[Poll] Would you like to be able to build doors on the trade route after the imperial era in the standard game, or at least in the treaty mode?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Trade routes sometimes leave limitations to build a good defense. I propose that a wall be built over the trade route; It would be good for treated mode rather than standard games.
I made this proposal in the following forum and received good support::

Summary

This text will be hidden

2 Likes

Sure, why not?
I don’t really have a problem with trade routes since even tho I can’t wall on top of them I can wall all around them, so not bothering for me, but it would be nice anyway.

If you remember in the Chayton campaign there is a trade route coming out of a walled base (First mission, I think it came out of a gate, maybe just walls around them however).

By the way, you messed up a part of the poll, so we can’t vote yet heheh…

2 Likes

Walls are strong enough already, so no.

5 Likes

Thanks. Fixed up. First time I use this tool.

1 Like

In some campaign missions it can be seen. Why not make it viable in multiplayer?Age of Empires 3 - 18 - Hold the Fort Walkthrough PC - YouTube

Cause it would be ridiculously easy to defend TPs.

2 Likes

Understandable in supremacy. I understand your point, but in late game I mean, not at the beginning of the game where it would be very hard. In addition, native trading posts can be locked up and also count as a way to win by monopoly. There are maps where there are more abundance of native towns than commercial posts on the route.

Self-opinion to revive this issue. :sweat_smile:

I thought the wall over the trade route is not very relevant in the late game.

I don’t like the Daimyo going to the rear with 5 mortars to destroy the factories in 1 minute after finishing the treaty.

1 Like

No. If I wanted to play a slow wall-fest I’d play AOE2.

That’s why I say late game.

I think it’s difficult to implement technically. You cannot create independent doors in the game. First a wall and then a door. This is how walls work in Age of Empires 3.

It is a simple change in the code. I have played mods that do.

Does this mod add a new “gate” building or just allow walls to be placed on trade routes ?

In the first case, there is no more space for a new building in the interface of certain european villagers (Dutch).

In the second case, it would be possible to build a wall without a door on a trade route. I think that it’s a bit dangerous for trains xD

In fact, the solution could be: only the “great wall” can be placed on trade routes and that they automatically transform into a door at this time (with an additional wood cost) :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Maybe a technology or a card can allow that ? It will be necessary to indicate somewhere to the player the functioning of this particular system (in the description of the technology) and to avoid a too easy defense of trading posts at the beginning of the game (an age 4 technology ?)

It auto designates when hovering over the path when you are going to build a wall over the path. I don’t see a need for letters for something so simple.

I feel your pain here, although I think your real issue would be with balancing Japanese daymyos and not with the walls themselves. Then again, Japanese are their own can of worms…

1 Like

Yes but in exchange increase wall cost and remove pillarless walls. Gl getting the latter to happen though. Mah hidden skills tricks1111!!!

I like that the walls have limitations so that you do not have control of the trading posts easily, but in the late game a good defense is necessary because there are skirmishes everywhere. On the map where this problem most manifests itself is on the ‘Great Lakes’ map. It is difficult to make a good defense on that map because the trade route is a public highway.

1 Like