Screenshot Contest

EDIT: submissions are now closed! go here to vote on the best images! VOTE for the Top 2 of the August AoE3 DE Eye Candy Screenshot Contest Submissions!

Everyone knows AoE3 is the most a e s t h e t i c of all the age games. With all these amazing new units in the Africa DLC, I want to bring back an old tradition that I recall from the early days of AoE3 forums. The screenshot contest! Post your best, most aesthetic, most well crafted screenshots, composed either in-game or in the scenario editor. I remember back on aoe3heavengames there were some truly awe inspiring shots that people took. At the end of the month I will collate them all together and we can vote on the best one!

Some tips for making great screenshots that I’ve learned during this course of this competition:

-Go into camera editor and click free cam. Now you can zoom in or out as far as you want, and adjust the pitch of the camera with the cntrl + arrow keys, to get those super close-up shots!

-To add sky to your images, either use skybox 1 or skybox, OR, use the much better sky backgrounds that you can get by searching for Misc Props in embellishment, and then right-clicking through the objects until you get either a bright light sky, or a dark night sky dome.

A little history lesson for you young ones-- back in the day (2006), screen shots in aoe3 were called eye candy, and there were huge threads devoted to them on aoe3heavengames. A lot of the links are now dead, but there’s still some helpful hints and inspiring images from that time if you’re interested:

The Eye Candy Guide

Eye-Candy: Best Of AoE3

Eye Candy Thread

here’s my submission:

The Sultan of Malindi presenting a giraffe as a gift to the Ming Admiral Zheng He

Malindi, central Kenya coast

31 Likes

Here is mine, keeping it simple.

19 Likes

Not a cell phone in sight. Just people living in the moment.

17 Likes

I hope the Gaia of AOE-4 is the same or better.

33 Likes

Praying before a battle:

PD: i’d love a no UI hotkey just to take screenshots, the game looks beautiful

10 Likes

There is a game command to remove the UI while taking a screenshot.

WHAT?! Really? Do I have to enable it in hotkeys or something?

go to > " C:\Users\Username\Games\Age of Empires 3 DE\Randomnumber\Startup "
Create file : " user.cfg "
Edit file and add " screenShotHideUI "
Save. Start game and enjoy

4 Likes

Amazingm, thanks! Can i play MP with this change too, or would it desync?

Its acting like a grafic option. It wont desync, or stop you from playing MP

5 Likes

I love Hausa :wink:

(not a real submission for the contest btw)

34 Likes

Ok here is my more advanced one, very happy how it turned out.

21 Likes

Loving this thread, thanks @squamiger8043 et al.
This one was taken by someone on the dev team on Tassili.

38 Likes

Screen of my new scenario that presents the Ethiopians.

8 Likes

Just took this one in a match. I love the new models

8 Likes

Love this. Absolutely beautiful. Looks like – no-- FEELS like my homeland.

2 Likes

I share an image for this topic

17 Likes

Oh this is SUCH a neat idea! I’ll try to participate later if I get the chance :open_mouth:

15 Likes

Japanese imperialism

12 Likes

New image with Kassa Hailou

23 Likes