The Alt+F4 Multiplayer Problem

it’s ok to bring more threads about the same issue. eventually a mod will have to merge them to concede the devs know about the issue but have no intentions to fix it.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard of this issue before… players are ALT-F4’ing?? :wink:

So many topics on this :confused:

I have a feeling the topics been merged a few times before, but I could be wrong

1 Like

I like the approach of this thread more than others. Usually people just complain, but @UnfamousScout is actually interested in solving the root cause, rather than apply a quick-fix.

In my opinion there are a couple of possible reasons:
Issues affecting both 1v1 and TG:
→ One map only players. People who refuse to play anything but one map (whichever it may be). These players sometimes even admit here on the forums that they ALT+F4 when they don’t get the one map.
→ People who get bored of only one map. This has also been seen from players on this forum. I am sometimes guilty of this too when the 1v1 is filled with clones of the same map. I don’t want to grind through nothing but Arabia/Arabia clone 1v1 endlessly, it feels like a chore, not fun
The biggest problem is that these are two conflicting problems, and coming to a common ground between these two groups is very difficult as they want to achieve opposite outcomes.

TG only issues:
→ Lack of Social functions in game.
This means people queue up with randoms, which besides the ALT+F4 problem, creates a lot of frustration and ragequit, as uncoordinated teams tend to fare poorly against pre-made teams.
All this leads to issues like people ALT+F4ing when they don’t get to pick the position they like, people ALT+F4ing if they don’t like the player statistics of a team mate, and also reducing the number of bans people have, since queuing up for a 4v4 alone gives less bans than if you were in a team with 3 friends deciding the bans together.

Suggestions:
Make the number of maps in 1v1 map pools higher
Find a way to encourage Team Game players to form pre-made teams instead of queuing up solo
Encourage one map only players to make use of the custom lobby

I’m not sure if each friends ban counts or just the ones of the hosting party. Can anyone clarify this?

When you queue up for a 4v4 alone you get 1 ban. If you are part of a team of 4 when queuing up, you get more bans in total as a team and can discuss what maps to ban.

If genuinely curious to read about ALT+F4 dodging, why it happens, ideas for getting rid of the issue, and other related discussions, here are some threads to possibly read through.

I can’t say if your topic relates enough to those other topics to warrant merging, or is worded in such a way that remaining independent makes sense, I’m just sharing some discussions you maybe didn’t know were on the forum already. The forum search might find even more.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/how-prevalent-is-alt-f4-in-your-elo-poll/126675/6?u=darkness01101

2 Likes

Cool, but I’m pretty sure you only get 1 ban for 4v4, on your own

yeah indeed, sorry, that is what I intended to write

Nice combo of the subject matter.

1 Like

So as counter measures we have:

1. Allow infinite map bans -this is requested a lot also in aoezone.net, the forum for competive players. Seems fairly easy to implement.
  2. Fix the rating and matchmaking system, so that matchups are more even -the matchmaking has a lot of problems, see Analyses of the ratings - Spotting the issues
  3. Count alt-f4 as a loss for the dodger -okay, but there are so many crashes that killing the app process would be hard to distinguish from a crash. Also the rating points would not be conserved that way.
  4. Give a requeue time penalty -this is pretty common in other games, as above alt-f4 has to be distinguished from a crash.
  5. Allow rated custom lobbies -if a game is played on a map and settings like in rated games, points can be given accordingly. This is the case on HD edition and Voobly.

Considering the persisting performance issues and bugs in the game, I think that #1 is probably the only realistic thing to ever happen soon.

Please tell me if I am missing something.

Already discussed why i think this is a bad idea. I dont really feel the need to really explain this again. Probably the same people will dive on this post, to just start the same discussion over and over again. It is not that easy to implement either. It is not like you change a number in the code and you have more bans and everything is fine. Now everyone can be matched against each (given the correct elo range). Maps are picked after matching. In this suggestion the matching algorithm needs to change and needs to include to match for maps.

Probably no surprise. I fully support this idea. But in the end it wont really solve all the Alt+F4, i think. So it isnt the full solution for this issue. I also didnt started that thread to solve the Alt + F4.

No, please no. This is terrible… The main reason for dodging in 1v1 is just after the game is launched (after the 1 min. count down). People still lost the Elo. Losing Elo is already their goal. Dont make it so you already can dodge before the match started. It only promotes smurfing. You can already found profiles with 10+ losses in 1 hour. Also this will mess up the ladder and gives dodgers a more easy game (which is their goal). Again this point is already discussed in multiple threads.

Given that it is pretty common in other games as well, i would suggest to use this option. Again, this is already discussed in multiple threads again, so i wont go in too much detail. Just look at the multiple threads out there. @Darkness01101 posted many of them already.

HD and Voobly have shown how bad lobbies really were. MM is a big improvement over a lobby. Games are much more equal (given that the TG elo bug will be solved, since that is a real issue) and you also gets into a game much, much quicker. Also it isnt really a good idea to split the playerbase over different ladders, while playing the same kind of maps. We already have Quick play, which turned out terrible. Luckily it pretty much died quickly, so it hasnt a big impact. MM works better if there are more players. We dont need players to move away from ranked, we just need more players in ranked. The better question we can ask is: How can we have people move from the lobby to ranked. And again, these idea is already discussed in multiple other threads as well.

In the end you just posted the solution who are already discussed in other thread. Everyone has their own favorite. #2 is something that just needs to be addressed quickly, but isnt the full solution for this issue. The only full solution is #4. For #5 you could make the point to make the unranked elo of the lobby visible into the game. But that is all. I dont really think many players will move from ranked to the lobby. #1 en #3 are just trash ideas. Their arent the solution.

I am also not really sure what you means about the performance issues and the bugs. I dont really notice much crashes of things like that. I own the game for over a year and i think i can still count the number of crashes on 1 hand. Performance is also great compared to Voobly and HD. So they arent really an issue.

2 Likes

A temporary punishment will cause longer queues, cause people will still alt f4 and just changing account, also will cause more insta resign once the game has started to prevent the time punishment or just drops.

The irony i have been reading, guys who defend punishments also don’t want to play random civs only cause they don’t want to be forced to play with civs they don’t want, can’t believe how hypocrite they are.

As for the devs they don’t really want to address this issue, cause for 1x1 it is working, changing the system means to re write the algorithm, change the current map voting system and a lot of work cause they are using the same system on the other DE games.

So if they want easy solutions without changing everything, then they can only do two simple things: Premade teams can only ban one map, the reason they have been controlling the maps they want to be played cause of of more bans allowed, compared to solo queues, giving them another unfair advantage.

And remove civ selection from the TG MM, simply the maps are so bad, the teams are really unfair and on top of that there are the same civs all the time, what is the point of 37 civs plus the +3 coming, if britons and franks are being picked 99% on all team games and the same 3-5 civs for water like maps.

And the extra option is simple to change ban system for only preferred system, so instead of banning 3 maps you will only choose 3 maps and the MM will look into the players preference and choose the most common option among the players.

For god sake just allow people to ban more maps if you are planning on removing altf4 or banning players who use it. Every single game I decide not to altf4 is a waste of time. Spent all day thinking of playing today, only to get TWO nomads in a row.

First game lasted 3 minutes, one of my allies won a vill fight, everyone on the other team resigns… I spen 10 minutes in queue for 3 mins of “play” because of bad manners…
Then next game, after another queue, I build my TC in between enemies. The two boars I saw when I decided to build my TC were gone and by minute 10 I had towers coming up in my face, minute 15 I also had knights under my TC. My ally was in a corner away from us playing boom.

What a waste of time! I considered altf4 both times, didnt do it but its like my 10th report of horrible Nomad games in this forum. Its always the same crap that makes me come post. Seriously, I play 10-15 games per week and it seems like every other day I have a horrible Nomad experience. I will go play something else because I simply do not have the time to waste around with this crap map rotation.

This game was played 40 minutes ago and lasted 0:03:06 h.

Game mode Random Map
Location Nomad
Map size Large

3 Likes

Te[quote=“WoodsierCorn696, post:853, topic:95086”]
It is not like you change a number in the code and you have more bans and everything is fine
[/quote]

There are literally infinite bans in any other mainstream Multiplayer game. Like CSGO.

infinite map bans+ scaled punishment is the solution figured 10 years ago by a lot of game companies. And not doing anything is just increasing the time queue.

Thanks for neglicting half of my explanation about this possible solution.

It seems AgeofEmpries thinks this topic will dilute if they keep merging topics on to one big pile of …

Why can’t they adress this problem and do something!?

3 Likes

One couldn’t play the same level over and over again in a Pac-Man competition. Same with some modern games. Why is the AoE2 game being reduced to one map? Are the others that bad or unenjoyable? The game seems filled with wondrous and creative maps to play.

Because it is not that big problem honestly, just team games issue and be ez fixed by add more banns choices on map pool

You know that the forum staff and the devs are two different groups?

The forum staff need to make dure the forum is clean and clear. Multiple threads about the same isnt clean and clear. Having the same discussion in multiple threads is pretty terrible to me. We now at least have a single thread about this subject. The moderators have almost no influence on the new features, bugfixes,… into the games.

The devs need to take care about the development of the game.

2 Likes