[Suggestion] Sling resources through chat

Can we please add an icon next to the taunts 3(Food please.), 4(Wood please.), 5(Gold please.), 6(Stone please.) & 38(Give me your extra resources.). If you click the icon, 100 resources of that type get sent to the player who requested them.
It should look something like this.
quick sling

(All 4 icons should show up next to 38 Taunt.)

This will reduce the hassle of finding the player in the diplomacy menu and then sending resources.

16 Likes

I initially thought that your idea was to be able to use a simple code to send resources through the chat option. Like, writing the number of the player (1-8), space, XXX resources (food, wood, gold or stone). but your idea also sounds interesting. It could save a few precious moments!

6 Likes

Very good idea.

Key issue is finding the right player in the market send-menu. This would solve it.

1 Like

I would prefer to go to the tribute menu instead of that.

In my last game, I accidentally sent 500 gold to the wrong player, we almost lost the match but won in the end.
I feel this will simplify the process.

One more idea, I just came up with: since the majority of people already have a hotkey for the market, there could a button in its menu, which allows you to switch modes. Instead of using the market for buying/selling, it could be the building for resource exchange with other players. This way we remove the unpleasant tasks of clicking the diplomacy button and keep our attention in the game.
Problem is how to configure easily which player do we send resources with minimum clicking in the market. If this couldn’t be designed intelligently, then we will stick to the original way of sending resources. My suggestion looks like this:
mrkrmkrm
The yellow button will be for activating/deactivating this proposed mode and the green button will be for switching between allies. In the majority of team games you have no more than 3 allies, so at most 3 clicks will take you to the person in question.
The original idea of @CoffeeKitten305 is much more simpler! :wink:

1 Like

I also thought about that, but I feel it will crowd the box even more. It could definitely get crowded in 4v4 or if the ally has long username.

Glad you liked my idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a very interesting idea. I do think that there could be great potential here for a very useful quality of life improvement. However, I think that I like FlorianOpel’s implementation slightly better.

I think adding buttons onto the chat would cause a whole host of problems (miss-clicks, cluttered screen, not to mentioned a dev implementation nightmare, etc.). I think instead being able to chat resources to an ally (if a market is built of course) using the convention above would be better.

That being said, I think there will be a slight advantage to those who are able to type faster and who remember the syntax; but I think this learning curve would be a similar situation to learning the game hotkeys for the first time.

1 Like

To avoid miss clicks, maybe you have to double click to sling. Or have the Chat show up with a distinct background, so that you don’t click on the button accidentally.
As the buttons would appear only when someone asks for the resources, I don’t feel tge screen would get cluttered.

Great potential for a QoL improvement somehow here. Nice!

When I read the headline, though, I also thought like @FlorianOpel where it would be typed in. Indeed, it would be quicker/easier, imo, to just type something like:

• “@4 500g”
  • “@2 100w”
  • “@1 147s”

Or even stack them up in one message for a player:

• “@4 500g, 300w, 1000f, 200s”

Or even multiple players in one chat message:

• “@1 200g, 200w, @3 100g, 100w, @2 400g, 2200f”

Something like that; some sort of trigger to designate the recipient(s). I don’t know if “@” could be used, but there must be some symbol we could use.

Auto-generated confirmation messages would be like this in response to each chat message, with proper player coloring for the names:

• CoffeeKitten305 received: 500 Gold
  • FlorianOpel received: 100 Wood
  • PauInternet received: 147 Stone

Or for the multiple resources sent:

• CoffeeKitten305 received: 500 Gold, 300 Wood, 1000 Food, 200 Stone

Or, alternative wording for the above, as another quick example:

• You sent CoffeeKitten305: 500 Gold
  • You sent FlorianOpel: 100 Wood, 200 Gold, 500 Food

Also, FlorianOpel’s right. If chats scroll by very quickly because of a lot of things are going on, it’ll be like a game of whack-a-mole trying to click the correct icons/buttons if CoffeeKitten305’s method is implemented; and also likely resulting in a lot of mis-clicks. This is why I think a chat command style like above would work a lot better and be easier to use.

FlorianOpel is also onto something with their proposal for the Market building’s UI. That could be a nice alternative to the chat message option for people who are more visual and maybe less technical; if an intuitive design could be figured out.

In summary, clicking the Diplomacy button and all that is an antiquated approach to sending resources. The experience is so cumbersome, where it takes you out of the game while others get to keep playing, that it’s something I rarely do and usually only begrudgingly do. Making the experience more streamlined like the above would make it funner and I’d be a lot more apt to do it.

EDIT: Maybe the chat thing can already be done with DE and I just didn’t know or forgot?

3 Likes

I like what you are proposing here.
If my Green ally asked food in the chat, and my Yellow Ally sent him some, would that show up as well?
(Sometimes the player asking receives way more resources than required)

2 Likes

For sure… good point. Allies should, arguably, see what other allies are sending/receiving, imo. I don’t know that this is done currently in the game when donations are given, though, is it? If not, it’s a good topic for discussion.

For example, I think it may be good to show the 3rd party ally not involved in the donation to see something like this:

• FlorianOpel sent CoffeeKitten305: 250 Gold, 200 Wood, and 1000 stone

Something like that. I think that would be perfectly resonable to show to allies not involved in the transaction :slight_smile:

PS: In the auto-generated confirmation notifications, I think it’d be great to show icons for Gold, Wood, Stone and Food instead of spelling them out. Quicker/easier identification; is more visual that way.

2 Likes

Brilliant idea.

To take tone step further the button should remain somewhere on the UI for a period after the initial request so you can still tribute at a later time if you couldn’t do so right away. Maybe add in a feature where the requesting player can then cancel the request after it is no longer needed.

1 Like

Good idea!
All the suggestions are making me think, this needs its own dialogue box separate from chat.

How about you click on a resource on the stockpile, it brings up a menu with
[send 100] to Ally1
[send 100] to Ally2
[send everything] to Ally 1
[send everything] to Ally 2

Requests could be done the same way.
The resource flashes once a request is received.

4 Likes

This is also a good idea and would make good use of a part of the UI that the player otherwise has little interaction with minimising any chance of misclicks and confusion.

2 Likes

This could work too!
Great suggestion.

One thing came to my mind as I was scrolling through the discussion here. The main idea was to make this function of fast slinging available after a chat message appears. However, many people play using voice chat and there is no written communication. I think that the fast-sling method should be somehow independent on what goes on the screen and be more like a generally faster way of clicking the resources and directing them to an ally.
A quote from @Paulnternet

Using the resource bar is going in this direction and is more universal. I am starting to like it more and more. It is too obvious, not to consider it.

1 Like

You could incorporate both to be honest. That way you have one way of quickly responding to an immediate request without too much mocking about and the other method to tribute for other times in the game, like when you are regularly slinging or something.

1 Like

Bumping this because we all needs this!

2 Likes

Agreed! I’m cross-linking this other thread because it’s related and mentions a UI mod that’s in AoE3 as an example they liked…

I’d far prefer a dev-implemented solution, and hope it’s being worked on :wink: (crossing fingers)

2 Likes