[MERGED] Late-game performance in team games deteriorated in anniversary patch (42848)

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 43210.0
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

Before the anniversary update I was having somewhat bad performance on late game, but it was playable. After the anniversary update, it became unplayable from the middle of the game onwards (like, below 100 pop lag started), and even had random lag spikes earlier in the game. The hotfix improved things a bit, but performance is still way way worse than before the anniversary patch, and random lag* even on early stages of the game persist. Nothing changed on my end. I’m attaching DxDiag in case it helps.

*By lag I mean, input lag occasionally, and it feels as if the mouse is “heavy”, it’s hard to scroll around and to micro, the frame rate is low and inconsistent.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS), but intensity varies slightly.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

1 Like

1 my mate is copping the same thing
even something simple like checking tech tree in lobby laggs bringing that up i can only imagine how frustrating that could be and like u said seems after castle he continuously laggs yellow clock then late game straight up red and before some nuffy goes well could be his pc virus update rah rah rah was fine before this stupid massive update that has wrecked the smoothness of this game we have done everything from uninstall to troubleshooting
been trying to help him out but aoe top dogs dont seem interested unless it affects a massive amount of people i just dont get after each update they manage to screw something else up very frustrating

1 Like

3 human vs 3 AI today on Fortress, when we were 100 pop each game went ~5 fps (steam showed 45 fps, but game felt as 5 fps)

1 Like

• BUILD #: 43210

Over a month ago when the anniversary patch was released, it was reported that many gamers experienced drops in FPS after this new update including myself, then a fix was released that theoretically fixed it, but the problem persists and, sometimes, and at times the game becomes unplayable, with drops of up to 30 fps (this before the November patch did not happen, so something was done wrong). When these frame drops occur, the GPU load automatically drops as well. And there is no bottleneck in the CPU and GPU.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This exact problem happened previously in the Mongols Raiders patch and within a week it was fixed, but a month has passed and still nothing.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: Before the anniversary patch my benchmark score in AoE 2 DE was 1200+, now it barely reaches 1100 AVG.

The GPU drivers were updated, the game was put in maximum performance in windows, and the dxdiag was sent to support and everything remains the same without a hotfix.

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Play a scenario for a long time with a program like MSI AFTERBURNER to notice the behavior of the hardware in this game. It occurs mostly in large numbers of units.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

as you see the GPU and CPU (including RAM) are never 100% to say that there is a bottleneck in my hardware.

1 Like

Same issue, i reported this like you. still waiting for 2 week. But mu cpu going to %99 and gpu dropping to %5. This never happened before this sh.tty updates. Now usages going weird. And after 40 minute of team games, fps is 2
My benchmark test’s fps was 30-35 before. Now it is 18-21

why does GPU and CPU need to be at 100%? unless you are running on 1 to 2 core cpu with integrated graphics that literally makes no sense.

after the hotfix, most people are getting much better performance than even pre patch. if they reverse the patch, everyone will be back to the crappy performance prior.

The performance before the patch was better? :smiley:
I cant take you serious, why the hell you think all the pros just play their games on the old patch, esspecially the tournaments. The performance broke with the last patch and the hotfix isnt any better than the previous version.

1 Like

since thats not what I said, I will just ignore you. maybe try reading it again otherwise its hard to take you seriously :smiley:

I mean that they are not 100% because surely one would say that I have a bottleneck, which is not the case. I have an I5-7400 and a 1060 and since sometimes the drops are 40fps in some occasions, very common they are 55, it may not be very significant for you, but they are horrible stutters. Definitely something was broken in this patch, because these drops before they happened. And it is not the first time that this error has been made, months ago it happened exactly the same, and they released a hotfix after two weeks, but this still cannot be fixed despite a month. Since the previous hotfix did not fix it.

while I understand there are still people having issues, it’s been mentioned over and over again that multiple variables can affect game and causes lag. most of the time when investigated, issue turn out not to be game related (not saying game didn’t have problem lagging, but definitely less for me and majority people I know after the hotfix).

i5 7400 is a 4c4t CPU with decent enough IPC at 3ghz should have no problem at 200-250 pop with 5-6 players, assuming you are actually running at the proper intel spec, no throttling, and none of the other players (lagger) dragging you down with them.

if you need help we can always test play and try to find out the issue.

1 Like

Dude, I read some of your posts here. Several times someone writes an opposite answer to you, you come up with the stupid excuse “thats not what I said, read it again” bla bla…

Its exactly what you said, either you start being more precice or stop writing so much nonsense here, your destructive reactions are super annoying.

I will tell you a secret: If there are a bunch of people not undertanding your posts (which isnt the case but lets assume it), the problem most likely will be YOU and not the others so stop acting like you are the master professor here.

You are exactly one of those guys you offend yourself lol

its more like people can’t read. if you claim such a thing, quote me and quote yourself and re read it again.

I will tell you a secret as well: i could care less what you think!

boy, you seems to jump to conclusion, maybe you should read my comment properly before replying on something thats totally irrelevant, or dont reply at all or you make yourself look like a boy!

boy, you seem to jump to conclusion yourself. maybe if you re read the whole thing before replying with your ego, you wouldn’t look so childish!

• BUILD #: 4#####

When should the hotfix receive an update? The game was completely destroyed, you absolutely can not play online. And no this is 1000% not due to the setup or the hardware. Have always played to 4, before the update you could play 4 vs. 4 (CPU) with a population of 500. It didn’t run perfectly in the late game, but it ran decently. After the update it doesn’t run at all on all four.You pay for the game & it just gets updated broken.

This has been going on for over a month now and is a bottomless cheek that I have never seen from a game or publisher.

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Play SG or MP, dont matter how many Players or Population
  2. After 40 min (max.) the framerate drops extremely to 1-5 FPS.
  3. After 15-30 min again, the Game is completely not playable. Units do not follow orders or do so only after partial minutes.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

I know the performance is quite bad after the anniversary patch and update, but criticizing devs like this in a forum will only force the devs to close this topic. Which neither of us want. So, try to give constructive criticism else we will be the ones who will lose.

One was nice for weeks to months. This is not a request, this is a service. I paid for a working game, I don’t need free updates that break the game for months. And lose if at all the publisher, because I will never buy from them again and also advise everyone against it.

1 Like

I have a high end 1000 € new PC and get a yellow clock in dark age…come on fix it

1 Like

That has nothing to do with your PC, that’s your connection (or that of other players).
Remember, the game is only as good as the weakest player. If someone is playing on a crap machine it will mess you up too.

1 Like

Nope its due to the current performance issues which are created from the game.

My PC is excellt and so is my connection, I sometimes still get yellow clock right at the start of the game while all other players have a blue icon so its me for sure.

1 Like