The Alt+F4 Multiplayer Problem

It would be fun, any alt+f4 move to the new hidden queue.
Everyone would search normal time… And they(alt+f4) would alt+f4 forever between themselves 11

Im genius.

PS like Dota2 with low priority toxic queue.

2 Likes

The premise of ranked is foremost to be competitive. That people turned it into the ‘fun only zone’ is because the lobby system isnt working properly (e.g. they should display non-ranked ratings for team balancing purposes). Obviously playing ranked should still be fun but the fun there oughtta come from improving your skill on playing a variety of maps against your peers - not just playing the same map to infinity. Not only does that distort your elo as much as civ win rates are distorted by their arabia component, it also missed the point of ranked matchmaking. This is what the lobby system ought to be used for - instead of trying to make ranked conform to what you want it to be and if that doesnt work you (not saying you specifically, general ‘you’) simply alt-f4 to force your will.

Ranked has always been a compromise but alt-f4ers unilaterally decide for their own interests alone and that means they will always be selfish in doing so

1 Like

I mean… even ranked should be fun to some degree. If it’s not fun what-so-ever then what exactly would be the appeal of it?

I agree. I am very much against playing the same map over and over! But people curse me out if I occasionally ALT+F4 a game instead because I dont want to play Arabia literally 9 times in a row

The other thing about lobby is that currently it is not a viable alternative. It would be very difficult for me to find someone at my elo there . I could use a smurf with no or low elo, but then I’d literally be noob-stomping which I do not want to do

I understand the frustration; i dont like playing only arabia either - especially right now with what they did to it. That’s why i learnt a while ago that i had to ban arabia to play things like megarandom or land nomad, and accept the longer queue times. It’s only then that you really see how much people tend to alt-f4 nowadays. That’s the main reason I never used alt-f4 because i felt that if i do so then someone on the other end will get frustrated and might start doing it himself, and if everyone alt-f4s nobody plays any game anymore. I guess it’s too late for that now, since it’s so widespread now…

I agree though that while I dont think alt-f4ing as a practice should be condoned, the devs cant ignore the issues raised by people who feel forced to do so - for one, improving the lobby.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t mind playing on any map. I just don’t want to play 10 of the same map in a row

2 Likes

Would be good to address this with an ELO average across the maps. E.g. if your Arabia ELO is 1300 but you are 1100 on Arena, it averages out to 1200 or something. This would stop the inflation, accurately display people’s real ratings for each map and encourage people to play more maps to increase their overall ELO.

1 Like

I will share an experience from yesterday, i am not playing that much so one of my nicks have been punished by the elo decay on tg, like -200 points by pure decay in like one month or so, i joined to a solo random queue, after 2 mins i got a game, just by curiosity i browse the elo of my rdm allies and both of them are +200 points below my elo, so i at that point the real difference btw them and me is like 400-500 points on that nick, the map is megarandom(i had banned northern islands), so i say in the chat “i hope someone one alt f4 this thing”, clearly i was hoping for it to fail cause i am not going to have fun with such low team mates in a boring and long megarandom, but no one did so the game started and immediately i recognized the map from previous experiences and i said “sorry guys but i am not playing this”, it was a nomad start with a socotra like map with no more than 2 piles of gold per player, so yeah the game was going to be quite boring and long, so i resigned after 1 minute.

In the chat discussion one my allies said “I hope they punish harder the alt f4” that is why i brought this here, what i did wasn’t alt f4, i just resigned in advance and if they plan to implement time bans i guess most people will do that cause further actions will hurt others on their points, in that particular case an alt f4 would have been better for all players involved, seriously +500 elo range difference is just too much to be fair or fun.

I closed the game, changed to my main nick with higher rank just to face one of those 3800 guys stacking with their 2k 1x1friends using new nicks to boost their ranks, so yikes that’s how a game session ends abruptly by the current system we have.

1 Like

i think they know what you did and that it was wrong

wiich is basicly a desciption of you cherry picking a reason to grief the game and ruin the fun for others Like grow up man many times matches arent like you expect them i mean you discriminate people for their elo but dont know how they play and grief a game because the “oh i know this variant” reason instead of seeing if it gonna be different

you should really be permabanned

1 Like

Relying on a frivolous technicality isn’t going to help your case here. Alt-f4 need not refer to merely using alt-f4 but really any method to get out from matchmaking, be it pulling the internet or closing your computer. Alt-f4 is simply the most convenient option to do this, which is why it has become the catch-all term for this behavior.

Resigning one minute into the game is arguably worse since you get people’s hopes up that theyll get to play, and then you resign. It is essentially the same as alt-f4ing, save that now you leave your team in an awful situation - forcing them to play the ‘bad game’ you wanted to avoid for yourself.

If you expect people to play the maps you want to play, the least you can do is play theirs too.

i don’t understand why we can’t get a queue without any alt+f4 people in it

let the timewasters play in the alt+f4 queue. add a queue for aoe2 players who don’t care about dodging and all that nonsense

make it 1 map pack (eg. like full random or blind random). no civs. no positions. just play the actual strategy game without any settings or bickering. if you can’t handle it, go play in the other queue

2 Likes

The issue with your suggestion is that I would not be surprised if the majority of players did go to the “other queue”. Judging by the popularity of MegaRandom or the number of players that select random civ, it seems that players with your characteristics would end up being left behind to fend for themselves on a side queue.

we played aoe2 for multiple decades where random civ was extremely popular

i have no problem if the map pickers / civ pickers / setting pickers / position pickers just stick to the other queue. if there more of them, i don’t care. if there are less of them, i don’t care. popularity makes no difference to me.

it shouldn’t be hard to have a queue for non-picky people who just want to play age of empires without having their time wasted. a lot of us have been playing since zone. we don’t care about what civ or position or map it is, as long as it resembles the Ensemble Studios game we have purchased multiple times.

this dumbed-down ladder where people just see the map ahead of time and dodge what they don’t like and then just play mirror matches of the perfect civs in the perfect positions is not real aoe2. it’s fine if people want to play that way, but there should be a queue for the actual RM players to play the actual game

Hey everybody listen someone is trying to mislead the words of others and attack him of racism or discrimination, what pity way of calling for attention.

What i did was wrong, but what the system did in the first place was pushing me to do that, so that was a bad action after another, if they devs would want a system that works then they wouldn’t force +500 elo difference in the MM, you have to embrace those facts before asking for perma bans, no one is forcing anyone to play unfair matches, you are free to leave, unless such behavior is done to manipulate the ladder to lower your rank, i see you have never had some kind of authority or as an intermediate to fix issues, you lack of empathy and common sense, my comment wasn’t really on the map it was about the big disparity, the map just made it worse.

2 Likes

My case wasn’t a case it was just a random example of the things we have to deal everyday, i did not avoid the map, i just resigned cause everything was pushing me to do so, there was no logical reason to me to stay other than playing and carrying lower players just to be friendly, sorry but i am not doing that with my time.

Such elo difference shouldn’t happen within 2 mins of waiting, that is something you and the other guy didn’t understand, we were picked by my rank being the closest to the opponents, probably they were friends and waited for 8 mins so we were randomly chosen cause of the waiting preference, i didn’t think it was necessary but the difference btw the enemy and my random allies was 700 points, i had the stream overlay to see the ranks of everyone when game is starting so meh.

I don’t expect to play my maps when i join to solo queue i just expect to find a decent game before calling the day.

This doesnt just concern ‘your time’ and ‘your fun’. That’s what single player is for. That is what private lobbies are for. It’s what unranked is/should be for. The moment you queue a ranked game, you depend on someone else to play you to make a game possible. Therefore, it equally concerns their ‘time’ and their ‘fun’ - as much as yours.

But you just don’t think about that. It’s what I have called self-centered behavior earlier in this thread and I stand by that judgement.

3 Likes

Oh man then again 0 arguments about the issues, i don’t know why you bother replying tome but not actually reading btw lines, ill do it for you:

From my original post anyone with enough reading and comprehension skills would have deduced the issues, unfair matchmaking,preferences on stackers just by waiting, maps making the issue more disgusting and then guys not knowing btw the difference of a single ragequit rather than alt f4, which isn’t dodging the map and here in this topic lots of people share the same misunderstanding, people doesn’t not only dodge the game cause of the maps and now they are forced to do it cause of the smurfing with 0 punishments for ladder manipulation.

The main problem is not only the maps, it is actually how the MM works and how poor it is designed, there can’t be waiting preferences, than again myexample just shows how mm looks for quantity and not quality, which is something we all should be against, well those who actually find interesting to play fair matches, if you want to play with 300 elo players with ur 900 rank you are free to do so, but not the rest of humans.

1 Like

Stop playing ranked, you’re basically the issue dude, that’s what everyone’s trying to say to you.

just dont bother @SouMexican is becomming so ignorant that he is not the helper but rather the problem that he zone out the things he does and describe them as good as they are clearly not just agree with Morthathor that people who wanna play one map or bother ignoring everyone else besides themself that they should play singleplayer or custom lobby because there is a way to get equal elo but just discarding that people have lower elo and egoisticly leaving because you are so focused on yourself that you cant for once belive in that people even with 200 elo less can still do something is laughable and shouldt be tolerated

Does that “self-centered” behaviour include when a NOOB has ZERO 1V1 games played, and 100 wins and 500 LOSSES… And continues to play team games and NOT 1V1 games to improe themselves?? Is it STILL “self-centered behaviour” to ALT + F4 WHEN SUCH A NOOB JOINS THE TEAM GAME??? :smiley: :smiley:

Yes.

Filler for space

1 Like