Screenshot Contest

EDIT: submissions are now closed! go here to vote on the best images! VOTE for the Top 2 of the August AoE3 DE Eye Candy Screenshot Contest Submissions!

Everyone knows AoE3 is the most a e s t h e t i c of all the age games. With all these amazing new units in the Africa DLC, I want to bring back an old tradition that I recall from the early days of AoE3 forums. The screenshot contest! Post your best, most aesthetic, most well crafted screenshots, composed either in-game or in the scenario editor. I remember back on aoe3heavengames there were some truly awe inspiring shots that people took. At the end of the month I will collate them all together and we can vote on the best one!

Some tips for making great screenshots that I’ve learned during this course of this competition:

-Go into camera editor and click free cam. Now you can zoom in or out as far as you want, and adjust the pitch of the camera with the cntrl + arrow keys, to get those super close-up shots!

-To add sky to your images, either use skybox 1 or skybox, OR, use the much better sky backgrounds that you can get by searching for Misc Props in embellishment, and then right-clicking through the objects until you get either a bright light sky, or a dark night sky dome.

A little history lesson for you young ones-- back in the day (2006), screen shots in aoe3 were called eye candy, and there were huge threads devoted to them on aoe3heavengames. A lot of the links are now dead, but there’s still some helpful hints and inspiring images from that time if you’re interested:

The Eye Candy Guide

Eye-Candy: Best Of AoE3

Eye Candy Thread

here’s my submission:

The Sultan of Malindi presenting a giraffe as a gift to the Ming Admiral Zheng He

Malindi, central Kenya coast

30 Likes

Here is mine, keeping it simple.

19 Likes

Not a cell phone in sight. Just people living in the moment.

16 Likes

I hope the Gaia of AOE-4 is the same or better.

33 Likes

Praying before a battle:

PD: i’d love a no UI hotkey just to take screenshots, the game looks beautiful

10 Likes

There is a game command to remove the UI while taking a screenshot.

WHAT?! Really? Do I have to enable it in hotkeys or something?

go to > " C:\Users\Username\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\Randomnumber\Startup "
Create file : " user.cfg "
Edit file and add " screenShotHideUI "
Save. Start game and enjoy

4 Likes

Amazingm, thanks! Can i play MP with this change too, or would it desync?

Its acting like a grafic option. It wont desync, or stop you from playing MP

5 Likes

I love Hausa :wink:

(not a real submission for the contest btw)

34 Likes

Ok here is my more advanced one, very happy how it turned out.

21 Likes

Screen of my new scenario that presents the Ethiopians.

8 Likes

Just took this one in a match. I love the new models

8 Likes

Love this. Absolutely beautiful. Looks like – no-- FEELS like my homeland.

2 Likes

I share an image for this topic

17 Likes

Oh this is SUCH a neat idea! I’ll try to participate later if I get the chance :open_mouth:

15 Likes

Japanese imperialism

12 Likes

New image with Kassa Hailou

23 Likes

A scene that could also work on Age of Empires 2: Feudal armies battling it out in a street

I don’t think these guys are going to make it:

Maybe they can be saved?

12 Likes