ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

Sapsan updated house. Still making some slight adjustments to texture stones surrounding buildings, adding more textures to plants etc. However I think this is 99% done…

This first building was a prototype of doing custom model for buildings. All other buildings in mod today have been ported over from AoE or copy and paste. I tried before with another Artist but was unable to get a good match. Sapsan has been such an amazing resource for units. Excited to potentially have his talents at work for new buildings going forward :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice, and by the way, if the game doesn’t auto generate the civ tags, they should probably be the following:

• Roman Empire: Infantry and Defensive Civilization
  • Roman Republic: Infantry Civilization
  • Greeks: Infantry and Foot Archer Civilization
  • Parthians: Cavalry Archer Civilization
  • Egyptians: Pick two of the following: Monk, Infantry, Defensive, Cavalry, they can all be applicable. Maybe Infantry and Cavalry?
  • Goths: Infantry Civilization
  • Celts/Gauls: Infantry and Siege Civilization
  • Huns: Cavalry Civilization
2 Likes

House in game testing for comparison. Tile size may need to be slightly increased to match other houses I think…

Updated version below with minor adjustments. I think this is the final version.

4 Likes

Just a quick question, what are the actual Roman Wonders? As in, what are they called, and do the Empire and Republic use the same wonder?

So currently both get Greek Govt building upgraded version from AoE as their official wonder. I also enable other monuments to be built though including Arch of a Constantine renamed Arch of Septimus and Colosseum from Scenario editor.

Temple of Venus and Mars is also available as Scenario editor building replacing Cathedral.

I have created other buildings that currently lack destruction animations, Bascilica Aemilia, Temple of Concord, Curia Julia, and Temple of Vespasian. These have smaller footprints but were created for Scenario Editor to recreate Imperial Roman Forum. They are not complete or final though and none are in the mod currently except Aemilia which replaced Feitoria.

Many are pictured here:

1 Like

Yeah, I get that, but what are the actual Roman wonders called?

1 Like

@TheConqueror753 Wonders are not named in the game as far as I know. They are sometimes mentioned in Scenarios via dialogue or objectives, otherwise I think they are just identified in the UI as either Monument in scenario editor (non-destructible) or Wonder in game play.

I know, but you designed the wonders used by the Romans, correct? So my question is, what are the buildings that inspired the wonders actually called? I know the in game wonders don’t have names, but they would have been designed based on something that did.

93e9640059f1cedcabc2794a64bb2baf--the-romans-whats-the

3 Likes

And then which ones did you pick as wonders to use?

1 Like

None, haha. I used the Greek Government Building from AOE.

I had considered using one of my custom buildings, and still may…
I think each building I do gets a little better, so I may choose one of these concepts, and perfect it for their actual Wonder.

2 Likes

In terms of balancing, I’m already working on another version, that I think you will appreciate if you plan to add more civs, but I do have a few tweaks that I think should probably happen to the list you are currently using, just because I’ve thought about it a bit more.

• The Praetorian Cavalry training time needs to change from 28 seconds to 24 seconds. I forgot it was a castle unit, so it needs to be easier to train.
  • I have a typo with the Praetorian Cavalry armor, it should be 8 cavalry armor, not 5.
  • I think Pax Romana should change to make villagers and trade units take up 0.75 population space. It’s a simpler effect, but could be more useful, and it’s inspired by the new DLC unique tech. The cost needs to increase to 500F 300G though.
  • Praetorian Guard cost needs to change to 70F 50G, with a 19 second train time, again because it is a castle unit.
  • Roman Republic should not have Bracer, to make their archers more interesting, with the extra armor, but less range and attack.
  • Egyptian civ tags should be Infantry and Defensive.

Just a few tweaks to make stuff better, I’m working on a lot more right now, hence all the questions about the wonder and stuff.

1 Like

Here are some of the more balanced UUs I’ve been working on, the top line for each is the description. Just the Roman stuff for now.

• Praetorian Cavalry:
    • Roman unique unit. Heavily armored cavalry, with a slight bonus against cavalry.
    • Costs 110F, 70G, with a 24 second training time.
    • It has 110 HP, 13 attack, 2/1 armor, with 8 cavalry armor (So it reduces anti-cavalry damage by 8)
    • It has +3 against other cavalry.
    • It has 5 line of sight, and 1.35 speed, keep the rate of fire as what you have.
    • Elite Praetorian Cavalry costs 1200F, 900G, and takes 30 seconds to research.
    • Elite Praetorian Cavalry has 130 HP, 15 attack, and 3/1 armor, all other stats are the same.
    • Elite upgrade reduces the train time from 24 seconds to 21 seconds.
  • Praetorian Guard:
    • Roman unique unit. Heavily armored infantry, good in melee combat.
    • Praetorian Guard is the standard Castle UU. It costs 70F and 50G, with a 19 second training time.
    • It has 70 HP, 12 attack, 2/1 armor, with 5 infantry armor (So it reduces anti infantry damage by 5).
    • It has +4 attack against buildings, and +2 against cavalry.
    • It has a speed of 0.85, and 6 line of sight, keep the rate of fire with what you have.
    • Elite Praetorian Guard costs 900F, 600G, and takes 50 seconds to research.
    • Elite Praetorian Guard has 90 HP, 14 attack, 2/2 armor, all other stats are the same as the regular version. Train time decreases to 16 seconds.
  • Legionary:
    • Roman unique unit. Armored infantry, with both a ranged and melee attack.
    • Legionary available at the barracks in Castle Age without needing a tech or Castle.
    • Legionary cost and train time remain the same (60F, 30G, 20 seconds).
    • Legionary in melee form has 60 HP, 10 attack, and 1/1 armor.
    • Legionary in ranged form has 60 HP, 5 attack, 4 range, and 1/1 armor. The damage type is ranged, and it is affected by blacksmith archer attack upgrades.
    • Elite Legionary costs 750F, 400G, and takes 30 seconds to research.
    • Elite Legionary in Melee form has 80 HP, 12 attack, and 1/2 armor.
    • Elite Legionary in ranged form has 80 HP, 6 attack, 4 range, and 1/2 armor. The damage type is ranged, and it is affected by blacksmith archer attack upgrades.
  • The armor classes for both forms, and upgrade versions are Infantry and Unique Unit, and it is affected by Infantry armor upgrades.

@rjgt3838, I’ve updated the Legionary a bit more, to account for how the form can switch. Also, what are the attack speeds for all the current unique units? I want to include it in my list being developed, just for the sake of completeness.

1 Like

I got the Legionary mechanic to switch between Ranged and Melee! Works awesome. So happy they implemented this is game :stuck_out_tongue:

I think we should change HP since death is no longer necessary for unit to switch to Sword version.

2 Likes

Ok, Legionary has 60 HP, Elite has 80 HP. I’ve updated the description as well.

1 Like

Are you interested in adding more civs in the future? I’m currently developing tech trees and stuff for 21 civs, including the ones that already exist. I split Greeks into Athenians and Spartans, so technically 14 new civs, as well as reworks to the current civs. How does that sound? Most of them require new units/buildings though, so it would take a while to make.

1 Like

Yes, I like that idea. Having the civs fully fleshed out will help guide what graphics we need to make/prioritize. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, cool. I’ll give the list of civs I’m planning as as sort of a teaser I guess :smile:. Right now, I’m working on the following civs:

• Arabs
  • Athenians
  • Britons
  • Carthaginians
  • Dacians
  • Egyptians
  • Franks
  • Gauls
  • Germani
  • Goths
  • Huns
  • Iberians
  • Judeans
  • Macedonians
  • Nubians
  • Parthians
  • Persians
  • Phoenicians
  • Roman Empire
  • Roman Republic
  • Spartans
  • Thracians

Almost all of them have unique units, most have at least 1 unique tech currently, and some of them have wonder suggestions.

1 Like

One thing that would definitely help I think is keeping civilization that can share similar architecture set under an unmbrella civilization set similar to how Italians and Byzantines were under Medi set and I created Roman Republic and Empire civs.

In terms of that, I think variants need to be created for some things, such as how you have the Barbarian architecture sets. In terms of the civs, I’ll list what I’m thinking for architecture currently:

• Arabs: Middle Eastern, with the houses replaced by tents.
  • Athenians: Greek.
  • Britons: Western European Barbarian, with Feudal buildings.
  • Carthaginians: Roman.
  • Dacians: Greek Barbarian, with the houses replaced by Yurts.
  • Egyptians: Egyptian.
  • Franks: Western European Barbarian, with Feudal buildings.
  • Gauls: Western European Barbarian, with Feudal buildings.
  • Germani: Central European Barbarian, with Feudal buildings.
  • Goths: Central European Barbarian, with Feudal buildings.
  • Huns: Nomadic Barbarian. A new set, using the burned buildings from the scenario editor, and a smaller Cuman wonder for the Castle.
  • Iberians: Probably Western European Barbarian, with Feudal buildings.
  • Judeans: Babylonian, like the Parthians.
  • Macedonians: Greek.
  • Nubians: Egyptian.
  • Parthians: Babylonian.
  • Persians: Babylonian.
  • Phoenicians: Greek.
  • Roman Empire: Roman.
  • Roman Republic: Roman.
  • Spartans: Greek.
  • Thracians: Greek Barbarian, with the houses replaced by Yurts.

In total, this gives the following sets, ranked by most used to least used, and what architecture they can replace, if you can’t just assign individual architecture to each civ:

• Greek, used 4 times. Could replace East Asian.
  • Western European Barbarian, used 4 times. Replaces Western European.
  • Babylonian, used 3 times. Replaces South East Asian.
  • Roman, used 3 times. Replaces Mediterranean.
  • Greek Barbarian, used 2 times. Replaces Central Asian.
  • Egyptian, used 2 times. Replaces Mesoamerican.
  • Central European Barbarian, used 2 times. Replaces Central European.
  • Nomadic Barbarian, used 1 time. Replaces Eastern European.
  • Middle Eastern variant, used 1 time. Replaces Middle Eastern.
1 Like