ma non avrebbe trovato il riposo desiderato."
6464 "Costruisci falegnameria"
10500 "<Nessuno>"

Fixed file:
key-value-strings-utf8.txt (1,8 MB)

Bonus: I’ve created a small PowerShell script (extension is .ps1, remove .txt) in order to automate these replacements. NOTE: in my PC the drive containing the game is “D:”, so paths must be corrected for yours.
ita_fixer.ps1.txt (1,1 KB)

P.S.: Please devs, include these fixes in the next release…