[Merged] Overlay Freezes

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• Build: 101.101.37906.0 5105673
  • Platform: Steam / Microsoft Store
  • Operating System: Windows 10 / Windows 7 / Mac / Linux
  • Gamertag:

:arrow_forward: ISSUE

:question: Describe the problem in detail (below). Please limit to one issue per thread.

Here is the problem I’m experiencing…

Game hangs suddenly, where you can instruct units but just nothing happens anymore. It’s as if you’re disconnected.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the steps to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s how to reproduce the issue:

1. Happens almost randomly, but especially just when you’re about to advance in an age or when your opponent advances (seems to more often happen when I’m the one advancing though)

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE of the game where you encountered the issue.
Save Replay

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a SCREENSHOT, VIDEO, DXDIAG .TXT FILE, or CRASH/GAME LOGS (if relevant).
Video File of Screen
Log

Happened again, directly after previous game.

Save:

Game Version:

• Build: 37906
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • Gamertag: Death Knight / TawnyToaster

Issue:

About four of the my multiplayer team games have ended up being completely stuck. The timer and units aren’t moving. I’ve waited for quite some time (10-15 mins) without any change. My messages don’t seem to be reaching anyone.

Not putting a screenshot as it looks like the regular game.
When I came back, I had lost ELO points

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

Hard to reproduce. Happens randomly for some multiplayer games

ATTACHMENTS:

:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)
:heavy_check_mark: (BONUS: ATTACH A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM HAPPENING)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH YOUR DXDIAG IF YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING A TECHNICAL ISSUE)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH ANY CRASH/GAME LOGS [IF RELEVANT])

1 Like

i’ve seen similar bugs
my internet is working 100% of the time, but the game gets stuck while everyone else continues playing
no message given to me or anyone in the game that i got disconnected or anything

the may update made the multiplayer networking horrendous. so many bugs in lobbies while launching games and disconnects while playing

It happens exactly the same! The game falls, everything is frozen, it does not allow chat, the breaks are discounted but the game does not pause. Are the other players still playing? My internet is good my pc has a 6 core processor, 16gb ram memory and nvidia gtx1060 6gb

Happens 100% of the time we’re on the Brazil server, which for some reason is almost 50% of all matches we play. Terrific game

As far as I know AOE2:DE only runs on one core. In 2020 this is a real shame (almost all university projects of students nowadays run on multiple cores…). So more cores dont buy you anything. Single core performance is something nobody looks at when buying a gaming engine, because either you play an old game -> singlecore performance of a modern multicore processor will be high enough; or you play a modern game -> multiple cores are supported.

At least 1 time a day, the game is stopped, as if it were buggy, but it never resumes, I try to write to the other players and no one responds, that is, it takes me out of the game.
Lately it happens more often, before this did not happen.

2 Likes

omg this is so fin annoying we were playing 4v4 and it was such a good match we are equally matched one of most beautify game and then out of on were my game freezes everyone else is playing… please fix this man its so frustrating… i think they are stealing system information in the background which is causing this crash

On the brazil server too???

Always getting shunted to the worst possible server and having the same thing happen to me. How they haven’t fixed this yet is beyond me

Hey all, I’ve managed to fix the issue (i think), was a last resort, but using a VPN seems to have fixed the issue, no drops on Brazillian servers since I’ve been using it.

I downloaded and use Betternet (free version) and just open it before i play and close after. Not ideal, but it seems to work so far.

Let me know how you go.

Just connecting via the VPN? did you have to select a specific location

For Betternet, i just open it and click connect. I dont choose server. Im using free version, so limited to 500mb or similar per day, but that seems to work fine for aoe if you turn it off after playing.

I assume other VPNs might work too (I found this solution in other thread to a similar issue - it was my last resort).

Ran into similar issues at least 5 times since the May patch, to the point that I don’t even play the game regularly anymore in fear that I’ll lose elo in botched ranked games. Can we get any info from the devs on whether we’ll be getting a fix in this month’s patch or is a map pool change all we’re getting?

2 Likes

i feel like this topic includes 2 different issues:

the original one is where the UI froze but the game itself worked and you could still keep moving your units and build stuff (as long as you know your hotkeys :wink: )

the one that came up now was the whole game freezing while playing (mostly on brazilian server (that for some reason seems to be used for way more games than it should be, considering that europeans and australians seem to experience the same thing with having about 50% of the games on that bad server - but that could be discussed about in another topic)) For this issue i opened a new topic here - Dropping when playing on brazilian server. So to make things clear i think we might want to move the discussion (and all the bug reports) there.

Doesn’t bother me where or how many times I post it as long as it gets fixed

Yesterday, similar happened three times in row after 20-40 minutes game play. Every time we played ranked against other opponents and every time one of the players was freezed. Once, my friend freezed and after he killed the age of empires process and we (teammates) resigned the game continued because the freezed player was in the game according to the DE (however he closed the progrem minutes before).

1 Like

just happened to my teammate again, we were playing in US West.

the problem seems to be is his weak laptop.

My problems haven´t changed yet and the VPN trick didnt work. Games that didn´t run over the server in Brasil yust froze, too. The problem just arrived when my CPU was heavily overclocked.

Might be a different cause of the same issue then.
I know for a fact my CPU wasn’t overclocked. Of my 3 friends I have the more powerful PC but the issue happens to me 90% of the time.

2 Likes