African Expansion DLC | Ethiopia + Hausa | New mechanics to the game

what impact it had then… Korea is much more important in that case than Maoris.

general criteria for how a faction is chosen:

1. rule of cool, is the faction actually cool and does it have cool units/history

2. involvement, how many wars and against what opponents did they fight

3. uniqueness

the thing is Korea doesn’t do that well on this scale, they have rocket artillery and turtleships but outside of those 2 units i cant see what makes the faction “cool”. they also wont be super unique since most of the roster will look fairly similar to china and in terms of involvement korea only participated in 1 war, a war they didnt do so well in.

2 Likes

look at what Wars of Liberty did with Korea. They made Korea “cool” and unique.

why can’t AOE3 do something similar with it?

you mocking achievement of Admiral Yi?

Technological advancement isn’t a linear measurement. The Maori were extremely advanced when it came to astronomy, navigation, crop rotation, growing off-season crops, and building ocean-going vessels. In fact, for centuries people had dismissed their sea-faring prowess as mythology, and it wasn’t until the 90s that their techniques were proven to be able to safely navigate the ocean.

People like you dismissing conquered peoples as primitive just because they didn’t have the same military power as their conquerors is one of the many aftershocks of colonialism that is still felt to this day. It’s not enough that colonizers already destroyed the culture and history of most such peoples, you have to come along and open your stupid mouth as well.

Neither did the Japanese until the Ports came. Are you saying the Japanese aren’t technologically advanced?

2 Likes

How are we feeling today friends?
Already tire of a ongoing almost pointless debate against another non-historian?
I got sometime for you!
Guaraní civilization, fits the time frame and is really easy to make!

1 Like

Yi undoubtedly was a good admiral, but the list of Korean success ends with him and even with him the war was looking extremely bleak for Korea.

1 Like

African expansion looks really amazing I can’t wait for it :heart::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart:

3 Likes

Hopefully it will be three civs to match Warcheifs and Asian Dynasties but high quality is the most important thing. I wonder if they will do campaigns? I’d be happy with a collection of historical battles over a campaign as I really enjopyed the ones they added in DE.

Looking forward to this a lot, I don’t know much about African history. I studied a bit of British occupation period in uni but really hope this expansion brings life to some African cultures that AOE2 just couldent do.

After him the invasion ended. Also what about Militia and other generals like Gwon Yul?

I want the Zulu so that they can hard spank the British in a campaign.

I would settle for them and Ethiopians, then in the future we’ll see.

1 Like

So can we get back to talking about Ethiopia and Nigeria and what new mechanics these civs will have?

1 Like

They did not. Arguable they are comparable with the Iroqouis, adapting European technologies in warfare.

They even battled the Portugueze many times and also won miltiple times. They were catholic and were also a dodacese or however its called for a bishop.

They even used Portugueze mercenaries in their armies.

1 Like

I think Zulu could be a Minor Nation with two Unique Units.

Battle of Rorke’s Drift could appear in Historical Battles. There, the Zulu would use Mutapa buildings and units. Like the Somalis in HB - they used Ethiopian buildings.

Mutapa was a great empire, and the Zulu made up many states that were not empires. The Mutapa Empire encompassed the lands of the Zulu.

Mutapa civ could be a surprise like Hausa civ.

2 obvious civs: Ethiopians and Moroccans

2 surprises, but powerful ones:
Hausa and Mutapa

Nice if we got 2 more African civs for free to test the African mechanics. The Congolese and Mamluk / Sudanese would be the coolest for free update.

1 Like

I wonder if the African DLC will bring us more than 3 civilisations.

Confirmed:

• Ethiopia
  • Hausa

Hinted at:

• Morocco (Historic missions)

Wished by a lot of fans:

• Zulu
  • Italy
  • Oman

That makes 3 African civilisations (if you count Morocco as Mediterranean) and 3 foreign colonizers.

I think all of those civilisations are more or less equally valid but I think a 6 civilisation DLC would be a huge surprise.

This would be as big as TWC and TAD combined. Well civilisation wise. TWC only had 2 campaigns and TAD 3. TWC also only brought a small number of maps and minor civilisations.
Africa will likely not bring that many new maps because it’s hard to design new maps that are distinct and balanced. A remake of American or Asian maps with an African skin would be boring.
But I’m sure making interesting and balanced civilisations is harder than maps or scenarios.

We can wait for a European or Asian DLCs for Omani and Italians, but Morocco should really be in an African DLC, specially for this timeframe, and also because we already have quite a few Berber units in the game.
If they gave us Morocco and Zulus in the African DLC, I think people like me, who want Italy and Omani, would be happy to wait for Euro and Asia DLCs with them.

2 Likes

They showed that thy can make single civilisation DLCs. Italy, Oman and Persia are candidates for that.
But we will see. I think AoE3DE has a lot of potential even after the release of AoE4.

1 Like

I do not think they would be singe civ DLCs, and I think taht should be saved up for civs like Brazil or Mexico, to be honest.
There are still excatly 3 missing empires in Asia and Europe, each. It would be reasonable to make 3 civ DLCs for each of them.

2 Likes

I think the future of AoE III expansions depends a lot on how the first African civilizations DLC will sell. The developers are putting their heart and soul into continuing to develop AoEIII, but it shows that they are betting a lot more on AoEII, and if AoE4 is going to be awesome I’m afraid that if they have to drop something they drop AoE3.

2 Likes

4 civs* for Asia and Europe :wink: