The 2022 Spring DE Screenshot Contest is Starting Now!

We all know it, aoe2 players know it, and aoe4 players know it-- AoE3 is the shiniest and prettiest rts game ever made. And now with the new and improved photo mode feature, it’s easier than ever to take quality screenshots.

So I think it’s high time for the 3RD DE SCREENSHOT CONTEST TO BEGIN!

We had some amazing entries in the last two screenshot contest threads, which you can view:

The last two screenshot contest threads are here:

and here:

Some tips for making great screenshots:

-Compose a scene in the scenario editor, either from scratch on on a premade made. The “embellishments” category in the Add Units window is a great place to find lots of amazing models, like the rugs and teapots from the image I made below, for instance.

-Go into camera editor and click free cam. Now you can zoom in or out as far as you want, and adjust the pitch of the camera with the cntrl + arrow keys, to get those super close-up shots!

-To add sky to your images, either use skybox 1 or skybox, OR, use the much better sky backgrounds that you can get by searching for Misc Props in embellishment, and then right-clicking through the objects until you get either a bright light sky, or a dark night sky dome.

-Play around with the new photo mode! It seems very promising so far. You access it by hitting pause in a skirmish or in multiplayer, and then you select photomode (beta) from the menu.

SUBMISSION RULES for the 2022 Spring DE Screenshot Contest:

• Give every submission a title
  • One submission per post
  • You can submit as many images as you’d like, but make sure to make a new post for each one.
  • Crop or remove the UI, submissions with a visible UI will be disqualified.
  • No memes

CONTEST AND JUDGING RULES
Today is March 19th. The spring contest will run until the end of May. The top 5 most “Liked” images will be posted in a new thread, and a poll will be made to pick the best screenshot of the spring!

33 Likes

Nice one, I will try to make a screenshot using the newest photomode. Maybe one month should be extended though.

3 Likes

Peaceful Congo Night

9 Likes

What if we let AoE2 forums to vote the winner??

I think it’ll be better to peak the interest of AoE IV players instead…

2 Likes

how about we get some actual submissions in here before we start deciding who gets to judge the contest

1 Like

I guess everyone is thinking what to post. I think it should be something quarterly and not monthly.

Yeah one month is maybe too short of a timeframe. Seasonal format 4editions/year seems like a great starting point.

I’ll be honest I haven’t messed with the new photo mode too much (started too many new games recently!) but just to kickstart.
Will ‘pin’ this one and post few more things later for sure.

9 Likes

8 Likes

allright, I’ll extend the deadline-- how about March till the end of May?

I don’t think I’m in a position to say one way or the other, but if people would like 4editions (+maybe special event ones like for Xmas-new year season) then I guess the most natural solution is sticking to the calendar:
21 III - 22 VI - 23 IX - 22 XII
In case of increased frequency and 2month range- same thing. Jan+Feb, Mar+Apr etc.

Also not saying like 1month editions are bad, it all depends on how many people are interested. With a lot of submissions 1 month might turn out to be just right :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Tentative name: “A Profitable Alliance”

Lalibela

11 Likes

you might also know the map used in my first pictures in this thread :wink:

more to come

1 Like

hello dev,
how do i access the skins of the explorer from the scenario editor?

Crossing into the Kingdom of Kongo

17 Likes

I’ll post one soon… Don’t have any time for now.

I thought about complaining on the low participation given the new feature. Then I realized 1) It doesn’t come with camera angle degree change 2) It would be hypocritical to complain without a submission of my own.

So in hopes of inspiring (devs to buff flamethrowes range to 14 cough cough ) the community to participate more in this contest, behold: Rain of Fire

2 Likes

It does come with camera angle degree change, it’s just not labeled well. You can use alt+WASD to tilt the camera as well as rotate it. Right now it’s just labeled “camera rotate” but it also has a tilt function.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! And yeah the health bars can be annoying