AoE4 Civilization Concept: The Thai

Dear god, I finally finished the Thai, at first I thought this was going to be ezpz. As being half-Thai myself, I thought it would be an easy process to with knowledge I already knew being able to source from Thailand itself. but Thai history is surprisingly elusive in further detail. It’ll tell you about all the kings and empires and countless wars fought. But forget trying to dig into the details of technology, society, and in many ways, the way of life in that era.

But here it is!

The Thai

Special thanks to Seicig!

(Yes I know, good competitor to the abbasids.)

Thai Kingdoms Trade, Religion, Infantry

Difficulty: 2/3

Bonuses

• Villagers +5 food carrying capacity from farms.
  • Monks cost 175 food instead of gold.
  • Villagers can Garrison in houses.
  • Building heals Garrisoned units +3HP every 5 seconds.
  • Unique Unit: Royal Elephant
  • Unique Unit: River Tradeboat replacing Tradeship.
  • Unique Unit: Jaturungkabart
  • Unique Building: Wat replacing Monestary / University.
  • Does not pay Taxes when paying Tribute.

Floating Markets: Markets and Docks generates +1 gold per building within their influence sphere. Rate of this income increases depending on the Tradegoods accumulated.

Trade goods: Minimum of 1 Tradegood is generated each time a trader makes a trade, the number of trade goods generated increases depending on the trade route distance.

Unique LandmarksFeudal Age

• Wat Phutthaisawan: Unlocks the ability to make Early Man-at-Arms with a 10% discount. Functions as Barracks**.**
  • The Bench of Public Appeals: Villagers when called to garrison move 10% faster. Can research all-economy upgrades for a 50% increase in speed at the landmark.

Castle Age

• Wat Phanan Choeng: Functions as Wat, Ships ships gain 10% more HP and Produce monks 25% cheaper.
  • Phom Phet Fortress: Function as a Keep, can garrison additional 10 units.

Imperial Age.

• Wat Phra Phutthabat: Functions as Wat, Increases movement speed for all units by 10%
  • Kraal Pavilion: Provides 1 Royal elephant and 4 Jaturungkabart for 200F and 100G with 120 seconds production time.

Wonder: Wat Photaram

Additional Notes

Building:

• Wat (150S 150W): Functions as a Monastery, but can research all upgrades in Castle age, including University Upgrades in Imperial Age. Exception for Blacksmith Upgrades. Wat can garrison up to 1 Monk.

Units

• River Tradeboat (II, 75W 75G): A Unique unit that replaces the trade ship. Trades at the same rate and as Land Traders, but moved twice as fast as a trade ship. Individual Tradeboat can be set to collect stone, or food, instead of wood as a secondary resource.
  • Jaturungkabart (II, 80F 100G): Specialized melee infantry with double-attacks, they get additional buffs staying within the Royal Elephant inspiring range. Gaining cleave damage on their attacks and heals for +1hp every 4 seconds under the Royal Elephant range.
  • Royal Elephant (III, 600F 600G): A Elephant that can pick up and carry relics, its presence inspires nearby units with increased movement speed and attack speed within a 4 tile range.

Technologies

• Sakdi Na (II, 100F 100G): Non-siege units return 5% of their value upon death.
  • Sangkhalok wares (II, 100S 100G): Traders provide +10 Gold if the trade route is longer than 23 tiles.
  • Wang Na (II, 200W 125G): Non-landmark Town centers can garrison +10 units.
  • Nuat Phaen Boran (III, 200F, 350G): Doubles the healing rate of Garrisoned units.
  • Sancrat (III, 200F 300G): Increases the movement speed of Monks and Elephants carrying relics by 15%
  • Floating Rice (III, 200W 500G): Improves Villagers gathering rate from Farms by 15% Muay (III, 500F 300G): Melee Infantry move and attack 10% faster when in combat.
  • Phawp Gohk Rawng Luk (III, 500G): Monks can Garrison in Wats, increasing research speed by 10% (to a maximum of 30%)
  • Brick Masonry (IV, 300S, 700G): Increases the Health of all Buildings by 40%
  • Krabi-Krabong (IV, 300F 1000G): Man at Arms attack speed increased by 20%
  • Chatra (IV, 1000G): Gives Royal Elephants +100 HP

Additional Notes: Architecture would be something similar to the Khmer Feudal age buildings mixed with some stone buildings retaining their style. from AoE2. However, their houses are elevated wooden houses with their own distinct flair. Naval units would be the Junk-style ships, the exception being the river trade boat being more akin to a Barge. Language progression: The Tai language had a lot of development, branching out to several linguistical languages during the time of migration. But for the game, it could start off as the Chiang Saen Thai, which is the predecessor to the Sukothai language that they get during feudal, and develop more into the Ayutthaya language in Castle, before becoming an early version of the Modern Thai language in Imperial.

Landmark references:

Wat Phutthaisawan:

This temple was built by King Uthong who was the first monarch and founder of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. It became well known as a Krabi-Krabong (Thai Sword fighting) school from the early Ayutthaya period until the present day. Known as the Phuttaisawan Sword School.

The Bench of Public Appeals:

The Sukothai King known as Ram Khamahaeng the Great, also known as Pho Khun, shared a close relationship with his people. He created this, within his kingdom, upon the entrance hangs a bell, any person from the country wishing to make a formal complaint, finds himself in physical or mental distress, can request the King himself to pass immediate judgment on the matter by ringing the bell.

Wat Phanan Choeng:

The temple houses an immense gilded 19-meter-high seated Buddha called the Luang Pho Tho. Regarded as a guardian for Mariners. It was visited by Zheng He, a Chinese Muslim eunuch admiral from Yunnan who lead the second Ming imperial voyage and bestowed gifts upon the temple in a great ceremony that included the Siamese royalty. Today remembered by the Thai-Chinese visitors who still visit the temple in his honor.

Phom Phet Fortress:

It is one of only two surviving fortresses of Ayutthaya 29 forts. The fort was considered the strongest and most important fort, hence the name Pom Phet (Diamond Fort). The area around the fort included a significant trading center where people of all nationalities resided. One person who used to live in this quarter was Thongi, a Nobleman who was the father of King Rama I. The founder of the Rattanakosin Kingdom and the first monarch of the current Chakri Dynasty, the present-day Monarchy in Thailand.

Wat Phra Phutthabat:

the name literally means: Temple of Buddha’s Footprint. Because it contains a natural depression believed to be the Footprint of Buddha. The king of Ayutthaya build this temple and named it after the hunter Pram bun who found a large depression in the stone resembling a huge footprint. It is believed from the Bunnoowaat Sutra, tells of the flight of the Buddha to the peak of mount Suwanbanphot and how he left his footprints. It is believed 5 footprints of the Buddha is in different places. One of them is Phra Phutthabat temple.

Kraal Pavilion:

utilized as the royal seat to witness the elephant round-up. In the past, wild elephants would be trained here to become war or transport animals. In the center of the stockade there resides a Shrine said to house the elephant guardian.

Wonder: Wat Photaram: Also known as Wat Pho, is one of Bangkok’s oldest temples. It existed before Bangkok was established as the new Capital in the region. It is the temple famous for housing the reclining Buddha statue, Phra Buddhasaiyas. It was also considered the first public university in Thailand, teaching students in the fields of religion, science and literature. A school of traditional medicine and massage was established. The Thai massage taught at Wat Pho has been included in the UNESCO list of cultural heritage.

Building:

Wat

• Health: 2100

Units:

Jaturungkabart:
bilde
(The infantry guys around the elephant)

• Health: 90/110/140
  • Attack: 6/7/8 Melee; 14/16/20 tortch; +1 Bonus Damage against infantry.
  • Rate of fire: 1.25s
  • Armor: 1/2/3
  • Speed: 1.125 tiles/s

Jaturungkabart were the bodyguards of the Thai Elephants and would guard their legs against any attacks that might threaten the elephant. They are specially trained, form of elite soldiers. The name itself is somewhat equivalent to Protector. These units are light armor so they would be rather vulnerable against archers and units with a charge bonus. Being most effective at clearing spear mass that might threaten the royal elephant.

Royal Elephant stats:

• Health: 1100/1200
  • Attack: 30 melee (Tusks); 20 Melee (Ngao);
  • Rate of fire: 2.75s melee (Tusks); 1.5s Melee (Ngao);
  • Range: 1tiles (tusks), 1 tiles (Ngao)
  • Armor: 3/4 Pierce armor: 1/1 Speed: 1 tiles/s

Elephants are hugely important even today in Thai society, during these times, Battles would often start with an Elephant-duel between the 2 opposing armies.The elephants used in warfare were mainly used in a supportive role, reflected by their inspiring aura. As Thai armies were mainly infantry focused. Mostly used to exploit weaknesses in the opponent army’s defenses by leading a charge

River Trade Boat stats:

• Health: 100 Speed: 3 tiles/s

River trade boats function as faster trade ships. While they give the same trade returns as a regular land trader, but with an equal amount of secondary resources of one choosing on each individual boat. When made, they would start off with the Default: Gold and Wood. But could be switched to Gold and Food, or Gold and Stone.

Write-up:

I would have never guessed I would struggle so much in trying to research the topic of Medival Thailand. Anything pre-16th century was elusive as hell, and I was scouring the internet looking for any information. Ended up having to read an old book called A new historical relation of the kingdom of siam, that which was written in almost a Shakespearian style. Being my self of Thai heritage, I even had to nag my own mother to do some translation. Because trying to Romanize Thai words is a feat in itself.

While there is plenty of stories and history involving the origin, creation, wars, and eventual downfall of Thai kingdoms and empires alike. There is actually very little information on them from within. What sort of technology was common, and how were their weapons and armor made? What were they made of? Things like that were surprisingly hard to find.

Anyway, the Thai (Tai-people) are interesting as they were not originally native to South East Asia, and originated in China, sometime during the Tang Dynasty, they migrated south and settled. Due to their connection to China, their goods were quite sought after by the Chinese, which is why since their early age has always been prospering through trade, establishing trade routes along the way. Eventually coming into the lands of the Khmer and integrated themselves with the Khmer empire for a time being. The word Thai means Free. And I think it might be for a good reason, perhaps the reason why they migrated south away from the Chinese, and when they grew large enough, broke away from the Khmer empires, establishing kingdoms of their own.

Sukothai became a quickly growing kingdom, growing originally from Maritime roots into a central trade hub in the region. Thai culture has always been open to foreigners so the Thai kingdoms quickly grew to become cosmopolitan and started blending cultures. Eventually becoming very rich, until the growth of the Ayutthaya eventually took over, surprisingly, there was very little conflict between the rising Ayutthaya that eventually became the dominant power in the region, and the Sukothai, rather they formed a sort of Symbiosis, becoming known as Twin cities, both prospering from a rich and diverse trade. The kingdom of La Na in the north became the main driving force of religion, introducing Theravada Buddhism that eventually came to dominate the region. This blending with the Hindu-Indian culture of the Khmer eventually created the distinct south-east Asian Culture and Architecture we see today.

However, it was not all peace and prosperity. The Thai suffered constant invasion from the Burmese and have as many countless wars against them as the English and French had during their history. While the Burmese eventually won and manage to take the kingdom of La Na, and sack Ayutthaya destroying it completely. It never really manage to snuff out the Thai people and their identity. Every time the Thai people got raided and pillaged, they would quickly rise again as an economist might.

This is even more evident after the final Burmese destruction of Ayutthaya, the Thai people within a few years recreated the former glory of Ayutthaya further south in Bangkok which was a far more defensible position and closer to the ocean. Again establishing international trade and diplomacy. Modernizing their military and making a series of policies that eventually would lead them to be one of the few countries in Asia that never got colonized, and was well respected by the western powers, even seen as an equal at some points.

If you enjoyed this, you can check out my other Civ Concepts:
Khmer Empire
The Japanese
Korean Kingdoms

Next up: Norse (I need a break from Asia, I’m planning 4 more asian nations. Champa, Burmese, Dai Viet and Malayu)

12 Likes

I like all your Civilization Concepts. Thank you for your work :slight_smile:

Thai would be a very cool Civilization.

Unfortunately I guess we have to wait some very long time before we get new Civilizations :frowning:

Thanks you!

perhaps, its hard to tell. But one thing is for sure, we will see new civilizations. because why would they not? The money opportunity is just to great to miss out.

But most likely we wont see it before 2023. Maybe before Xmas 2022 for the xmas sales.

Most likely just the Koreans and Japanese, because they could add 2 new civs that balance each other out, + campaign they are very relevant towards each other. And they are not to intertwined with the rest of the world. Mostly interracting with only each other + China that’s already a in game civ. Not to mention both being in high demand.

2 Likes

Hopefully you are right. I hope we will at least get some information about an upcoming DLC soon. This would be important to keep the game alive.

Now perhaps this civ should be referred to as the Siamese because it sounds better to use that civ name.

most likely yes, consider how AOE4 naming conventions goes, and they want to be more specific.
I referred to Thai here as to cover the Thai-people conside the kingdom of siam fragmented and united several times.

I really love their architecture and armor.

Here is a suggestion of change, for the elephants. Since elephants are sacred to the Thais, especially a certain type of “the white”, it would be better to deepen this view by giving elephants a little more attention. Putting in the game 2 types of elephants with extra functions between each one.

Thailand would only have war elephants for close combat. They would not have archer elephants. This war elephant, can be produced in large quantities in the stables and he would have an ability to collect relics with his trunk. A cool thing would be to give a healing aura to the elephant that is carrying the relic, where the units that are close to that elephant will heal slowly every second.

The war elephants would have to be inferior to a Delhi Sultanate elephants as the ones from Delhi will have superior armor and health. However, elephants from Thailand would be slightly cheaper than those from the Delhi Sultanate. However, a Thai elephant could outrun one from the Delhi Sultanate if it was exposed to a “war cry” that would act as a frenezzi, giving the Thai elephant more speed and agility, as well as extra damage against cavalry and buildings. This “battle cry” would only be there for the white elephant to be able to activate it.

• History of the white/albino elephant:
    In Thailand, White Elephants are a symbol of good luck due to their connection with the birth of Buddha and because they belonged to the king. The white elephant (actually more pink in color) is a symbol of royalty as well, as well as being considered sacred.
    Many years ago, the more Elephants a king had (especially the White ones) the more status and power he enjoyed.
    Competition for white elephants led the royal courts to go to war with each other. The most prominent of these wars were the so-called “elephant wars” between the Thai and Burmese kingdoms.

• Returning to the game (possibility of gameplay):
    This white elephant could be produced in some landmark, or even generated by some landmark or even generated in the city center (*if it is generated in the city center, it would be similar to the unique unit of the Mongols, where there would be only one in the game, maybe some landmark age specific “3 or 4” could give an extra, so you have two white elephants).
    If it is chosen to be an elephant generated in the city center having between 1 or a maximum of 2 in the whole game, it could have a little more life than a normal elephant and be able to walk a little faster, in addition to having armor and visual unique (obviously, he would be weaker at the beginning of the game and every time the player advances in the era, the white elephant gains more life and strength). And the coolest thing comes now, he would have active skills to inspire and buff specific units, whether for infantry or cavalry. Initially he would have skills focused on inspiring and boosting infantries and throughout the era he would release another skill focused on cavalry+elephants.
    These skills could be a “war cry” or “elephant call” that would make the units closer to the white elephant more powerful, but each “call/shout” would be for different functions and units, making the player choose which one is the best time and what strategy to use, as they would last for a certain period of time, having to wait to be loaded and thus use the skill again.

→ One note: it would be nice to actually add thailand as a civilization in the future, because this civilization has never appeared in any Age of Empires, until the present date (2023).

White elephant pictures:

1 Like

I had that in thought, but I think it might be perhaps to strong. This was before the Ottoman was released.

If they make healing aura the same the ottoman healing aura, i think it can work out pretty descently. But I think the elephants would suit the role better as a Religious unit as its main purpose. Perhaps even replace the monk? So it would be something akin to the Rus-warrior monks.

And yes, although I am very biased due to my heritage lol, I agree that it would be very nice to see Thailand being featured in a game like this, consider how very rich it’s history is.

1 Like

It’s not hard to balance that. It wouldn’t be a quick cure, it’s actually a slow cure. Well, the Mongols have a landmark, which can heal in an area, and the building is mobile, so it can be packed and unpacked anywhere. Even the Delhi Sultanate has a landmark, which heals by area, in addition to the Ottomans you mention, who can heal during combat.

I would only like to see 2 types of elephants, a warrior elephant and a sacred one. The warrior elephant could use the relic to heal the troops.

Now, the White Elephant could also collect relics, but maybe give him a different function, maybe he could strengthen himself, and instead of carrying the relics in his elephant trunk, he puts them in baskets on the sides of his body, similar to sacks of goods, in short, he could take up to 3 relics with him, 2 relics on the sides and the last one on the back. Remembering that he can only get the relics in the age of the castles (age 3). So he strengthens himself or he can also take the relic to a warrior elephant that will still be manufactured in some stable.

I think the correct thing would be to put the white elephant as a unit that would come at the beginning of the game, similar to the “KHAN” unit of the Mongols. This white elephant would be slower than a horse or camel, but faster than a foot soldier or similar, it would also have a low armor to become lighter and faster. Initially it would be weaker and would evolve over the ages. In the feudal era, it would release a “battle cry” to aid the infantry, and in the castle age, it would release the “elephant’s call” that would aid the cavalry and other elephants. Of course these are just suggestions, we can refine and improve these ideas.

→ Placing elephants as a religious style unit, which can inspire troops and collect relics, would be something that would suit the civilization of Thailand a lot, or as you say, similar to the warrior monks Rus. The thailand really treat the elephants as sacred, especially the white ones (pink in color), as in the photo below:

1 Like

I like the idea that the thai elephant can collect relic and give some buff to surrounding units. Most relics just sit in the base safely, making it boring. The buff should be something worth the risk of bringing it to the battlefield like the battle cry skill that increase 50% attack speed and 20% movement for 10 seconds. It gives like 15% dmg aura whether it has relic or not.

Not sure about healing aura/AOE tho, we alr have it a lot (Eng otto delhi abba Mongol (and china a bit))

The unit, I think, should be slower than regular infantry to allow its counterplay and be more of a supporting unit, Like omega Mehter, since the white elephant rarely occurs.

Or maybe it can have a small aura to power boost the speed of nearby working villagers for 20% for 15 seconds, so it can act like a weaker version of HRE prelate, but you need to micro it around the base frequently. (the unit can be trained like 3-4 maximum)

Yes, there are many possibilities.

I just hope to see Thailand as a civilization one day. So far she has never had the chance to appear as a playable in any Age of Empires.

With its different architecture and gameplay focused on using elephants to inspire troops and even who knows how to buff the economy, in addition to being able to collect and make use of relics using elephants for this, it would be something very cool to see, we would have a civilization with differentiated elephants.

1 Like

Good concept.

I must admit that I don’t know much about Thai culture, so I wouldn’t know how to evaluate if there are more technologies or extra unique units to take advantage of.

Of course, due to the location of many of the Landmarks, in the north of Thailand, I suppose that it is a different culture from the Mahapajit Empire, which belongs more to the archipelago.

Regarding stability, I would say that some economic bonus is missing, or that the creation of military units is discouraged. The monks are fine, and lanmarks that reduce the cost of technologies or create military units as well. Consider adding more squad types in the Kraal Pavilion for example.

1 Like

:wink:

1 Like

:smile: