New Civ concept: the Venetians

Bonuses:

• Docks are built 100% faster, and work 10/20/30/40% faster
  • Starts with +150 wood (so 350w in total)
  • Archery range units move 5/10/15% faster in feudal/castle/imp
  • Trade units have double the HP and they also generates food (at half the rate of gold)

TB:

• Docks provides 5 pop

UTs:

• Arsenal - Docks and siege workshops works 40% faster
  • Fante de mar - Archer line and infantry UU (either the castle UU or the condo) get +1 attack

So this is a built based only around a strong early feudal archers. Basically you substitute the extra gold with extra wood, which is a bit more flexible in the early game.

The extra starting wood represents the foundation of Venice. Basically to build in those marshlands they planted a ton of logs in the terrain, some of those logs cemented and are still present nowadays.*

The gold bonus and uni bonus is finally substitute by a trading bonus, as many people asked before.

The trade generating food is based on the prosperous spice trade upon Venice built its trade empire.

I was reluctant to give them a bonus that could be used only in TGs, but if the civ is solid in 1v1 with the other bonuses, I don’t see the harm.

At the start, I thought of other variant of this bonus, I’ll link them down here:

• Trade also generate stone (I felt it a bit weaker, and didn’t had a strong historic argument for it)
  • Trade also generate wood (too strong, with farms, it allows infinite resources and too much turtling)
  • Trade units takes only half pop (again, too strong)

What do you guys think? Do you like the new trade bonus? Do you think that one of the variants were better than the one I pick?

Also, I checked some pools that I made some months ago, and it came up that people prefer a infantry UU instead of a cav UU.

So I’ll try to design, and then post, the concept of a new infantry UU, that may substitute or not the cav UU. Then we can compare the 2 UU, and see the one that better fit the venetians.

I’ll of course also post the changes to the tech tree that an infantry UU may bring.

2 Likes