Armenian's Champions are OP

That info about how they generally did against infantry has been out there for ages. I’m not sure how adding one unit suddenly makes all those existing relationships clear for the first time, or worth reevaluating. IMO Jags counter mostly infantry well enough, but are not outside the scope of a mild buff in the face of power creep such as the Armenian UT.

There’s probably some familiarity bias at work, but I think most of this can be chalked up to how people would rather talk about new things than make the 51st thread about a 24-year old unit. Also, the balance patches have been pretty good at addressing most of the community’s concerns. You don’t see tons of new threads saying Conquistadors or Janissaries are OP, because it’s already been said, and mostly been dealt with to the satisfaction of players. Pretty sure people don’t want new DLC civs to be lame like initial release Dravidians or Bengalis, although some might prefer that to them being OP like Gurjaras.

People have had 24 years to figure these out. More importantly, even at low levels they have very simple counters, and are far slower and more expensive than champs. Even so, you’ll occasionally find (usually new) people saying they’re OP in teamgames and should therefore cost more pop or whatever.

I’m not sure where the “gotcha” 's supposed to be with these two. They were OP on release and even after subsequent nerfs are considered S or A tier and are great options despite competing with highly incentivized knightlines. It’s not crazy for people to imagine that a similar looking unit like the Monaspa might also be too strong on release. I do think Monaspa are possibly too strong (for their cost/TT anyway), but I don’t have a problem with the basic design, and the balance issues will come out in the wash.

Yes, nobody has ever made a thread or post about Mangudai being OP.

Clever, but, I think unnecessary. IMO Jags need a small tweak like +1 Melee, +.1 speed, or +2 bonus vs. infantry, but not a new armor class as would be much more fitting for Samurai. I maintain that they’re fundamentally decent in their role, but it’s a niche role given that swordsmen are generally non-meta and Aztecs don’t worry about enemy pikes.

1 Like