Please don't make maps smaller besides for ranked matches

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

When I remember correctly I heard during a twitch stream that the developers consider making maps smaller.

Please don’t do that. I think the maps are not too big. I often play all versus all with 7 other players and I think the maps are rather small.

I heard competitive players saying the maps are too big. So my suggestion is: Only decrease map sizes for ranked matches and leave it as it is for custom games. Alternatively they could also be an additional option for small or big maps. But please let the maps as big as they are for those who prefer not too small maps.

Kind regards

2 Likes

4v4 maps are HUGE. Not saying its an issue really but to get to the other end of the map takes forever.
Mabe a small reduction on 4v4 and 3v3 maps.
Right now you have to build a new base next to where you want to attack or your dead.

1 Like

Yeah 4v4 needs to be smaller, way to skewed toward Calvary. Plus for newer players its a tough since protecting your allies from a double or triple team can be difficult to make it over.

Also, way too many resources. Getting bounty with rus for example is a gaurentee.

I think they should make a small reduction for 2v2, a big one for 3v3 and a massive one for 4v4.

2 Likes

I understand the OP perspective that for 8 player FFA the maps could be even bigger. But for teamgames the situation is different. 4v4 maps are quite gigantic and I think those could really use some downsizing, as the size makes it really hard to apply any early pressure and makes turtling and booming too easy. I think 3v3 maps could also be a bit smaller and 1v1 and 2v2 are fine.
So to make everyone happy 6p and 8p team maps could be made smaller and a new ‘enormous’ size option could be introduced for 8p FFA?

3 Likes

I think there should be different sizes of maps to choose from as @CleanNotClear mentioned.

In AOE2 there are much bigger maps than in AOE4. This makes it possible to mod entire continents (Europe for example) and other interesting mods such as Games of Thrones.

Therefore I think it should not be the goal to ban large maps. Instead there should be more options to choose from. From tiny to gigantic. That way all players are catered for.

In older AOE4 forum posts there were many players who didn’t want smaller maps. Actually many of them wanted bigger maps like in AOE2. Here are the links to some of the said forum posts:

My conclusion: If the maps are made smaller, one part of the players is happy and the other unhappy. Therefore everyone should have the choice to play maps ranging in size from tiny to gigantic.

1 Like

Just copy current Maps into custom. and you can play whatever size you want.

with redactor where are a lot of new maps and new options.

I think we are saying the same thing, for competitive team play, the maps should be smaller, for custom games or FFA. Larger maps make sense.

3 Likes

Yes for ranked games the maps can be smaller and for custom games they should add larger maps :slight_smile:

1 Like

completly agree , i like those current maps , who likes arena box maps?!

1 Like

i dont have a problem if they only do this on competitive or mp , leave single players alone with their big maps haha

1 Like

In my experience, the issue is that current map size extremely favors coordinated rushing, almost without a counterplay. From team mate noticing / asking for help, until reinforcement arrives, he is long dead… Other than that, I think it’s better to have a large playground. :smiley:

1 Like