These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.
- GAME BUILD #: 101.101.47820.0 6624001
- GAME PLATFORM: Steam
- OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10
DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
On default radeon settings the game still limits the fps to the display refresh rate on vsync disabled, both in game and the in the radeon software.
If this is the case, the game feels choppy.
Solution: Turn on Radeon Enhanced Sync in the Radeon software in the Gaming tab.
How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!
- 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)
List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!
Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:
- Use a FreeSync panel
- Install the latest AMD Radeon Pro software (21.Q1.2)
- Use standard graphics settings as preset under Settings/Graphics
- Make sure FreeSync is enabled under Settings/Display
- Install Fraps to show the actual framerate. The ingame fps counter is misleading. The hotkeys for recording and screenshots are not needed and should be disabled. As alternative the Radeon overlay can also be used.
- Start a single player game. Fraps shows the display refresh rate, despite the ingame fps counter showing 200+ fps. The game runs choppy.
- While the match is running, go to Gaming in the Radeon software and enable Radeon Enhanced Sync. The game will run at higher fps, and Fraps will show the same fps rate as the ingame counter. The game runs smooth. If this does not work, restart the game and start a new match, while keeping the Enhanced Sync option enabled all the time.
If Enhanced Sync is disabled again, the game will remain running smooth.
In order the get back to the bad state, the game has to be quit to desktop and restarted.
Notes: My Card is RX470. I always use FreeSync, so I have not tested it with FreeSync disabled. FreeSync is and should be the system default anyway.
What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
The game should run smooth out of the box on default driver settings (I consider enabling Radeon Enhanced Sync to be a workaround).
The fps should not be capped to the display refresh rate.
The ingame fps counter should show the same fps like Fraps.
ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.
The above is the state out of the box/clean driver and game installtion.
The below shows the state after enabling Radeon Enhanced Sync.
The setting can be found in the driver utility, see below.
Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.