Units struggle to load into Transport ships

Game Version:

• Build 35199
  • Steam version

Issue:

It is frequent for units to have pathfinding problems to load into Transport ships, even when there is a clear path ahead them and no obstruction of any kind.

Reproduction Steps:

Order one or more units to load into a Transport ship and observe their behavior.

The villagers on the shot that follows where stumbling on each other when commanded to enter the Transport ship, preventing one other to embark.

Even being alone and with a clear path to the ship, this villager was refusing to enter it.

4 Likes

Thank you for the report; I’ve written this up for the team to investigate!

I don’t suppose you have a recorded game of the mission where you experienced this issue? That would be immensely helpful in narrowing down the root cause of the issue.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

That bug exists since the version from 1997.

4 Likes

I tried to replicate the issue and only seems to happen with Light Transport (not Heavy Transport). I’ll post a GIF if I can.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I haven’t a recorded game of this mission, but I remember that it was the one from the Yamato campaign where the player needs to tribute gold for the red enemy faction in order to prevent being attacked, while looking for a suitable place to establish a new base on the other side of the river, where the yellow faction allied to the player is established.

Please, also take note from these following other bugs I have reported already:

Thanks for the efforts to keep the game running smoothly!

1 Like

Interesting, I haven’t ever noticed that, but now that you mentioned it I believe you are right!

1 Like

Game Version:

• Build: 35199
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10

Issue:

This issue happens once in a while since the original game. When a villager is ordered to repair a ship, and both are close to the shore, instead one of them keeping its position while the other come in the direction of the first, or both units move toward one another, they use to pass straight ahead from each other, merely changing places. Example:

My villager and the ship that was in need of repair where on the following positions:

Instead of moving together to a spot closer to each other for the repair to take place, as indicated on the following screenshot…

…they exchanged their positions, only!

Usually, after making this movement, the units move toward each other and the repairing happens, but sometimes both units maintain their new positions, and no repair is made.

The same behavior use to happen when units are commanded to load onto a transport ship: the units move to a spot in order to get closer to the transport position, while the transport moves in the direction of the previous place where these units were, so that the units don’t load into the transport ship.

Reproduction Steps:

Order a villager to repair a ship, when they are on the same shore, or try to load units into a transport ship, in the same condition described.

4 Likes

Your idea to solve the problem is quite solid, and in fact I also thought about it.

Another alternative would be to make artificial intelligence update more actively, and not only when all units involved go from point A to point B to perform actions. I mean, a certain dynamism in tasks assigned. This way, players (and the AI) would not need to constantly click on top of a moving target to get the job done.

Implementing something like I/we mentioned above, would also fix the hand-to-hand (melee) units not being able to engange their moveable targets effectively.

2 Likes

But non-static objectives tend to NOT stay in the same place for much time. Attack move, works better than using the regular “attack” command since it gets updated more frequently than the latter.

2 Likes

I think this should get more relevance. Pathfinding is one of the main issues of this game, affecting not only singleplayer but also multiplayer experiences. Hopefully devs do something.

2 Likes

A villager not being able to hop in a Heavy Transport (build 46777):
HeavyTransportNotLoading
Eventually, the villager loaded himself into the ship, but it took him some time (like a minute). Strangely enough, just before he succeeded, I was trying to replicate the same issue with a Light Transport (I couldn’t, so I assume this bug only affects Heavy Transport ships).

3 Likes

Also, villagers take some really long seconds to start repairing ships, when this ought to be instantaneous.

3 Likes

Sometimes when land units can’t advance any further or change their current position, ships don’t even move automatically (they don’t try to get closer to the land units), forcing a manual intervention from the player (build 46777).

2 Likes

Indeed! I normally don’t use the repair feature in ships, but recently I did and my villager took like one full second before finally beginning.

2 Likes