Walls and keeps need to be nerfed HARD

Thank you for the vids. I hadn’t seen those, and they were pretty helpful!

1 Like

definitely on the right track here

1 Like

also just wanted to point out, age 2 took this solution from its sequel, age 3, in age 3 you had only 1 type of wall, initially a palisade, but then you could upgrade it to stone, giving it more hp and armor (becomes available as cannons start rolling), so in a way, that dynamic is the most logical one to implement

That’s not how AoE2 works though? Palisades and stone walls are totally separate like they are in 4, although they can “connect” since all structures can.

AoE2 palisades do get a health buff upon aging up from dark age to feudal though.

was being specific on the said health of walls, either type, going up as you age up to castle, feudal for aoe2 palisades

1 Like

Ah ok.

Do you think AoE4 should do something similiar?

With the most recent palisade nerf I think they feel weak enough.

Haven’t played with the stone wall nerf really yet.

the issue imo is, they balanced walls to fit well with the early game, but now the walls are like paper in super late game, which means they replaced 1 problem with another
and yes, i’d like smt like this to at least be considered by relic

3 Likes

Hmm maybe.

I do think though that the longer the game goes on attacking should become stronger and defense weaker.

well, yes, but thing is, siege scaling isn’t perfect here either, you cannot tweak one without taking a look at the other

It is unbalanced, the trebuchet has low Dps in castle age and the cannons do a lot of damage in imperial

1 Like

I think a wall and castle should stay a wall and castle no matter what age you’re in. This is Age of Empires they haven’t invented aircraft yet. Or do you just want a game where armies attack each other like in modern times? I think people want to slowly make this game more like StarCraft, and I love StarCraft too, but this isn’t StarCraft and not everything should be catered around multiplayer sports. I’m obviously just talking from my own personal perspective, so what I say is not correct, but that’s my opinion on Age of Empires, you get to have castles and sieges, if you don’t want it, play another game, it’s why we get to have different games in different eras that plays differently.

5 Likes

Who has commented that a stone wall and a castle shouldn’t have relevance in the game?

Obviously, in casual games and thanks to mods, it can be balanced as you wish, but in competitive games it must be viable without being broken or generating games with little dynamism.

3 Likes

Here, the fragment, listen to the opinion about the walls

No i hate being raided from every side and people targeting my villager instead of army. I don’t want walls to be nerfed.

The only thing i could accept is if it wasn’t possible to repair (or much slower) a building that is being attacked. Would also make sense thematically… Why can i repair stuff that is being destroyed…

Another thing they could do is a age 3 tech that increases the HP of stone walls. So by default it would have much less HP but when upgraded it would be the same than now. That would solve SO MUCH the no-stone wall rule in age 2 in tournaments without preventing people from using a turtle strategy if they like

But I really dont wish for a generic nerf, because some players like it. Not everyone wants to be managing 5 armies everywhere on the map

4 Likes

I also thought of a technology for stone walls but I like the way that aoe2 does it better. On the other hand, don’t worry, the developers also take casual players into consideration, because they are the majority of the ladder

Personally i like the tech more because it gives agency, and playera have to choose between spending those resources on wall or other tech, the tech could also be in the blacksmith so if you spend it on walls you can take time from your military tech.

Could even be a age 2 tech that allow you to build stone walls. Without it no stone walls. I think it would make sense since you also need a tech for rams.

I hope it will be liked by casual gamers