ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

I am in the process of rebuilding DAT file, want to make decisions about unit appearances for the current civs. Anything here you would recommend besides UU using existing maybe existing game graphics?

Roman Empire should use a smaller coliseum as their wonder, or maybe the Amphitheatre. Other than that, for now, just compile what you have with the balance changes Iā€™ve currently got, it will take me a while before I can finish developing the new civs and further changes to the old ones, so it definitely wonā€™t make it into this update. Also, what are the attack speeds for all of the unique units you have created? I donā€™t care about the Spartan warrior, itā€™s been phased out of my list of civs.

1 Like

Isnā€™t there already a coliseum in the game? Canā€™t you just use it?

1 Like

I know, thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. Use the Current coliseum for the Roman Empire, so that it doesnā€™t have to use the same wonder as the Republic.

1 Like

Update on Roman House - Destruction Animation progress.
Sapsan is doing a fantastic job here, excited to see the final results in game :stuck_out_tongue:

house_destr---smaller

Continue to make progress on DAT mod.
Roman civs are complete working through balancing adjustments of remaining civs and hope to have an update out ASAP. Very excited about the switch weapon logic for Legionary, this is really cool gameplay mechanic.

Thanks!

7 Likes

oh wow, this looks amazing and natrual. cant wait mang

1 Like

Thanks! I really love the results here. I also hope we can add more of these custom buildings with animations in the future. Will see how doable this is. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is quite important, but I canā€™t check right now. Have you reskinned the cannon galleon to look like the Juggernaut? It is needed for water to be balanced, and the cannon galleon wonā€™t work. Just checking, because I need to be able to account for that when working on the civ design.

For the mod I thought we would limit some technologies units since they donā€™t make sense for period and I lack skins to replace the units.

Chemistry which should eliminate all gun powder units
Crossbows/Arbalest
Trebuchet

I also am thinking we should do away with scout cavalry upgrades; winged hussars just donā€™t look right in game :wink:

Alternatively, we could repurpose these technologies, find suitable replacement skins, or eventually create new ones I suppose.

Also where can I find this Juggernaut skin?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just rename the techs eg. chemistry to Greek fire etc.

If you lack skins just use the same skin over and over.aoe1 did it with many units.

1 Like

Not a good idea I donā€™t think. It removes several key units, and makes the civs a lot less distinctive. I think leave them as they are, and maybe do reskins slowly for something like the Hussar, to make it fit better. These units are badly needed to make the civs feel unique and balanced, so removing them basically prevents any possibility of having a balanced game. Worrying about creating the civs with UUs and buildings is more important right now, but reskinning the hussar and stuff is probably worth coming back to, just donā€™t remove it. Like, I canā€™t stress how badly this breaks balance, and would quite literally screw over all my current civ design. With trebs, thatā€™s a hard one. They donā€™t really fit, but they are kind of needed for siege, or defensive play will become way to strong. We already removed Bombard cannon, so a long range siege weapon is needed, and the onager line wonā€™t work. Keep it in for now, and try and think of something we can do about this. Chemistry may not even need a rename, itā€™s still the same thing, even if the ancient peoples didnā€™t know what they were actually using. BBCs, BBTs and HCs have all been removed, the only gunpowder unit left is the Cannon Galleon, which needs the AoE1 Juggernaut instead. Otherwise itā€™s impossible to destroy castles from the shoreline.

Basically, make a choice: Delete these techs and stuff for historical realism, but I will have restart my civ list and may abandon it, or just keep them, and maybe do slow reskins. While Iā€™m on the topic of my civ list, Iā€™ve renamed Arabs to Berbers, because I feel they will be closer to the current Berbers in a lot of ways, although not identical.

1 Like

I will keep the techs, rename, and reskin. The Juggernaut from AOE is just the same reskin as the catapult Trireme. Not sure this will look all that good for a long siege weapon. :thinking:

Perhaps I can replace Trebuchet with large Onager from AOE or something.

May use Archer from AOE 2 as most advanced version and put in AOE archers as earlier versions

I replaced cannon galleon with Catapult Trireme (Juggernaut) and replaced projectile with trebuchet projectile. It works well!

I will do AoE catapult at 70% size with trebuchet projectile to replace trebuchet. Itā€™s significantly larger than trebuchet and catapult so fits nicely as an advanced siege weapon I think.

1 Like

Ok, nice. Iā€™m glad you havenā€™t scrapped the techs, because then I would just quit what Iā€™m doing. The Catapult Trireme/Juggernaut is good, I will include that in my list, with those names. For the archers, I was thinking, maybe have archer as the lowest level, then composite bowman or something, and then maybe crossbowman. Crossbowman was used later in time, so I think that could fit.

1 Like

The hand cannoneer can be replaced with the xbow.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually a really good idea, so Iā€™ll factor that in. I guess the main archer line is going to become the Bowman, Improved Bowman, Composite Bowman then, or maybe Bowman, Composite Bowman, Longbowman, and then Crossbow can become the HC replacement. I think it still needs to be locked behind chemistry though, for balance. @rjgt3838, if you decide on the names you want to use, Iā€™ll include that in my list, although it still needs lots of work.

1 Like

The bombard also needs to be replaced so maybe replace that with a ballista and rename chemistry to something fitting for both xbow and balista?

Like Fire Arrows. Do we really need BBC though? We could try without it.

If itā€™s removed entirely it would be easier to rename the tech.How about the petard is it also removed?

Totally forgot about the petard, it should definitely be removed, it isnā€™t like it will actually change anything really.