[Merged] Overlay Freezes

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: 36906
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: Mantle 117

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

:question: Freezing in multiplayer games

Here is the problem I’m experiencing. 5-10 minutes into almost every 3v3 or 4v4 multiplayer game, my game freezes. I can still interact with units and buildings as if it was not frozen but everything is stuck in place. My teammates report that 1 minute later I resign, however, my game will continue being open in a frozen state until I quit.

I should also point out I usually play with 2 other friends. 1 has been also having this issue ever since the June patch, and I have only begun experiencing this issue since the hotfix.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the steps to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s how to reproduce the issue:

1. Start any 3v3 or 4v4 ranked game with at least 2 other players in your party
  2. Play for 10 minutes

Link to a video of post freeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJW5RuqMY4s

Yo Mantle - I feel you pain. Same thing is repeatedly happening to me.

Hi AOE2 DE Support -

Please respond to issue below; have posted half a dozen times requesting help over past month on forums and have been ignored. See all requested game info/links/files below.

Thanks.
Acme_dynamite

1 Like

June 4 post requesting help (ignored)

June 9 post requesting help (ignored, thread closed)

June 13 request for help - see below; look forward to hearing from MS AOE2 DE support ASAP

• Build: 36906
  • Gamertag on Forums Codered1158
  • Gamertag on Steam acme_dynamite

:question: (1) Ranked MP matching often fails
:question: *(2) Yellow clock beside name despite fast internet, high-end gaming rig
*:question: (3) Freezing in MP ranked then game disconnects me

(1) After entering queue, MP finds a match, enters lobby, fails to match, then re-enters queue, repeats process 0-3 more times, and then MP finally works. 1v1 MP ranked does not have this problem.
(2) Once inside game, yellow clock appears next to my name. My performance, however, and that of other players is unaffected. I experience zero lag. MP ranked game play is smooth, high FPS.
(3) 30-60min into play, game freezes and drops me. This occurs on all ranked MP types (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4); today’s example was 1v1. June 9th example (linked above) was 3v3 or 4v4.

Again, please refer to links above for additional examples, explanation, screenshots, and save files.

:arrow_forward: REQUESTED FILES, USER INFORMATION

• Save on Disconnect click here
  • User Rig Info see links to previous posts
  • Troubleshooting Steps Already Taken implemented all reqs in AOE2 DE game optimization guide, searched forums and implemented steps other gamers had tried (ie, set battery performance to high, turn off/disable anti-virus, tell Win10 not to do stupid ■■■■ like turn off your wireless adapter after 30min, and many other ‘fixes’ — all without success
  • Internet Details 272.4 Mb/s u/d from speedtest today; connect wirelessly via brand new NG Nighthawk AC2600 router; turn off all other devices in household off while gaming (iPad, TV, iPhone, other laptops)

Thank you for promptly and thoroughly reviewing this case.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this same issue happen to enemy players and teammates, mine’s slightly different in that I or the team won’t receive a dc message. My game will be frozen in place until I quit or resign.

Since the last patch it’s still almost completely unplayable for all the drop/freezes. Friends and I started 6 mp games yesterday and only played 1 to completion (2 me freezing, 1 teammate freezing, 2 enemy drop/freeze). Typical since the patch.

Agreed, same thing happening for friends and me since the last patch, and last 2/3 days especially. The fact that the original report happened in Beta and it’s still happening 7 months after full release is laughable, unplayable.

Seems like Brazil server may be the issue, occassionally we (in Aus) get bumped to Brazil server, is there a way to force choose a server?

GAME INFORMATION
Build: June hotfix
Platform: Steam
Operating System: Windows 10

ISSUE
In two of three of my 2v2 ranked games my game would not continue anymore. I could issue commands and click on units and get the normal sound behavior, but it seemed like my timer was just stuck. The game continued on for the other players, they didnt see me drop from the game until i would close out of the menu which was still possible.

REPRODUCTION STEPS
List the steps to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

1. Play ranked 2v2
  2. Encounter time freeze but game not frozen

GAME FILES
Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE of the game where you encountered the issue
Can add if needed

IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

6 Likes

same thing happened to me in a 4v4 ranked tg, the game was played on the Brazil server.

Since Hotfix, After joining, the game freezes/pauses for me at 8-12 mins, or other players disconnected in this time

There are 3 issues -

1. Either me, or another player is stuck at the loading screen forever
  2. After joining, the game freezes for me at 8-12 mins, or other players disconnected in this timeframe
  3. I cannot join the game at all

I ran into the same issue. I thought this was supposed to have been fixed in the hotfix. It’s still there since last week!

I just checked, both freezes happened to me aswell when playing on the Brazil server.

1 Like

The Brazil server seems really problematic, I’ve seen that most people have issues on this server.

1 Like

Happening to me as well and others, game freezes then it force resigns. Happened in 6 out of 7 games today, Game is dead. No devs or support in sight.

2 Likes

Keeps happening again and again… and everytime it’s the Brazil server.
EDIT: I think this can be merged with Overlay Freezes thread.

Same here. Game is now unplayable for the last two months. Shame on the devs!

4 Likes

EDIT: my post has been merged into this thread, sorry if I posted something existing, but when I wrote the post the similar thread suggestions all didn’t match the bug I was describing. The bug is also something totally different that the first post of this thread, but I see it is the same as some of the reactions in this thread.

• Build: 37906 (may patch)
  • Gamertag:

I was just playing a ranked team game (Arena, 3 vs 3) and the game time froze at 10:49. I expected the game to continue within a few seconds with higher speed to catch up, but this time the freeze was indefinite. My internet was fine, I could browse to a website without problem while waiting. After about five minutes I quited the game normally using the options menu, since it was still frozen.

Still working: panning, selecting units and giving commands etc, music, sounds, all menu’s including the options to resign or quit the game.
Not working: chat (I could enter chat commands but they didn’t appear)

So all evidence points to the program running fine, except for progressing the game further.

1. Start a ranked team game.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

Savegame file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DYYfqKOj4SlQobN0IUjH9LXfR2doS01l/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Every time I check too we’ve been shunted to BrazilSouth server. Why in the world are 8 Australians being forced to play on the BrazilSouth server. Please fix this is untenable I’d ask for a refund if I could.

Should add I’m almost positive the BrazilSouth server is the reason this is happening, but why are we there???

3 Likes

Happened again 2/2 games today, fix this!

1 Like

The problem is back. However, this time the BIOS time is correct. My system has connections to all players. Duration of the game 38.57 minutes. Savegame is available but cannot upload it.
Game Information
Build: June hotfix (Version: 101.101.37906.0 5105673)
Platform: Steam
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

• Build: Current build 22 June 2020
  • Gamertag:

:question: Describe the problem in detail (below). Please limit to one issue per thread.

About every 7-8 games or so, my game ‘freezes’. I get no error message and my game remains open. I can still scroll around map in game and click things, but nothing moves. I have to resign, when i do resign the map does not reveal (its as if connection has been lost). However, my internet and wifi never drop. I’ve monitored my wifi and there is no drop in signal. I have 45mbps download speed and 100fps.

I have a suspicion that it is based on what server i connect to. It seems to only happen when the ingame ping (from pressing F11) is around 350ms, it hasn’t happened when i have more local games, but i could be wrong on this, will continue to monitor.

I’ve deactivated all mods and have verified cache files.

I’ve had game since beta and only ever had a single drop until now. This new ‘freeze’ has only started happening since latest build, coincidentally, I have installed a new wifi card during this time, wondering if this could be the issue? (but as mentioned there is no drop in my wifi signal during the freeze).

Here’s how to reproduce the issue:

1. Open AOE
  2. Do ranked game
  3. May freeze 30 seconds in or 20 mins in - kinda random.
3 Likes

Hey Mantle, i have same issue. I too have noticed it is only happening when connected to the higher latency server (350ms which i think is Brazil?). Im aussie too, but it is only affecting me and not my other two aussie friends. Problem is exactly as you and others have described above. Getting worse too, happened in 3/3 games yesterday.