Extreme language Filter (Censor)

Game Version:

• Build: Latest version after update 36202 or whatever
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 7
  • Gamertag: :ghost:Wraith​:ghost:

Issue:

EVERY sentence that contains the word “I” is completely censored. As In “I will go FC” is censored to * **** ** **. Are you frikin serious. Whoever’s idea it was to implement such draconian censorship needs to be shot.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem: Literally just type in the multiplayer lobby.

1. Just type a sentence in the multiplayer lobby as far as I know.

ATTACHMENTS: Even if I attach a screenshot it will just be of a bunch of asterisks. If you really need me to I will.

5 Likes

When i play multiplayer, alot of the chats are censored for me with “****”.
Even the the name of the bots sometimes gets censored.
When i type “11” i gets also censored, for whatever reason.

How do I turn it off? I haven’t found an option to do so. Can someone please help me?

2 Likes

Hi @SirKingIke, This is a known issue. Some players have suggested signing out of Xbox Live if you’re running the Steam version.

I typed “I guess…” and it was censored
I typed "I had a terrible FC "(Fast Castle) and it was censored

Please at least make it smarter
I couldn’t even ask for help

it censors the whole sentence if you have any specific letter, until the algos are fixed, learn what the censored letters are and just avoid them, one biggy is the letter “i” dont make a sentence with it standing alone…

It also appies to the mod descriptions now and it blocks the upload or update of your mod if the description contains “Extreme” Language. For me the word “I” was enough.

1 Like

Disgusting. Because you need to be signed in to publish mods.
The only workaround is to do it on the website instead.

2 Likes

Hi i encountered the problem after the most recent update - that many messages in chat are censored with ********. The problem is - it happens even if you are trying to type any basic sentences without any offensive words . Usually one or two words are not censored. It must be a bug because simply typing “1” (number one) is censored. I basically cannot communicate with my teammates in game or in lobby chat. Typical lobby chat looks like:
p1: ****** *** ********* **** **
p2: *** ****** *********** *********** ****
p3: what?
p2: ***** ***** *
P2: T_T

The longer sentence is the higher chance it will be hidden. It is very annoying and prevents good user experience. Has anyone else noticed this?

1 Like

xbox live’s profanity filter is bugged, ageofempires team is aware of it and said they are working on it, but its not completely up to them because its a xbox live bug, and obviously microsoft is pushing them into using it
meanwhile, until they fix it, you can just sign out of xbox live in the main menu, and you will see a much lighter and reasonable filters. it only filters the swear words like F word or stuffs like that, and most importantly it never censors the complete sentence, it only filters the word that are intended to be filtered, not the whole sentence

Thank you. It helped me! Before i couldn’t even type any sentence that had “I” or “1” in it.

2 Likes

Yes the agenda…that we dont must talk… Haha lol.

You can talk all you want about the game itself and take other off-topic discussions privately. That’s not an agenda but they are called the forum rules. But people don’t read manuals nor rules nor recommendations these days. They just do something, because hey I can.

1 Like

I can’t believe nearly 2 months since this post was created that they have done absolutely nothing about it. Surely adding the option to have the filter on or off would be incredibly easy to implement, even for a first year IT student…
This isn’t exactly a small issue as many people have said it truly affects not only the gameplay experience, but simple communication with others within the game. If this goes on for much longer I would have to start avoiding MS products, i’m an adult for ■■■■ sake.

3 Likes

The problem is still there.

A lot of harmless sentences are censored and the censorship doesn’t work the same way for all the players (sometimes a sentence is censored for me but my teammates can read it).

You should relax the conditions on the censor filter, and make it optional, since I think most of the community does not care about banning words. What’s important is the report system, if some player is just toxic and makes the other feel bad, make reports work, but don’t cut communications.

You’re doing a great work with the game, fix this as well!

3 Likes

This is absolutely ridiculous. Whoever rolled out this language censor (or that was in charge of this portion of AOE 2: DE) did not manage their team well at all.

How is the censorship beyond a sound measure, to the point of breaking communication? This game has blood being spilled on the screen, but 1’s are being censored?

This is a glaring issue that needs to be resolved.

3 Likes

How is this still not fixed?!?!
I can’t have a normal conversation at all! I can’t say anything that has the word “I”, “could”, “1”, etc… This is ridiculous.
If you cant implement a proper language filter that is not broken then just disable it until it is fixed! This is making it impossible to communicate.

1 Like

I have the feeling that the messages are being sent through a server after the censor update to analyse the chat of the users and since then there is a delay when sending messages …
Imo it’s just useless, and if you implement such thing, make an option to disable it. Btw here is the steam topic to this:

(not the only topic there obv.)

1 Like

where is this confirmed? Because this is one of the worse issues with the game right now…

Why hasn’t this been fixed yet? OMG I JUST WANT TO ATTACK AN ENEMY PLAYER NOW AND I CANT EVEN TELL MY TEAM MATES THAT I AM ATTACKING! REEEEEEEEEE

1 Like

I hate Microsoft for having such stupid people in the top of the company taking such liberal/stalinist/dictatorship decisions, as the case of this censorship concealed as a “language filter”.

First of all, any language filter is censorship. Especially in a game intended for the ADULT public.
Whoever took the decision to implement this sh.t obviously has some kind of cognitive lack, cause yes… I can slay innocent villagers (some of them being probably pregnant, btw), but I can’t CURSE.

2 Likes

@aoe2DEdevs if you stick together in your dev. team and you just ignore the decision of your supervisor (or the supervisor of your supervisor) and tell him that you (as a team) are able to make better decisions than some people (like that guy who decided to add that idiotic filter) who don’t have a clue about the aoe2 community, about the game itself or only a very little, I can imagine that you get more freedom in future decisions.
And even if they would fire you, the community will witness and the player number will get less and less over time.

2 Likes