Can you add additional civilisations to DE?

I know this is not possible on HD (but is on voobly). It is possible for DE? My attempts so far have been unsuccessful, the little interface that pops up where you pick your civ doesn’t seem to have the flexibility to accommodate additional civs. Is this correct, and to add new civs to DE would I need to over-ride existing civs just like on HD?

5 Likes

No, at least from my attempts. This was one of the first things I tried in DE. I found all of the Widgetui Elements associated with how the game handles Civilizations, such as in menus and that, but the Mod System doesn’t support editing them and Hard Modding them softlocks the game when trying to go into the Civ Menu. I also did 50 eight player skirmishes with a modded 36 Civ DAT and unless I am extremely unlucky, they do not appear in the game.

3 Likes

Well , this is bad news :cry:

2 Likes

This is really disappointing, one of the strong points was supposed to be the moddability of the game, how come didn’t the devs add this pssibility?

2 Likes

Considering they announced big changes for audio modding, I imagine it will happen eventually.

Make sure to bug report anything that might be considered a bug that you run into while trying to mod your civs.

2 Likes

StepS also responded in the Discord about this and said that modifying and including the widgetui\dialogcivmenu.json file in your mod will make new civs work.

1 Like

Hey Ryan that sounds really interesting. Do you happen to have an invite link to said Discord so I can see the conversation for myself? Thanks.

see mod-workshop

1 Like

Right now or the next update? Because I tried an entire day trying to get both the “dialogcivmenu” and “materials” .json files to recognize a 36th civilization and the best result I got was the game softlocking when trying to access the civilization menu.

1 Like

I haven’t tried myself, so if that doesn’t work, let him know about it in the #mod-workshop channel on the official Discord. StepS just said:

Hey guys, someone here mentioned adding new civs into the game
The UI for civs is actually NOT hardcoded!
You can add this modified file into your mod and it will work
[Image of dialogcivmenu.json] (quick preview)
The json is located in the widgetui folder.

1 Like

I’m going to try adding 1 now.

1 Like

Please let us know if it works!

It has not worked so far. I dont really understand the formatting completely. I added a new civ “Afghans”. I copy pasted the Aztecs section and changed the datavalue to 39 (1 more than the highest datavalue in the file previously), x and y origin to fill the “empty” slot on the bottom right next to the mayans in the interface. I did not change the other 3 mentions of aztecs because I think they refer to specific files that I dont have an Afghan version of atm.

1 Like

I think I have an idea of what I did wrong the first time. Unfortunately, I can’t test the theory until tomorrow evening.

But for anyone testing this right now (@Anatarion2454 ), I guarantee that the “materials.json” needs to be edited too since a lot of the strings in “dialogcivmenu.json” calls to “materials.json”.

1 Like

AoE2DE_s_2019-12-10_14-25-11
I managed to get the new button to show up and place it correctly, however clicking the button does nothing.
When creating new civilizations in the original game, the steps to have it show up were three: Adding the entry to the genie editor, creating the language reference in the .dll and lastly to edit a .xml file to add the civilization infos there.
I managed to perform the first two steps, but the dialogcivmenu.json’s UI civ entries have “DataValue” sections referencing civilization IDs that seem to be used to access a different file, as “Mirror”, “Random” and “Full Random” options occupy DataValue 36 to 38, which would be occupied by new civilizations we’d create (as Lithuanians are civ ID 35). Moreover, creating new entries with Genie Editor civ section to get to civ ID 39 which would be currently free still makes the game crash when changing the DataValue of a working UI button to 39, leading me to believe there is still another place we need to add our civilization entry for it to recognize it.

2 Likes

Mmac said you need to edit materials.json also.

1 Like

Materials.json only controls texture and coloring, not data, as far as I know.

Which dll and xml files do I need to edit?

Developer StepS said in Discord, that “Hey guys, regarding the data values in the civ menu dialog, that is indeed broken right now and not working as intended, but issue is being tracked for future updates. Sorry for any confusion”.
So you guys need to wait for fix before adding new civilizations.

2 Likes

Has the new patch fixed the issue with the values in the civ menu? From the notes, it doesn’t seem like it. Has anyone tested it?