The most ridiculous design in the game

In game Mameluke actually is melee unit that do a melee damage and have a melee armor, the 3 range is laughable. As I said at least change the Camel type if changing the unit is hard

and yet it attacks at range.

yeah that’s why when the pros play it, they always just let them attack in melee range and don’t try to micro them them to take advantage of that 3 range at all.

In Ask Sandy 8 on aok.heavengames.com, he specifically says that Throwing Axemen and Mameluke were designed as ranged melee unit because it is interesting from a gameplay standpoint.
IMO the “mistake” is that a scimitar isn’t usually a throwing weapon.

oh you mean that “notequalizer” is twisting sandy’s words and stretching it to fit his narrative and that the decision was made for interesting gameplay? color me surprised, who would have said that the mameluke is interesting from a gameplay perspective?

2 Likes

can you give a link to this actual thread? or at least tell how to easily find it? (disregard, found it).

100% agreed. Really likes devs are not bringing another melee cavalry UU for the 2 upcoming civs with Dawn of the Dukes despite Winged Hussar being the most requested.

1111111111. Why went so extreme? Just look at all the Arabia civ picks.

1 Like

My refrence is not the same as yours too. I will give you the link where he said exactly “there were my fault”.

Here’s the link : Ask Sandy VIII – Age of Kings Heaven

And here’s the Q-A :

Q) Why does the Throwing Axemen and the Mamelukes can attack from range that cost regular damage?

A) Because it made them very interesting from a gameplay viewpoint.

I suggest to research the word “mameluke” on the page for an easy find.

And he said too that Mamelukes design was a fault.

I will bring you the link where he said he was wrong about the Mameluke design.

Someone made a mod some time back but did not complete it. Basically the scimitar rider on the camel mameluke was mounted on a horse and would fight in melee. That would be okay. Mamelukes were very strong against both armoured European knights and the Mongols so they would be a good unit with the same bonuses against horsemen.

1 Like

nah. its yet another melee cavalry unique unit. mameluke gives us variety. and something different and fun.

2 Likes

Check this video min 27:25

And to add more facts about what he said, he said:

• Paladin design is Wrong. Because no one use a shield and a sword as a main weapon, but as backup weapon so they should have Lancers.
  • Mameluke design is my fault.
  • I was the responsible of the design for most superior units in the game.

So it seems not only Mameluke but even our lover boy the Brokengudai was from those mistakes too.

@MatCauthon3 @SilvAries3406

but what is he actually saying? the choice was his - he isn’t saying it was the WRONG choice though. and he isn’t saying that it should be changed either.

Exactly this what should be done already.

Mangudais seem to be historically accurate. It is not a mistake to me.

yeah and so we trade an interesting unique unit for another bland cavalry that is basically a camel. boring. you know for a guy who says he wants to make the game better, this is the wrong way to go.

Yeah but he said it was a fault and mistake, not only Mameluke but even some design of other units. Well whatever, at least reduce the Mameluke cost and TT will be fine LOL.

it was a mistake from a historical accuracy standpoint - not a gameplay standpoint. big difference.

1 Like

Yes it is, but the Mangudai is broken and need a nerf.

Check: The Brokengudai!