Hello, people. I created this post intending to find a consensus among the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition player community for witch improvements the game should receive, and making them reach the developers team.
The idea is to add new concepts to the game, achieving for it a balance between making it feel yet like the original Age of Empires, and a more modern, polished version of it. Age of Empires: Gold Edition is one of my childhood games back in the 2000’s, and let’s assume that some of it’s gameplay aspects that already don’t worked well at that time still are present on the DE version.
I’m separating this topic in two different kinds of demand: Essential ones and Optional, but welcome ones. The first are those that you think the game cannot stand without it. The last, are improvements that are not essential, but would make the game look and feel better.
For me, we should demand the following improvements of each type:
- Gates: yeah, I know. This topic has been exhaustively discussed already, the developers said they weren’t going to add them to the game, calling the absence of gates a “feature” from it.
In my opinion, the game always played awful without them. It’s simple irritating to have enemies entering on your town from the same gap in the wall you are obligated to leave at it for your own units to move in and out. For me, being obliged to keep some units to guard the gap, as they will eventually die, it’s not an option. Constantly building and deleting wall sections and houses to be used as gates aren’t an option either.
Gates are simple, gates are intuitive, gates are life (literally). Please, developers, add gates to the game.
- “Don’t attack” stance for catapults, and maybe all the other units: So, you reunited your forces in the front of the enemy base, ready to attack. Then, out of a sudden, the enemy units march through the… hmm, gap in the walls directly at your armies position. Your watchful units march at their encounter. Your catapults, not so much behind the action, fire ruthless at your pitiful foes. And, thankfully for them, they are gone. And your own units, either.
As this kind of enraging disaster is common place in this game since it’s launch, I believe the DE version should have this command included on it to prevent this occurrences, OR the catapults “collateral damage” could be removed.
- Unit stances: In every situation where an enemy unit enters the sight of one of your own units, they start following the enemy tirelessly to the ends of the map, until they kill the unit, or it disappear from it’s range. So, they are always at “aggressive stance”. This is especially inconvenient for base defense. You want your units to attack any foe that comes close, but you want them to come back to their original position if this enemy retreat, so the “Stand ground” command isn’t enough. All units should have the “Defensive” and “Aggressive” stances added to their command options, OR become defensive by default.
- The option for the units to enter on a basic, line formation when they reach their destination: This is a characteristic present on Warcraft III units movement that I think would be welcome on this game, and not as hard to implement than making the units move in formation, as in Age II. Together with this option, another one, for the units to keep been messed all around as it is originally, might also be present. The idea of the units make a formation at their destination is to avoid this old problem I mention here: https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/awful-pathfinding-behavior-from-the-original-game-still-present-on-de-version-part-1/77293
- To turn the Trade Workshop a buildable structure, that trains a land walking trade unit: The title it’s self explanatory - as it is impossible in this game to trade by land, this would be a welcome addition.
To maintain the game as close as possible from it’s original identity, modernizing it, without become Age of Empires II on the Ancient World, I believe the following moves should not be made:
- The option to garrison units.
- Other formations.
- Fish traps for fishing boats.
- The “guard” and “follow unit” commands.
Optional, but welcome demands
- A unique HUD design for each civ.
- A single Wonder model for each civ: This and the one above would enhance the game visually by a large amount, as it makes each civ feels more singular, with something unique for they identity.
- Remake and add the original game cinematics: As this game is called the “Definitive version” from the original, that means it is it’s last version, the one that will be played in the future and beyond, so at least it should include on it all the content from the original game.
- Redesign the mission briefing screen to resemble this screen from the original game:
- Redesign the Egyptian Tool Age house model to look closer as the original one:
- Add more background images for the Main menu screen, like a remade version from this two:
The background could work as a slide presentation!
That’s it people, these are my considerations, please comment them and add your one bellow!